Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?
I guess I think this is either a legal question, or a moral question.

As far as personal opinion goes, I don't think it is moral to end a life out of malice or negligence. But I don't think it is "immoral" for a bear to kill you or a shark to eat you.

I don't think it is moral to kill a fish or a cow for fun/entertainment. But I don't think it is Immoral to fish, and eat your catch, or slaughter a cow and eat it.

I don't really imagine life as a "right" or a "privilege". It just is. And it can be lost or stolen. The process of taking life is what needs to be considered.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
22-07-2014, 10:45 AM
(22-07-2014 10:43 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't really imagine life as a "right" or a "privilege". It just is. And it can be lost or stolen.

That. Yes.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-07-2014, 01:51 PM
(26-06-2014 01:50 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So: Is life a right or a privilege? Is it both?
Rights are a human made concept. A belief. A subjective belief.

You can call whatever you want a "right". I don't even think there is a well defined definition of that label.

Some living things we kill because we want to eat them. Some living things we kill because we compete for the same resource e.g. killing ants that get into our food.
Some living things we kill because they are a danger to us, e.g. vicious dogs or in some places serial rapists. Some living things we kill because we don't want to spend years of our lives taking care of them, e.g. unborn babies.

I don't think it is important to use a label such as "right".
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post