Is Life a Simulation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 08:18 PM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: Is Life a Simulation?
(15-04-2017 06:33 PM)mordant Wrote:  Existence is all we know -- whether the inputs to our perceptions are direct or indirect, existence is all we have to deal with.

Our perceptions are definitely simulations, so we only perceive the facts indirectly. Add memory to the equation and you have the soup of the soup of the duck.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
15-04-2017, 09:31 PM
I thought we were being brains in vats. Now we're doing simulations? I guess we could be brains in vats undergoing simulations while having direct perceptual input blocked. Yeah, that must be it. So now the only question is .. the blue pill or the red pill?

Nope, this won't fly. I don't have the energy for conspiracy theories. Too much trouble.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
15-04-2017, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 07:09 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(C'est tout la meme chose.)
"Il faut cultiver notre jardin" (Candide / Voltaire).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-04-2017, 03:37 AM
(15-04-2017 09:31 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I guess we could be brains in vats undergoing simulations while having direct perceptual input blocked.

When I say our perceptions are simulations, I mean they are highly selected by our shifting focus and then symbolically processed or interpreted in accordance with our interests. However, it isn't difficult to conclude that those perceptions, especially when aided by science to overcome such subjectivities, are reflective of realities because they would be of little real use to us if they were not.

Nevertheless, selective focus interpreted by selective interests also produce all kinds of human delusions. Thus the reason they should be considered simulations rather than direct perceptions.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
16-04-2017, 05:38 AM
No way to tell as far as I can see. Doesn't matter.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
16-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Do you know how you can tell we're not living in the matrix? If we were the food would be better. -- Dr. Sheldon Cooper " The Big Bang Theory"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
16-04-2017, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2017 02:58 PM by Full Circle.)
[Image: trapped.png]
Plato's Cave allegory

[Image: stanley.gif]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
16-04-2017, 06:25 AM
If the universe was a simulation then things we observed at a further distance or smaller scale would not provide new information. So far better instruments have resulted in better resolution.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
16-04-2017, 06:57 AM
(16-04-2017 06:25 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If the universe was a simulation then things we observed at a further distance or smaller scale would not provide new information. So far better instruments have resulted in better resolution.

[Image: Early-Galaxies.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-04-2017, 12:12 PM
WWWJS?*

*What would William James say? I'm betting Gawd'll be in there somewhere.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post