Is Mac a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Is Mac a religion?
Since mysticjbyrd already asked if MacDonald's is a religion, I'd like to know if Mac is a religion too.

[Image: Book_of_Jobs.jpg]

Apple fans have a cultish devotion to this company. Could religion play a part in that devotion?

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
RE: Is Mac a religion?
Sometimes it seems like it. People pay way too much for Apple products, most of it for the prestige of using an Apple product alone. Comparable alternatives often cost much less, have the same level of quality, and share the same ease of use.

Also, there's this for those who haven't seen it yet:

Apple is much better at marketing their greed than any other tech company out there.

Plus, I just don't think Apple was particularly revolutionary. All of the things they're credited for would have come about regardless: OS with a GUI, MP3 players, smart phones, tablet computers, etc.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
09-11-2011, 05:13 PM
The whole apple thing is a bit of a fad it'l pass.

I really don't like apple. I'm being a bit of a hypocrite as I own an iPod and usually browse the forum on it but I won't be replacing it when it inevitable breaks down.

The thing I don't like about apple is how they buy up any patents they can to try and prevent anyone competing with them in the touchscreen smart phone Market. They have the If you own everything no one can compete with you mentality. It reminds me of the way Microsoft used to deal with competition not that long ago.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
09-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, their iPhone developer's agreement is certainly as obnoxious as any other holy scripture. The lawyers at my work said "Not just no, but hell no!" So we program for Android.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
09-11-2011, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2011 09:25 PM by KVron.)
Well, it seems that apple fan boys are as close minded as jehovah's witnesses when talking about Apple products.

You can't say there's something wrong because they will use any (illogical) argument to say the contrary. They say "the others" are wrong because they're not using Apple products, etc.

They're just the Amway's members (or partners), by the way.

(09-11-2011 05:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well, their iPhone developer's agreement is certainly as obnoxious as any other holy scripture. The lawyers at my work said "Not just no, but hell no!" So we program for Android.

Yeah... they want to stay in control. Don't ask. Don't complain... and it seems people like to be under someone else's control.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
10-11-2011, 03:11 AM
I own and use Apple products, and I love them. I don't like Apples business methods though, but I have hopes for new new CEO, who opened up for charity again. I didn't like Steve Jobs at all. Creepy ego bastard. Brainy and brilliant though.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
10-11-2011, 06:37 AM
I too am an Apple fan, I use mostly Apple products because I like them and they work. I don't buy windows stuff because I detest Windows OS, have never used Linux although I did use Unix a lot when At Uni.
I like my iPod touch it works, it has much less problems than my friends Android phones, I have used them and I don't like them, I prefer iOS.
I don't think Apple users are as 'religious' as at first they seem there are certainly people out there that think Apple can do no wrong I'm not one of them, I criticise when they blunder.
You have this with all tech cultures there are Windows, Linux etc enthusiast that think they have seen the light and everything else is rubbish. It's just that Apple is riding high at the minute and will attract more attention.
I say buy what you like, if it works for you buy it, if it doesn't put it on ebay.
[+] 2 users Like Lwio's post
10-11-2011, 08:27 AM
The Beatles are an ancient religion, as Justin Bieber is a current one.
The Twilight series and Spiderman, LOTR and Harry Potter.
Marilyn Munroe and John Wayne.
Harley Davidson and Mustang.
Football, hockey, baseball, basketball. Curling and polo are only cults.
Civil war re-enactment and nazi memorabilia.
Santa collections and xmas decorating.
Chocolate, whiskey and pizza.
Lost, Sex in the City and Survivor.
Hula hoops and frisbees, chia pets and garden gnomes.

Please, lets' not start a whole new thread for each one!

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
11-11-2011, 05:40 PM
All corporations took a few pages from the religious playbook, primarily propaganda.

If they can get a bunch of kids to think their product is hip and cool, then they can create a loyalty to the brand, despite whether the products are inferior or not.
18-11-2011, 06:39 AM
I love Mac and apple products and yes I know what you mean about it being a religion people treat it as so. But when they piss me off I don't defend them to the death.

Please read my Blog
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence"
- David Hume