Is McDonald's a religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Is McDonald's a religion?
Think about it, they sell garbage, which is addictive, and they try to indoctrinate children to ensure business productivity in the next generation. They also routinely take donations for "good causes".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
23-10-2011, 05:08 PM
RE: Is McDonald's a religion?
Actually, the Ronald McDonald house is a great charity and does a lot of positive things. A few years ago when various charities were getting ripped apart for how much overhead they carried vs. how much of what they did was actually "charitable", the Ronald McDonald house came out very favorably.

Just sayin'.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-10-2011, 05:33 PM
If it's a religion, I'm an apostate.
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
23-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't think we can count consumables because they literally feed the body chemicals that can't always be gotten any other way. If we were to target them, we'd have to add tobacco companies (aimed at children, addictive, becomes a way of life... you live for the cigarette and you are mostly comfortable talking to other "smokers"), as well as all other drugs.

I did sort of get the feeling that I was worshiping the cigarette while I was a smoker, but never to the point that it bothered me. Plus in all honesty people look a lot cooler while smoking than while dressed in dorky suits attending church.

There was also a lot of ceremony of sorts attached to being a serious pot smoker. Especially when in groups. Especially when someone within that group had recently purchased some new paraphernalia. I am so glad those days are behind me.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
23-10-2011, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2011 09:17 PM by kim.)
Good work is good work, no matter the charitable organization. A few religious organizations do good and charitable work... probably for the purpose of converting souls and redirecting donation money ... but that is another thread altogether.
However, "Is McDonald's a religion?" compels one to further question… is the corporate economic structure itself, a religion?
In light of all the aforementioned McDonald's evidence and more, I would have to say … they sure as fuck are trying to be...
Corporations infiltrate American mainstream culture and are quickly absorbed, providing only a patent or a brand as proof of supply and demand for their existence. They spend many millions of dollars in advertising and many billions more in lobbying congress, so that we have no alternative but to bow down to them, their dogma, and their branded icons of worship. They tell us that we need them and that what they do is too complicated for us to understand. They prey on our insecurities, hijack our reliance, and use our loyalty against us through collusion to further expand their existence and profit margin. They have plunged us into disaster and tell us it won't happen again, yet continually deny compliance to reform. They even make regulation of corporations punishable by law, so we can not demand of them accountability or reason. They achieve much of this; to negatively effect our environment and our minds with impunity, because they can exist for several generations. And yes, corporations have, with our acceptance by law, been given the status of "human being"… an immortal human being.
Alexander Solzhenitsyn said, "… the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart, and through all human hearts." In other words, the acceptance of good and evil fluctuate for each human in their lifetime. But it is within the conscience of each human being where the decision rests, to do and accept good, or to do and accept evil. Where then, rests the line separating good and evil, when this "human" has no heart, when there is no singular conscience for decision or reasonable time for accountability? Responsibility for good or evil, freely perpetrated by an immortal being goes unpunished, ignored, and accepted. Certainly… this must be a God.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
24-10-2011, 05:49 AM
I'm reminded that Al Capone gave lots of money to the Church.
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
25-10-2011, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2011 12:05 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
It is actually quite interesting, as imo it seems that the corps have really took a few pages from the religions.

(23-10-2011 09:14 PM)kim Wrote:  Good work is good work, no matter the charitable organization. A few religious organizations do good and charitable work... probably for the purpose of converting souls and redirecting donation money ... but that is another thread altogether.
However, "Is McDonald's a religion?" compels one to further question… is the corporate economic structure itself, a religion?
In light of all the aforementioned McDonald's evidence and more, I would have to say … they sure as fuck are trying to be...
Corporations infiltrate American mainstream culture and are quickly absorbed, providing only a patent or a brand as proof of supply and demand for their existence. They spend many millions of dollars in advertising and many billions more in lobbying congress, so that we have no alternative but to bow down to them, their dogma, and their branded icons of worship. They tell us that we need them and that what they do is too complicated for us to understand. They prey on our insecurities, hijack our reliance, and use our loyalty against us through collusion to further expand their existence and profit margin. They have plunged us into disaster and tell us it won't happen again, yet continually deny compliance to reform. They even make regulation of corporations punishable by law, so we can not demand of them accountability or reason. They achieve much of this; to negatively effect our environment and our minds with impunity, because they can exist for several generations. And yes, corporations have, with our acceptance by law, been given the status of "human being"… an immortal human being.
Alexander Solzhenitsyn said, "… the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart, and through all human hearts." In other words, the acceptance of good and evil fluctuate for each human in their lifetime. But it is within the conscience of each human being where the decision rests, to do and accept good, or to do and accept evil. Where then, rests the line separating good and evil, when this "human" has no heart, when there is no singular conscience for decision or reasonable time for accountability? Responsibility for good or evil, freely perpetrated by an immortal being goes unpunished, ignored, and accepted. Certainly… this must be a God.
Great post.

"And yes, corporations have, with our acceptance by law, been given the status of "human being"… an immortal human being."
They are by law humans, but only when its beneficial to them. The rest of the time, they are above the law of humans.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
27-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Uhm. What kind of forum topic is this? O______________________O
Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Bringing up pot smoking as similar to religion really got me laughing. Not because I think it's wrong, but because of how true it can really be. I noticed this a long time ago, and since then, my brother, best friend and I, have run with it. We are all atheists, and we smoke together regularly. (I smoke both recreationally and us it as a pain medication. Different strains do different things. My reference in this thread is aimed towards the recreational side).

- hitting the bong = taking communion
- the coffee table on which we keep all the paraphenelia at my bros = the temple
- when we get together to smoke = sunday mass
- 4:20 = when the churchbells ring
- the grow room = church
- we christen new paraphenalia
- if someone passes out, they are "praying to Jebus"

Pretty much anything has a religous parallel.

Shit, maybe I shouldn't be the admin here after all! I think I have been indoctrinated! (first time smoking)

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
(23-10-2011 05:33 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  If it's a religion, I'm an apostate.

Same.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire