Is Money Real?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Re: RE: Is Money Real?
(26-09-2013 06:53 AM)I and I Wrote:  So you are disagreeing with me and the other posters that posted in this thread.

How do you determine the substantial value of a shank in prison relative to cigarettes?

I claim that there is nothing substantial behind this exchange and that the belief that money represents something substantial is merely the only thing that makes money worth anything.

You determine it by what you can get in the market for it. It's never a static level because it's a system dependent on at least two sides.

In a day, any type of money could be worth nothing given certain conditions.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2013, 07:50 AM
RE: Is Money Real?
So the question is, "Is value real?" Much harder question. So, I'll try to help with the original question instead. Tongue

The first installment of The Wizards of Money talks about the process of money creation. A link at the bottom of that page is a ZIP of all 22 episodes.

This Unwelcome Guests episode is where the first WoM episode debuted.

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
26-09-2013, 08:01 AM
(26-09-2013 07:50 AM)I Am Wrote:  So the question is, "Is value real?"

I answered that already. What more do you need?

Huh

26-09-2013, 08:02 AM
(26-09-2013 08:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 07:50 AM)I Am Wrote:  So the question is, "Is value real?"

I answered that already. What more do you need?

Huh

Are you real? Now that is a question that deserves pondering.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
26-09-2013, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2013 02:42 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-09-2013 06:53 AM)I and I Wrote:  I claim that there is nothing substantial behind this exchange and that the belief that money represents something substantial is merely the only thing that makes money worth anything.

Well Idiot Squared. That's all ya need. As long as two people agree that it REPRESENTS anything (of value) in the exchange, then THAT is all the "substance" needed to make it have value. I mean hell, even an I and I brain cell could be used to represent "something of value", as utterly CRAZY as that sounds.
Try paying your rent next month with toilet paper, then ask yourself your idiot question again

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

26-09-2013, 08:45 AM
(26-09-2013 08:02 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 08:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I answered that already. What more do you need?

Huh

Are you real? Now that is a question that deserves pondering.Drinking Beverage

I am as real as black holes.

Drinking Beverage
26-09-2013, 09:20 AM
(26-09-2013 08:45 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 08:02 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Are you real? Now that is a question that deserves pondering.Drinking Beverage

I am as real as black holes.

Drinking Beverage

So a very high probabilty of existence.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
26-09-2013, 09:21 AM
(26-09-2013 07:32 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 06:53 AM)I and I Wrote:  So you are disagreeing with me and the other posters that posted in this thread.

How do you determine the substantial value of a shank in prison relative to cigarettes?

I claim that there is nothing substantial behind this exchange and that the belief that money represents something substantial is merely the only thing that makes money worth anything.

You determine it by what you can get in the market for it. It's never a static level because it's a system dependent on at least two sides.

In a day, any type of money could be worth nothing given certain conditions.

an individual exchange of money for a good is not determined solely by that exchange. It is determined by other factors beyond a particular exchange. So it's not just a way one can determine what it can or can't get in the market. What is the market btw?
26-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Precious metals have value attributed to them because they are a finite source (just don't do what the Spanish did with the Aztecs) hence why you will hear economic doomsayers bleating about buying some, like it will save your life.

Fiat currency is just paper, however there is mutual trust and in some regards "faith" and it is this that makes it real.

Are you not going to answer my question from the other two threads I and I?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
26-09-2013, 02:21 PM
This whole question seems to be I&I trying to beat up a strawman of other people's beliefs on the other thread.

Short answer: no, money's value is fictitious because it is agreed upon by the people exchanging the currency, there is nothing innate about the mystical quality we place upon it.

For the record, nobody disagrees with belief being a prerequisite for "fact" by your definition. The entire definition of "fact" was the source of disagreement, hence you have neither made any revelations with this question nor have you caught anybody in a contradiction even though they are supporting your original premise.

As you were, everyone. Drinking Beverage

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post