Is Money Real?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2013, 02:22 AM
RE: Is Money Real?
(27-09-2013 08:44 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 02:17 AM)I and I Wrote:  Earlier in a different thread I argued that belief is needed to make something a fact. Others believed that belief was not needed to make something a fact.

How does this work with money?

It doesn't.

Money is explicitly a human social construct (cf every on-topic reply in the thread).

If you're going somewhere with this, go there much faster. You'll waste fewer peoples' time.

If money is merely a social construct then why do societies act as if money is more than simply a social construct, and act as if money is worth something?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2013, 04:00 AM
Re: RE: Is Money Real?
(28-09-2013 02:22 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 08:44 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It doesn't.

Money is explicitly a human social construct (cf every on-topic reply in the thread).

If you're going somewhere with this, go there much faster. You'll waste fewer peoples' time.

If money is merely a social construct then why do societies act as if money is more than simply a social construct, and act as if money is worth something?

According to who they do?

People being social creatures just have a lot of desire to control their social standing.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-09-2013, 06:23 AM
How is the price of a commodity determined? It isn't entirely up to the individual seller or buyer, then by what means are prices determined?

If you say "the market". Then what is the market.
28-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Re: RE: Is Money Real?
(28-09-2013 06:23 AM)I and I Wrote:  How is the price of a commodity determined? It isn't entirely up to the individual seller or buyer, then by what means are prices determined?

If you say "the market". Then what is the market.

The market is the demand, or lack there of, for the commodity. It's that ever changing social community.

If shivs are desired, they will fetch more than an item less desired such as Or at least so if they are harder to get. Like in comparison to cigarettes.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-09-2013, 11:45 AM
(28-09-2013 02:22 AM)I and I Wrote:  If money is merely a social construct then why do societies act as if money is more than simply a social construct, and act as if money is worth something?

Because if you don't treat a medium of exchange as if it has value it doesn't have value. QED.

You going somewhere with this?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
28-09-2013, 11:55 AM
The value of a commodity is determined by what people are willing to trade it for and what people are willing to trade to get it. The usual medium of exchange for that is currency. If you go to sell a lollypop for $50,000 you most likely won't get a lot of takers. If you go to sell it for $0.50, you will get more.

This has been explained a few times already. I can only conclud that you are either being deliberately obtuse, or you're a total moron. If you have an actual point, then make it. If you don't, well, I'm back to "total moron".

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
28-09-2013, 02:53 PM
(26-09-2013 02:17 AM)I and I Wrote:  How does this work with money? I believe that, the belief that money is real is needed for money to function, if people didn't have confidence in money then we would see drastic economic affects.

Is money something that we all just mutually agree on to be real, or does money in some magical way actually represent something that sold or are buying?
Trust.
We believe in the printed value of the fiat currency to represent our trust in the commerce of the community to perpetuate and reimburse the value in other aspects of the commerce system - economy.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-09-2013, 02:56 PM
(28-09-2013 02:22 AM)I and I Wrote:  If money is merely a social construct then why do societies act as if money is more than simply a social construct, and act as if money is worth something?
It is a very sophisticated social construct that represents our trust in our communities to progress and provide better lives for the people.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
28-09-2013, 03:03 PM
(28-09-2013 11:55 AM)BnW Wrote:  This has been explained a few times already. I can only conclud that you are either being deliberately obtuse, or you're a total moron. If you have an actual point, then make it. If you don't, well, I'm back to "total moron".
You are the moron, but don't worry you share it with the majority of the bell curve.

It shouldn't be that difficult for an economist, as well versed, as you portray yourself to be, to realize that the problem with the world is that the United States Constitution was generated a hundred years prior to the establishment of the social sciences, and that we now have the better information to properly define the powers and limits of executive government and missions of bureaucratic government that they could not do in 1787.

Why haven't you figured that out yet, moron?

28-09-2013, 08:21 PM
So is the amount of money determined by individuals in transactions or is it something that is determined by "the market"? Keep in mind nobody here has defined "the market".