Is Nuclear Power Safe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Is Nuclear Power Safe
Nuclear power is probably as safe as any other type of power plant...as long as you don't build it on or near a fault line, or a coastline that might be swept by a tsunami, or some such other positioning error. The problem is that humans never seem to learn.

Of course the other problem with nuclear fission reactors is the radioactive waste which, in the case of U-239, has a halflife of 24,000 years or, to put it another way... roughly 5 times as long as all of recorded history.

Let's just not pretend that this is not an issue.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Well, if you stop and think about it, *NO* reliable supply of energy is 100% perfectly safe. We're going to have to wait until we're in some weird, awesome, sci-fi future before we have wind or solar power that produce as much energy as fossil fuels and whatnot.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
08-02-2014, 10:43 PM
(08-02-2014 10:40 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Well, if you stop and think about it, *NO* reliable supply of energy is 100% perfectly safe. We're going to have to wait until we're in some weird, awesome, sci-fi future before we have wind or solar power that produce as much energy as fossil fuels and whatnot.
"We must use the full efficiency of matter! Eee equals em see squared!"

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
08-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Fuck the fish , tidal power is there to tap. 《Moonpower》
I don't see what's holding up the gov on that.

Must be a factor I'm not considering.

[Image: tidal1.gif]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
08-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Ooh tidal energy. I haven't looked into that before, seems like it could be good.

The thing that we really need, whether it's nuclear or anything else, is a change in subsidies. Big Oil gets massive amounts of money and it could be put to use elsewhere to help us improve alternative energy sources more quickly. oh, I wish!
09-02-2014, 11:38 PM
You have to consider the trade offs. There isn't anything that is 100% safe. Fossil fuels, have killed or harmed gawds know how many people from asthma attacks, mine collapses, rail road cars blowing up, wars related to fossil fuel resources, and on and on. The question isn't whether or not nuclear can be 100% safe, but whether the risks are acceptable given the alternatives.

IMHO, when you consider all factors, modern designs that consume nuclear waste, and those that are passively safe (if there's a design that does both, that'd be truly awesome), are probably less harmful than fossil fuels, even when you factor in the occasional 3 sigma events.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
09-02-2014, 11:40 PM
(08-02-2014 10:27 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Nuclear power is probably as safe as any other type of power plant...as long as you don't build it on or near a fault line, or a coastline that might be swept by a tsunami, or some such other positioning error. The problem is that humans never seem to learn.

Of course the other problem with nuclear fission reactors is the radioactive waste which, in the case of U-239, has a halflife of 24,000 years or, to put it another way... roughly 5 times as long as all of recorded history.

Let's just not pretend that this is not an issue.

There are modern designs that consume long long lived waste, rather than producing it, which kills 2 birds with one radioactive stone.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
10-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Rainbow RE: Is Nuclear Power Safe
Thoughts:

A coal plant has to run several decades continuously to build up unsafe pollution, in increments.
A nuclear plant can run just as long, with no pollution, but a single incident can generate the same amount of unsafe pollution in a single instant.

So do you want 1 punch a day to the gut for 10 days, or do you want a kick to the head after waiting 10 days?

A coal plants pollution doesn't last as long as a nuclear plants. Radioactive waste lives on, and on, and on. We have the technology to clean pollution from coal as it's being generated - it just has to be implemented. The best we can hope for nuclear waste is to bury it until future generations have to deal with it. Sound familiar?

Question for members:

I'll wager that coal plants have been in greater number, and running much longer than nuclear plants. If nuclear plants were scaled up to that number, for that length of time, how would pollution and safety compare?
10-02-2014, 12:08 AM
(09-02-2014 11:40 PM)toadaly Wrote:  There are modern designs that consume long long lived waste, rather than producing it, which kills 2 birds with one radioactive stone.

Why are we not funding this?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-02-2014, 12:13 AM
(10-02-2014 12:08 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 11:40 PM)toadaly Wrote:  There are modern designs that consume long long lived waste, rather than producing it, which kills 2 birds with one radioactive stone.

Why are we not funding this?

Uneducated public is scared of radiation, government gets voted in on "no nuclear" policies.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post