Is Nuclear Power Safe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 01:21 AM
RE: Is Nuclear Power Safe
I grew up in California in the 1960s when classroom teachers described death from over exposure to radioactive material in detail to students. I remember being terrified.

Now, however, I see no alternative to nuclear power. And when you think about it, we have not begun to experience the damage that fossil fuel usage is having and will continue to have on our planet.

I am reminded of the Chernobyl accident and now, so many years later, healthy life, not human, flourishes at and near the Chernobyl site. I don't know; I am not a physicist, just someone who wants to live more peaceably with the world we share.

Yep! There will be accidents.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2014, 03:27 PM
(11-02-2014 12:25 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  The last nuclear power plant built in the US was in 1996. How modern do we suppose that is?

That is splendid circular reasoning; nuclear power is dangerous, so we mustn't build any more nuclear power plants, so all our power plants will be outdated, so they will always be dangerous, so we mustn't...
[+] 2 users Like Elcarch's post
17-02-2014, 12:22 PM
(07-02-2014 11:27 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Umm... FISSION OR FUSION?
I'M SLOWLY DYING OVER HERE!
Smile

Fission reactors. Fusion reactors are still in the embryonic stages and don't yet produce enough power to be practical as an energy source.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
17-02-2014, 12:24 PM
(07-02-2014 11:29 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  have we harnessed fusion power? I thought fusion only happened in the sun...?

I might be wrong.

Yes we have, but the only practical use has been in weapons. Hydrogen bombs aka thermonuclear weapons employ the fusion of tritium in their secondary devices.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

17-02-2014, 12:27 PM
(11-02-2014 01:21 AM)Dee Wrote:  I grew up in California in the 1960s when classroom teachers described death from over exposure to radioactive material in detail to students. I remember being terrified.

Now, however, I see no alternative to nuclear power. And when you think about it, we have not begun to experience the damage that fossil fuel usage is having and will continue to have on our planet.

I am reminded of the Chernobyl accident and now, so many years later, healthy life, not human, flourishes at and near the Chernobyl site. I don't know; I am not a physicist, just someone who wants to live more peaceably with the world we share.

Yep! There will be accidents.

Check out Thunderf00t's latest videos. He does a pretty good job of debunking fears about nuclear energy and fear mongering over the Fukushima nuclear accident.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-02-2014, 01:36 PM
I keep telling myself they are safe because my home sits about 10 miles between two of them. Although, the little mini earthquake we had the other night did make me wonder about them.

But really it seems the way Duke Energy is intent on harming this community is thru coal ash ponds on the banks of our water supplies.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller