Is Obama imploding?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2012, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 03:25 PM by TrainWreck.)
Is Obama imploding?
I'm a little concerned about some statements the President has made in recent weeks. It appears that he is making statements or speeches that are far from what I would expect, and seem to imply that his puppet master and speech writers are purposely driving his campaign into the ground, and I am wondering if these recent silly debacles by the military and Secret Service are demonstrations of further mutiny.

A couple of weeks ago he made what has to be an outrages example of incompetence by claiming that the Supreme Court is an institution subject to his demands of defining social justice. And then I heard his radio address Saturday, and what caught my attention was the rhetoric "cut off at the knees." The phrase and its contextual subject matter seems to be very edgy, in that it leads one to consider the proud soldiers who have been maimed in such a manner and want to be apart of contributing to society rather than dependent on it - and some of whom are probably returning to school in a maimed condition and competing with those who are not maimed.

And then when I read the transcript, I noticed the use of, "got," in his opening - is that correct English??? Being the speaker that he is he has been taught not to make such a blunder, and I am sure I have noticed that in the past he didn't make such a mistake; but I would have to do better research to confirm that.

President Obama's radio address for April 21, 2012
Quote: Hi. This week, I got the chance to sit down with some impressive students at Lorain County Community College in Ohio . . .

. . . We cannot just cut our way to prosperity. Making it harder for our young people to afford higher education and earn their degrees is nothing more than cutting our own future off at the knees. Congress needs to keep interest rates on student loans from doubling, and they need to do it now. This is a question of values. We cannot let America become a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of people struggle to get by. We’ve got to build an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same set of rules. That’s how the middle class gets stronger. That’s an economy that’s built to last. And I’m not only going to take that case to college campuses next week – I’m going to take it to every part of the country this year. Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2012, 03:26 PM
RE: Is Obama imploding?
If you want to nitpick his language:
'Puppetmaster' and 'Speechwriter' do not have spaces in them (for starters).

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
22-04-2012, 03:46 PM
We would need to see the speeches that you are talking about before we could comment on it.
22-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Why is he being expected to do so much, with so little, so quickly. From day one he was heralded in as some sort of magical creature that would cure all ills and save us from the excesses of decades, including back to back wars. The man is only a man. It doesn't matter his color, even though almost everyone I know celebrated it, for being the first black man to set in the oval office.

He is only a man and can do only so much. His advisers have tried their formulas and they didn't magically recreate reality in a manor suitable to a country used to immediate gratification. He's trying his best to manuver this country through graveyard of the discarded remnants of it's past. He has only been given a short time to do everything a self centered, self righteous, spoiled electorate could demand and in trying to do so much in this short time, he accomplished very little and nothing to the satisfaction of all.

I am no economist
[+] 2 users Like justmetoo's post
22-04-2012, 05:32 PM
(22-04-2012 03:00 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I'm a little concerned about some statements the President has made in recent weeks. It appears that he is making statements or speeches that are far from what I would expect, and seem to imply that his puppet master and speech writers are purposely driving his campaign into the ground, and I am wondering if these recent silly debacles by the military and Secret Service are demonstrations of further mutiny.

A couple of weeks ago he made what has to be an outrages example of incompetence by claiming that the Supreme Court is an institution subject to his demands of defining social justice. And then I heard his radio address Saturday, and what caught my attention was the rhetoric "cut off at the knees." The phrase and its contextual subject matter seems to be very edgy, in that it leads one to consider the proud soldiers who have been maimed in such a manner and want to be apart of contributing to society rather than dependent on it - and some of whom are probably returning to school in a maimed condition and competing with those who are not maimed.

And then when I read the transcript, I noticed the use of, "got," in his opening - is that correct English??? Being the speaker that he is he has been taught not to make such a blunder, and I am sure I have noticed that in the past he didn't make such a mistake; but I would have to do better research to confirm that.

Quote: Hi. This week, I got the chance to sit down with some impressive students at Lorain County Community College in Ohio . . .

. . . We cannot just cut our way to prosperity. Making it harder for our young people to afford higher education and earn their degrees is nothing more than cutting our own future off at the knees. Congress needs to keep interest rates on student loans from doubling, and they need to do it now. This is a question of values. We cannot let America become a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of people struggle to get by. We’ve got to build an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same set of rules. That’s how the middle class gets stronger. That’s an economy that’s built to last. And I’m not only going to take that case to college campuses next week – I’m going to take it to every part of the country this year. Thanks, and have a great weekend.
"Got" is correct. "Gotten" is a recent Americanism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2012, 10:54 AM
(22-04-2012 03:26 PM)Caveman Wrote:  If you want to nitpick his language:
'Puppetmaster' and 'Speechwriter' do not have spaces in them (for starters).
Really??? My high-end spell checker does not confirm that. So, let's move on - do you have anything, else?

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
23-04-2012, 11:02 AM
(22-04-2012 05:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 03:00 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I'm a little concerned about some statements the President has made in recent weeks. It appears that he is making statements or speeches that are far from what I would expect, and seem to imply that his puppet master and speech writers are purposely driving his campaign into the ground, and I am wondering if these recent silly debacles by the military and Secret Service are demonstrations of further mutiny.

"Got" is correct. "Gotten" is a recent Americanism.
'I got' is not correct. 'I've got' would be okay. Like I've got a secret. In this case the president should have used the word 'had'. There aren't really any rules on 'gotten'. If it sounds right, use it. I've gotten sick from Jager before is the same thing as I got sick from Jager before.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-04-2012, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 11:29 AM by TrainWreck.)
(22-04-2012 04:43 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  Why is he being expected to do so much, with so little, so quickly?
Because he championed the rhetoric, "hope and change," as the mission of his Presidency.

I am very confident that Obama was "teed-up" to fail by his elder congressional colleagues who realize that the United States has been in a constitutional crisis for quite some time already. Obama, was a tremendous speaker with a resume of Constitutional Law and community organizing, which are seemingly the exact qualifications necessary for constructing a new constitution, which is why he was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize; but as we know now, he does not have anything. And, that is why Justice Ginsberg declined to recommend the USA constitution as a model for the Egyptians to follow.

The congressmen, that I imply, as being aware of the constitutional crisis we endure are in a dellema of sorts. They are obligated to protect the constitution, and constructing a revised constitution is so incredibly difficult to do it is sure to be met by ceaseless opposition citing a lack of sociological trials in support of a better constituion. Complicated stuff, to say the least.

Anyway, Obama, knows now, that he is the empty suit that we intelligent people have recognized since his early days of claiming that the Cynics said he could not win a primary election. A couple of months ago, on a black talk radio station here in NYC, some proud Obama backer called in to champion Obama's tax campaign by claiming that Obama would be subject to the taxes when he makes those millions of dollars for speaking engagements. ROTFLMAO.

Stupid idiot does not realize those days are over, Clinton gobbled it all up, and Bush does maybe, one a year. If these guys make a speach - you will be made aware of it.

23-04-2012, 11:17 AM
(23-04-2012 11:06 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 04:43 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  Why is he being expected to do so much, with so little, so quickly?
Because he championed the rhetoric, "hope and change," as the mission of his strategy.

I am very confident that Obama was "teed-up" to fail by his elder congressional colleagues who realize that the United States has been in a constitutional crisis for quite some time already. Obama, was a tremendous speaker with a resume of Constitutional Law and community organizing, which are seemingly the exact qualifications necessary for constructing a new constitution, but as we know now, he does not have anything. And, that is why Justice Ginsberg declined to recommend the USA constitution as a model for the Egyptians to follow.

The congressmen that I imply, as being aware of the constitutional crisis we endure, are in a dellema of sorts. They are obligated to protect the constitution, and constructing a revised constitution is so incredibly difficult to do it is sure to be met by unending opposition based on lack of sociological evidence in support of a new constituion. Complicated stuff, to say the least.
A new constitution? What for? Ours is just fine. It's just been mistranslated and violated by so many.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
23-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:It's just been mistranslated and violated by so many.
That is exactly why it needs to be revised, because myopic people believe that they are the only ones capable of understanding it, when the goal is to ensure that everyone understands it equally.