Is Objective Morality Possible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: Is Objective Morality Possible?
I am talking about our basic moral sense, not cultural norms. This is objectively observed.

When moral choices such as the trolley problem are presented, people from all cultures and religions agree to an extraordinary degree.

This type of study has been done multiple times and indicates that we all share a common, evolved moral compass.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 04:17 PM
(08-02-2013 04:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 01:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, it's still not objective because it's not universal.
It is as universal as can be measured through the noise of childhood indoctrination and socialization.

The results of tests of common morality score well beyond any differences in culture, race, or religion.
They may, but we don't all have the exact same opinions on what is morally good or not.

Think of the trolley experiment. Do you push a fat man in front of a trolley to save five people? I say yes, others would disagree.

While I agree this is the closest thing we can get to an objective morality, I don't see it as being completely objective.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
08-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Re: Is Objective Morality Possible?
What if in following the trolly problem to the higher moral degree... You end up killing someone who was on the verge of greatly assisting humanity in the highest valued chosen Moral issue.

It's a short term long term dilemma that humans wouldn't be able to judge easily.

I think it's only possible with an omniscient being.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
08-02-2013, 04:45 PM
(08-02-2013 04:17 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 04:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is as universal as can be measured through the noise of childhood indoctrination and socialization.

The results of tests of common morality score well beyond any differences in culture, race, or religion.
They may, but we don't all have the exact same opinions on what is morally good or not.

Think of the trolley experiment. Do you push a fat man in front of a trolley to save five people? I say yes, others would disagree.

While I agree this is the closest thing we can get to an objective morality, I don't see it as being completely objective.

What is objective is that we have a common evolved moral sense. Once we accept that fact, we can build a rational morality from that base. That would be as close to an objective morality as is likely possible.

What I am denying is the easy statement that no morality is objective. That is provably false.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-02-2013, 04:46 PM
(08-02-2013 04:39 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What if in following the trolly problem to the higher moral degree... You end up killing someone who was on the verge of greatly assisting humanity in the highest valued chosen Moral issue.

It's a short term long term dilemma that humans wouldn't be able to judge easily.

What? That has absolutely nothing to do with what I am talking about.

08-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Re: RE: Is Objective Morality Possible?
(08-02-2013 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 04:39 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What if in following the trolly problem to the higher moral degree... You end up killing someone who was on the verge of greatly assisting humanity in the highest valued chosen Moral issue.

What? That has absolutely nothing to do with what I am talking about.

My post wasn't directed at your point. Just bringing up that aspect as I thought of it toward the op.

For objective morality you need an objective goal, if it's human suffering or life surviving; long term judging of morality is an issue within the trolly problem.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
08-02-2013, 05:26 PM

What if one of the five was on the verge of something? It could also be that the five were all co-workers researching a cure for cancer. We don't know. But the chances of one in the five being on the verge of a breakthrough is higher.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious