Is Politics Really That Bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Is Politics Really That Bad?
I really want to change the world. I want to make the world a better place than it was when I came in to it, and a friend of mine suggested that I get involved in politics. I'd been half-considering it for a while, but from everything I'd heard about it, it wasn't something I wanted to get involved in. I really want to try to establish more music programs in schools and work to improve the healthcare system and other things. I'm alive so I might as well try to make the world better, and I feel like I could do that if I got involved in politics or something related, but from everything I've heard, I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2014, 11:08 PM
RE: Is Politics Really That Bad?
Are you an atheist? Because there are zero atheists in politics. Smile

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Good people don't go into politics. Good people start charities or do what they feel is best for their communities themselves. Politics is about recognition, if you really want to make a difference then start small and grow from there.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
26-01-2014, 11:11 PM
(26-01-2014 11:08 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Are you an atheist? Because there are zero atheists in politics. Smile

I don't think that's true... there's at least a few...

Atir aissom atir imon
26-01-2014, 11:13 PM
I would start by examining the poeple you most respect, who you think have changed the world, and follow in their footsteps. I suspect there will not be many politicians in your list.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
26-01-2014, 11:14 PM
(26-01-2014 11:11 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 11:08 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Are you an atheist? Because there are zero atheists in politics. Smile

I don't think that's true... there's at least a few...

Name one.

Of course I was being facetious. But the OP will have to swallow his atheism or he won't even get on the ballot.

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
26-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Become a billionaire and you'll be able to do a billion times more good then if you went into politics.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
26-01-2014, 11:25 PM
(26-01-2014 11:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 11:11 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I don't think that's true... there's at least a few...

Name one.

Of course I was being facetious. But the OP will have to swallow his atheism or he won't even get on the ballot.

I see your challenge and raise you four: Barney Frank, Kyrsten Sinema, Jesse Ventura, Pete Stark, and Ernie Chambers Tongue

But yes, I do agree that atheism is a hard thing to come by in politics. Being gay is more accepted than atheism (nothing against gays, just using that as an example). Although there's gotta be a start for everything...

Atir aissom atir imon
26-01-2014, 11:29 PM
(26-01-2014 11:25 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 11:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Name one.

I see your challenge and raise you four: Barney Frank, Kyrsten Sinema, Jesse Ventura, Pete Stark, and Ernie Chambers Tongue

But yes, I do agree that atheism is a hard thing to come by in politics. Being gay is more accepted than atheism (nothing against gays, just using that as an example). Although there's gotta be a start for everything...

Ah, but they pretty much all came out AFTER their careers, or eventually suffered a loss because they came out and are out of politics now. They certainly didn't campaign as an active atheist/nonbeliever.

----
26-01-2014, 11:30 PM
(26-01-2014 11:29 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 11:25 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I see your challenge and raise you four: Barney Frank, Kyrsten Sinema, Jesse Ventura, Pete Stark, and Ernie Chambers Tongue

Ah, but they pretty much all came out AFTER their careers, or eventually suffered a loss because they came out and are out of politics now. They certainly didn't campaign as an active atheist/nonbeliever.

Very true, but not my fault you weren't specific Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon