Is Politics Really That Bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 04:20 AM
RE: Is Politics Really That Bad?
(26-01-2014 11:06 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  I really want to change the world. I want to make the world a better place than it was when I came in to it, and a friend of mine suggested that I get involved in politics. I'd been half-considering it for a while, but from everything I'd heard about it, it wasn't something I wanted to get involved in. I really want to try to establish more music programs in schools and work to improve the healthcare system and other things. I'm alive so I might as well try to make the world better, and I feel like I could do that if I got involved in politics or something related, but from everything I've heard, I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

Politics at this moment in time is about removing/downsizing public services. I think over the next 5+ years things are only going to get worse before they get better.

More than ever in a generation will charities be needed to look after people. I think you need to focus first on yourself, your family and friends and then your community.

Don't let your dream die.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
27-01-2014, 07:18 AM
(27-01-2014 01:19 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 11:08 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Are you an atheist? Because there are zero atheists in politics. Smile

Not true

Unless stated otherwise on this forum, I assume people are from the US. While I know you live in Germany, it was clear we were discussing US politics.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2014, 09:10 AM
(26-01-2014 11:32 PM)toadaly Wrote:  If you are an openly atheist libertarian politician, can you overcome the biases by claiming to be gay?

No, that's political suicide.

Atir aissom atir imon
27-01-2014, 09:20 AM
(27-01-2014 07:18 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Unless stated otherwise on this forum, I assume people are from the US. While I know you live in Germany, it was clear we were discussing US politics.
What about Pete Stark, Barney Frank and Ernie Chambers? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-01-2014, 09:23 AM
(27-01-2014 09:20 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 07:18 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Unless stated otherwise on this forum, I assume people are from the US. While I know you live in Germany, it was clear we were discussing US politics.
What about Pete Stark, Barney Frank and Ernie Chambers? Consider

What about them? They're all American politicians

Atir aissom atir imon
27-01-2014, 01:03 PM
(26-01-2014 11:06 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  I really want to change the world. I want to make the world a better place than it was when I came in to it, and a friend of mine suggested that I get involved in politics. I'd been half-considering it for a while, but from everything I'd heard about it, it wasn't something I wanted to get involved in. I really want to try to establish more music programs in schools and work to improve the healthcare system and other things. I'm alive so I might as well try to make the world better, and I feel like I could do that if I got involved in politics or something related, but from everything I've heard, I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

Your goals and aspirations are admirable. Just one question: What is your age? You sound quite yound. Maybe a somphomore in college?

It's no value judgment; I just know a lot of young people who share that view.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
27-01-2014, 01:18 PM
(27-01-2014 09:23 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  What about them? They're all American politicians
Exactly. Will Hopp said that there are no atheists in the United States' politics; I pointed out that there are at least three of them. Sleepy

27-01-2014, 01:22 PM
(27-01-2014 01:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 09:23 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  What about them? They're all American politicians
Exactly. Will Hopp said that there are no atheists in the United States' politics; I pointed out that there are at least three of them. Sleepy

Yes, but we also agreed before that they came out as atheists AFTER their terms.
The argument was more of "show me an active atheist politician" instead of "name a general politician who is atheist"

EDIT:
I already named those and two others previously,if you didn't see.

Atir aissom atir imon
27-01-2014, 01:37 PM
(27-01-2014 01:22 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Yes, but we also agreed before that they came out as atheists AFTER their terms.
The argument was more of "show me an active atheist politician" instead of "name a general politician who is atheist"
Pete Stark came out as an atheist six years prior to his retirement from politics. Consider

(27-01-2014 01:22 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  EDIT:
I already named those and two others previously,if you didn't see.
My bad, I must have missed that. Blush

27-01-2014, 01:51 PM
(27-01-2014 01:37 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 01:22 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Yes, but we also agreed before that they came out as atheists AFTER their terms.
Pete Stark came out as an atheist six years prior to his retirement from politics. Consider

He came out in 2007, ran unopposed in 2008, narrowly won in 2010 and lost in 2012. Out of politics. Career suicide.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user