Is Quantum Mechanics a Science, Philosophy or Religion, or some new age mix of all 3?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
28-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Is Quantum Mechanics a Science, Philosophy or Religion, or some new age mix of all 3?
If Quantum Mechanics is a science then it is a series of predictions in which the tests and calculation revolve around this prediction...which is a different method than the old school science. Old school science is the study of observed things then the calculations come after, but in quantum mechanics the predictions come first before the calculations.

Or is it a new age philosophy in which they question the foundation of human knowledge about things.

Or is it a new age religion similar to the documentaries recently released called What The Bleep Do We Know and The Secret?

Or is it an odd mixture of all 3?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2012, 02:46 AM
RE: Is Quantum Mechanics a S
Much of science comes from predictions and calculations of things we can't see which eventually become observed. It is still science, since a lot of what was postulated through it has led to the discovery of many various things we didn't see or understand before.

A lot of things postulated and odd discoveries came from scientists who had considered it. Keep in mind, though you cannot directly see "a math", mathematics is still math, and understanding the calculations of a problem is still something that can be demonstrated. A lot of quantum theory is tons of math and predictions.

I have no idea where you get it being philosophy or something to do with "the secret"... sort of seems like reaching into a big bag of what ifs and comparing it to things it isn't.

In rebuttal - Is automotive mechanics a new age philosophy or similar to "the secret" or is it really spinning a wrench? Is that all there is to it? New mechanics aren't like the old mechanics. They use newfangled contraptions. So does that make it different? Or simply a different approach?
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
28-09-2012, 03:03 AM
RE: Is Quantum Mechanics a S
(28-09-2012 02:46 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Much of science comes from predictions and calculations of things we can't see which eventually become observed. It is still science, since a lot of what was postulated through it has led to the discovery of many various things we didn't see or understand before.

A lot of things postulated and odd discoveries came from scientists who had considered it. Keep in mind, though you cannot directly see "a math", mathematics is still math, and understanding the calculations of a problem is still something that can be demonstrated. A lot of quantum theory is tons of math and predictions.

I have no idea where you get it being philosophy or something to do with "the secret"... sort of seems like reaching into a big bag of what ifs and comparing it to things it isn't.

In rebuttal - Is automotive mechanics a new age philosophy or similar to "the secret" or is it really spinning a wrench? Is that all there is to it? New mechanics aren't like the old mechanics. They use newfangled contraptions. So does that make it different? Or simply a different approach?

If someone works out an equation that states that horse poo tastes good that doesn't prove that horse poo tastes good. A mathematical equation is not proof of something. Science usually is...observe first then examine and study whereas quantum mechanics is guessing and conjecture first then the mathematical equations to attempt to prove the guessing and conjecture. Nobody has observed or experienced different universes but an equation is supposed to be proof that it exists? If this is science, this is different than the old school science which was...See a turtle...examine the turtle. Quantum mechanics has turned old school scientific method completely upside down...state a claim than work a mathematical equation to prove the claim.

What The Bleep and The Secret use quantum mechanics to promote their bullshit.
28-09-2012, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 07:17 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-09-2012 02:22 AM)I and I Wrote:  If Quantum Mechanics is a science then it is a series of predictions in which the tests and calculation revolve around this prediction...which is a different method than the old school science. Old school science is the study of observed things then the calculations come after, but in quantum mechanics the predictions come first before the calculations.

Or is it a new age philosophy in which they question the foundation of human knowledge about things.

Or is it a new age religion similar to the documentaries recently released called What The Bleep Do We Know and The Secret?

Or is it an odd mixture of all 3?

It is none of the above.
Fallacy of the False Premise(s)
Science has not changed.

The Scientific Method, for Dummies :

Ask a Question, after observing the natural world.
Do Background Research, gather data
Construct a Hypothesis, establish the Null Hypothesis.
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment, based on it's Prediction
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Communicate Your Results

Nothing has changed.

Quantum Mechanics arose as a direct result of unexplained observations, (not "calculations"),
including the world famous, and known to every Physics 101 student, ..the Double Slit Experiment. I think we have another straw-man, by a troll.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_..._mechanics

Relativity, The Uncertainty Principle, complex (nonintuitive), mathematical concepts, (Dirac spinors, and matricies), have indeed challenged the idea that the universe is "intuitive", or what our brains perceive to be "logical". However the predictions of Quantum Mechanics NEVER preceded the observations. That is 100% false.

"Revolve around" is a meaningless phrase. She is not saying if she thinks they precede or follow.

I and I, needs not only courses in Physics, and Logic, but apparently, Linguistics 101.

No educated person would ask such a question, or make make such an assertion.

As Dr. Jerry Coyne, of the University of Chicago says, (in reference to Evolution), but applies here, "It is a fact. That is, it is an assertion for which there is so much evidence, it would be perverse to deny it. It has attained fact-hood. There are multiple lines of evidence to support it, and NO evidence to refute it. You are either perverse, or you are a moron, or you do not understand the nature of evidence, or you are so blinded by your religion, that you reject all evidence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_seeking

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 10 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-09-2012, 03:35 AM
RE: bullshit blah blah blah
Agreed with bucky.

There's plenty of people that use things they don't fully understand to promote their bullshit, it doesn't make the science bullshit. I don't think it means what you think it means.

And holy fucking shit, your title is so long i can't use quick reply. Learn to make normal length titles that don't eff up the replies in threads.

29-09-2012, 05:16 AM
RE: Is Quantum Mechanics a
QM is science. There's been some philosophy and new age woo developed from misinterpretation, and there's been some otherwise level headed scientists that have followed such a path, but that happens.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-09-2012, 01:30 PM
RE:
Quantum Mechanics itself is a scientific theory.

String Theory is a scientific theory.

M Theory is a scientific theory.

The Copenhagen Interpretation (the hypothesis that conscious observation is what collapses the wavefunction) could be argued to be New Age crap, but does have some supporters

The Many Worlds Hypothesis (the hypothesis that the universe splits each time a quantum wavefunction collapses) is not a rigorous scientific theory and is supported by no one but Freshman physics majors and science fiction writers.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
29-09-2012, 01:42 PM
RE:
(29-09-2012 01:30 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  String Theory is a scientific theory.

Quote:Unfortunately, we have as of yet found no evidence of any supersymmetric particles, and it is looking increasingly likely that SUSY, a beautiful idea, may be just that.

And no SUSY, no stringy. Tongue

(Sorry, I hate that crap. Big Grin)

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2012, 01:51 PM
RE:
(29-09-2012 01:30 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Quantum Mechanics itself is a scientific theory.

String Theory is a scientific theory.

The Copenhagen Interpretation (the hypothesis that conscious observation is what collapses the wavefunction) could be argued to be New Age crap, but does have some supporters

The Many Worlds Hypothesis (the hypothesis that the universe splits each time a quantum wavefunction collapses) is not a rigorous scientific theory and is supported by no one but Freshman physics majors and science fiction writers.

QM is supported by mountains of observed data.
String Theory was in favor, went out, and come back into favor, and no way at present to verify, with present energy available.
M theory is a part of String Theory
Many Worlds, (Quantum Decoherence) has enough interest to have a conference about it at Cambridge, in 2007.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-09-2012, 01:51 PM
(29-09-2012 01:42 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(29-09-2012 01:30 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  String Theory is a scientific theory.

Quote:Unfortunately, we have as of yet found no evidence of any supersymmetric particles, and it is looking increasingly likely that SUSY, a beautiful idea, may be just that.

And no SUSY, no stringy. Tongue

(Sorry, I hate that crap. Big Grin)

Is there a G string theory?
If not, there should be. Consider

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post