Is Quantum Mechanics a Science, Philosophy or Religion, or some new age mix of all 3?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
17-11-2013, 10:09 PM
RE: Is Quantum Mechanics a Science, Philosophy or Religion, or some new age mix of all 3?
(17-11-2013 10:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I&I rule 21...never, ever answer a question.

Especially one a year old!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2013, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 10:16 PM by Adenosis.)
RE: Is Quantum Mechanics a Science, Philosophy or Religion, or some new age mix of all 3?
(29-09-2012 01:30 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Quantum Mechanics itself is a scientific theory.

String Theory is a scientific theory.

M Theory is a scientific theory.

String and M theory are theories only in the day to day definition of theory, aka a hypothesis. Not scientific theories.

Quantum mechanics is most definitely a scientific theory, it makes predictions that match observations. String theory and M theory don't make any predictions that have been verified by observation.

This might have been brought up already, I didn't read the whole thread. So my bad if it did.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

18-11-2013, 03:27 AM
I don't like to even use the word theory. I think it causes too much confusion. I prefer to say that something is a model, then talk about whether that model is well supported by the evidence or not well supported. "Theory" whether meaning "unsure" or "comprehensive and relatively certain" seems misleading either way you shake it.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
18-11-2013, 03:35 AM
(17-11-2013 10:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I&I rule 21...never, ever answer a question.

Rule #22: Insult the questioner.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
18-11-2013, 11:21 AM
(17-06-2013 07:03 PM)Merca Wrote:  Wonderful thread, it helped me to clarify several concepts and perceptions. Thanks everyone.
My problem with QM goes back to the double-slit and comes from the fact that I perceive the "interfering with itself" as a kind of giving-up. Why couldn't the interference be caused by something we don't know instead of that weird interpretation of the particle going both ways? Isn't the measure mechanism itself producing the collapse? (by affecting the particle).
That probably doesn't matter as the "colliding with itself" interpretation, even not verified by observation, does answer the rest of the questions and shows several other observable effects.
What if all that maths and probabilities is keeping us from finding the real reason of the interference?
I'm not even a science student, just a uneducated fan. For that reason I don't expect answers, even I'd love and thank them.
Thanks again.

Perhaps it would help if you knew that what is added up in the end is a probability amplitude, which is then squared to give a total probability for the particle in question to be a particular point on the screen. It turns out that the probability amplitude has a phase part, and you have to add up contributions from all possible ways for the electron to end up on the screen to get the final probability amplitude. In this sense the particle 'interferes' with itself but this is because its wave function, which gives us the probability amplitude, samples all possible paths to get to that point on the screen.

Actually what I recommend here, if you are interested in this, is look up Feynman's QED. The lectures themselves are on Youtube, and they are also in a book form. Feynman champions a particular mathematical approach to QM called the path integral approach, which isn't always used, but it is equivalent to your Schrodinger equation approach and may be more physically intuitive. Also, it's Feynman, therefore it will rock. In his version, there is a single particle, and it literally samples every point in spacetime before landing on that point in the screen. He goes through with a highly intuitive picture about how the final probability amplitude is calculated.
18-11-2013, 11:25 AM
(09-10-2012 03:42 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 05:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  A photon exhibits wave-particle duality.

A wave of what? A wave is not an object, it's an affect of something. A wave of.......

Photons as waves are easily enough understood using Maxwell's equations. The waving is orthogonal electric and magnetic fields that self propagate through space. It just turns out that as well as you can describe electromagnetic radiation this way, it also happens to only come in clumps described by Planck's constant- hence the particle aspect.