Is Reality.... A Lie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Is Reality.... A Lie?
Just screwing around with the thread title tee hee.

But seriously, atheists are as close to scientists as people can get without actually going out and acquiring a degree in something and from what I make up in my head most real no foolin scientists are atheists.

So how do we know when something is real and not just madeup inside our own minds. We ask this of theists all the time. "Hey dumb theist, you say you had an experience with god, but how do you know you're not just insane?" Hell I asked this very question of our own KC. He if I remember correctly answered the way I would, with something like I dunno, guess I'll find out eventually.

And that is fine for theists because they welcome faith, they take faith on faith that it's worth something. Atheist lack that ability for all I can figure. Because when the question is reversed and I ask myself how do I know that everything I see or touch or feel is real... I can't think of a single way that I know for sure.

When in movies someone is dreaming or having an experience they don't believe to be real they usually attempt to give themselves physical pain as if that is somehow only attached to reality. That pain is the only thing that would assure them they are indeed experiencing something real.
This never worked for me in my head. Maybe it's because I've had dreams where there was pain involved, or maybe it's because I've experimented with psychotropic drugs... I don't know but it never worked for me as a way of knowing something was real.

So is there a definitive way that science or philosophy could prove existence? I don't personally think so, and I remember reading an article about how some scientists think that the world actually looks totally different to other species and that just because we perceive something a certain way doesn't make it so. That it is our brains way of interpreting the data around us.

But then did I actually read this or did I fabricate the world in which it exists?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2012, 08:04 PM
RE: Is Reality.... A Lie?
Reality stays the same no matter what we believe.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheArcticSage's post
15-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Prove it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
15-03-2012, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 08:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-03-2012 07:34 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Because when the question is reversed and I ask myself how do I know that everything I see or touch or feel is real... I can't think of a single way that I know for sure.

Descartes tried and failed.

(15-03-2012 08:04 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Reality stays the same no matter what we believe.

Prove it.

(15-03-2012 08:13 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Prove it.

2 minutes apart. Don't know if that's fucking hilarious or fucking scary. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Reality is nothing but the most persistent of illusions

If I shall die, remember that as something to quote under pictures of mine in any encyclopaedia Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
15-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Well, if we are using the definition via dictionary definition of the world as it exists around us then we know nothing more of it than how we are able to assimilate information. Touch, feel, hear, smell, see. What is reality to a deaf person? What is reality to a blind person? The way you would perceive the world would be entirely different. If you pretend to be blind for a moment, imagine you're incapable of fully understanding how objects would be colored but you can touch them and assimilate a mental image on your mind of the texture and size and feel of the object you can sort of get an idea of what it is.

We use tools to see the universe as we know it in ways we cannot normally see. For instance IR imaging, radio waves and things that can translate it into terms we can better understand.

So how do we best prove something is? I guess that's best left up to our senses and our way of assimilating that data. When we see something we're not seeing the object itself directly, we're seeing the media of light which is photons which our eyes assimilate into an image. So when you see something, you aren't actually seeing that object. You're seeing light which is actually photons.

When you hear something, you don't actually understand anything other than vibrations picked up by your ears on different lengths. When you feel something you're getting similar, either vibrations from tiny hair follicles or you're getting nerve feedback based off of things and things sent to your brain. But even your brain can play tricks and tell you things are different than what they really are.

Our senses are really quite interesting if you think about it. The way you actually interact with the world will vary slightly from person to person. Someone's smell may be different than yours. Someone may have slightly more sensitive hearing than you (for instance, I always complain about low notes I can hear, thumps, things like that which keep me awake but my wife doesn't pick up on them or notice them. She can hear high pitched noises that I can't though). Someone's vision may vary from yours. So we all assimilate the data slightly different.

Imagine what the reality of things must be like for someone is color blind?

I keep tarantulas and scorpions, it's a hobby of mine. I find it very interesting for instance that scorpions can pick up on very primitive things. For instance, if you keep a red light for them at night time it doesn't disturb them like white light does because their primitive sense of sight picks up on light and dark only. Since that type of light doesn't really register with them, you can watch them at night which is when they are generally active. They rely heavily off of vibrations and white light to determine what's going on. In fact, their picking up of vibrations is SO SENSITIVE that a cricket, pinhead crickets for instance which are so tiny... they can tell where they are and lash out and catch them in a snap using only the primitive senses of white light and vibration. If you ever look very closely at a scorpion you'll notice they have tiny hairs all over their body for vibration. Truly interesting creatures. Imagine yourself having only the ability to pick up on brightness and darkness and vibration.... what would the world be to you?
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
15-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Chill, dude. Why make things so complicated, man?
We're here. Deal with it.

And if you don't like it, there's always:
[Image: asian-girl-bang-bang-gif.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
15-03-2012, 09:35 PM
(15-03-2012 09:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Chill, dude. Why make things so complicated, man?

Not sure if you're referring to me or not. I wasn't upset or anything if you were. Just thinking outloud mostly.
15-03-2012, 09:37 PM
(15-03-2012 09:35 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 09:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Chill, dude. Why make things so complicated, man?

Not sure if you're referring to me or not. I wasn't upset or anything if you were. Just thinking outloud mostly.

No Log, I meant to the OP. Sorry to harsh your mellow, man.

It helps me to watch this miracle of life.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Lol! I love this forum.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post