Is Reality.... A Lie?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2012, 09:41 PM
RE: Is Reality.... A Lie?
(15-03-2012 08:04 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Reality stays the same no matter what we believe.

Pop some 'cid and say that. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-03-2012, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 09:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-03-2012 09:16 PM)Logisch Wrote:  So how do we best prove something is? I guess that's best left up to our senses and our way of assimilating that data.

That's nothing like a proof. Wink

(15-03-2012 09:41 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 08:04 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Reality stays the same no matter what we believe.

Young'uns got not no fucking clue.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
15-03-2012, 09:43 PM
(15-03-2012 09:41 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Doc HoC always has the cure for what ails ya!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-03-2012, 09:50 PM
(15-03-2012 09:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 09:16 PM)Logisch Wrote:  So how do we best prove something is? I guess that's best left up to our senses and our way of assimilating that data.

Oh sorry. In that case, there was once this scorpion named george. He was walking along one day and ran into a cave. In this cave was a spirit arthropod, very similar looking to a lobster. He spoke to george and said "Take these golden crickets, for written on them is the story of boob (boob is what they call God by the way)." so george took the story of boob back to all his arthrophod fellows and they started worshipping boob. And that is how scorpions came to be. Craziest thing is when they asked where the golden crickets were, george said that the spirit arthropod had to hide them somewhere safe and you could never see them. Or something like that.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
15-03-2012, 09:53 PM
(15-03-2012 09:50 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 09:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Oh sorry. In that case, there was once this scorpion named george. He was walking along one day and ran into a cave. In this cave was a spirit arthropod, very similar looking to a lobster. He spoke to george and said "Take these golden crickets, for written on them is the story of boob (boob is what they call God by the way)." so george took the story of boob back to all his arthrophod fellows and they started worshipping boob. And that is how scorpions came to be. Craziest thing is when they asked where the golden crickets were, george said that the spirit arthropod had to hide them somewhere safe and you could never see them. Or something like that.

Okay, I like that as a pretty decent parable. Smile ... but it ain't got nothing to do with a logical proof.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Reality is often questioned by philosophers.
How do you know that you are not in the Matrix?

The short answer is that if you cannot detect that your senses are deceiving you then you have no basis for questioning the possibility of deceit.

Fallacies in beliefs:
There’s no proof that P; therefore I am entitled to believe that P.
There is no proof that P is false; therefore it is not irrational to believe that P is true.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
15-03-2012, 10:02 PM
(15-03-2012 10:00 PM)Thomas Wrote:  therefore it is not irrational to believe that P is true.

Especially if you have to take one!Big Grin

What? Too soon?Confused

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-03-2012, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 10:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-03-2012 10:00 PM)Thomas Wrote:  The short answer is that if you cannot detect that your senses are deceiving you then you have no basis for questioning the possibility of deceit.

Granted. But I have yet to find a sound basis for logically concluding that I even am. Let alone you. ... Logic is a tool, not a God.

20-03-2012, 09:10 PM
If reality is a lie, then you can no longer dictate what is real, and therefor cannot declare that reality is a lie.
20-03-2012, 11:35 PM
I've always asked this since learning about our five sense's in grade school. I always compared it to mental illness. If others around me were experiencing it and reflecting that in their experience then it was true. But then the matrix came out, plus I realized my friends and I 'felt' ghosts when we'd tell ghost stories, so our senses are subjective. At first I was freaked out. I asked my science teacher how to validate reality. He explained how ultimately we can't know for certain. Eventually I accepted that it doesn't matter because it is beyond control or grasping (at this point) so I grew apathetic. Smile
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post