http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Ca6jSOB...e=youtu.be

Tell me what you think
Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2012, 06:23 AM
RE: Is Religion Good for the World?
Hey, Polymath.

That was a refreshingly well made video. There's so much crap out there. Good to see someone put some effort into it.

I was really enjoying it until Sam Harris showed up. Then I projectile vomited all over my desk.

It did get a little over the top at points with the music. I think you were building a strong argument juxtaposing those images and didn't really need to manipulate us with a crescendo.

I think a failing of the video is that you begin with this dialectic where religion is a force for both good and evil, but then all of your examples were of evil. It showed a pretty heavy bias.

I closed my eyes during that execution scene. I despise it when people put execution scenes in their videos. It's snuff. It has no place anywhere outside of a court room. Not to mention the fact that watching people get murdered can cause serious psychological problems.

You also didn't include any context for the acts. That they happened is easy to report. Why they happened gives us insight.

As you were going through the various sciences and scientists, I was thinking that I needed to make a comment about the conspicuous absence of Oppenheimer. Then you immediately cut to a massive explosion. I think that comparing best to worst is not constructive.

Why does a choice have to be made?

The video started really well. You asked a really important question. But then, I have to be honest, it just morphed into a propaganda piece.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
10-08-2012, 07:34 AM
(10-08-2012 06:23 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Polymath.

That was a refreshingly well made video. There's so much crap out there. Good to see someone put some effort into it.

I was really enjoying it until Sam Harris showed up. Then I projectile vomited all over my desk.

It did get a little over the top at points with the music. I think you were building a strong argument juxtaposing those images and didn't really need to manipulate us with a crescendo.

I think a failing of the video is that you begin with this dialectic where religion is a force for both good and evil, but then all of your examples were of evil. It showed a pretty heavy bias.

I closed my eyes during that execution scene. I despise it when people put execution scenes in their videos. It's snuff. It has no place anywhere outside of a court room. Not to mention the fact that watching people get murdered can cause serious psychological problems.

You also didn't include any context for the acts. That they happened is easy to report. Why they happened gives us insight.

As you were going through the various sciences and scientists, I was thinking that I needed to make a comment about the conspicuous absence of Oppenheimer. Then you immediately cut to a massive explosion. I think that comparing best to worst is not constructive.

Why does a choice have to be made?

The video started really well. You asked a really important question. But then, I have to be honest, it just morphed into a propaganda piece.

Matt

And your problem with Sam Harris is ... ?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Very well done, sir.

A couple of minor quibbles:
The volume of the Hitch clip was a little low and the text bits disappeared a little too quickly (I'm a slow reader).

I would agree with Ghost that it was propaganda but I do not have a problem with that.

I have had so many conversations with my Malaysian friends and oft hear "but what harm has religion ever done" in complete innocence. Many have never heard of the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition etc. and only a vague idea of the Holocaust.

I ask them their opinion on matters closer to home like Alexander Aan and they simply haven't heard about it.

Consciousness-raising (even with Sam Harris) is no bad thing but if you were attempting a balanced piece, I would agree with Ghost's view.

But I don't think that was your intent.

And I liked your choice of music.

Keep it up.

10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
WHy does everyone hate Sam Harris?

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
10-08-2012, 02:09 PM
(10-08-2012 02:01 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  WHy does everyone hate Sam Harris?
Who says that everyone hates Sam Harris? Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Hey, Chas.

Quote:Hello, Betty. What's the problem? I haven't got a problem. I've got fucking problems. Plural.
-Tim Roth in Four Rooms

Matt
10-08-2012, 03:12 PM
(10-08-2012 02:20 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

Quote:Hello, Betty. What's the problem? I haven't got a problem. I've got fucking problems. Plural.
-Tim Roth in Four Rooms

Matt

And those would be ... ?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't saying "religion is bad for the world" be a generalization?
Curious for the response.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
10-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Polymath, here is an hour debate showing a similar question directed specifically at Catholicism. Starring Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry vs Bishop and an Angry old woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5OMNPmoVAw

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.