Is Religion Good for the World?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2012, 06:37 PM
RE: Is Religion Good for the World?
(10-08-2012 05:42 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  Polymath, here is an hour debate showing a similar question directed specifically at Catholicism. Starring Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry vs Bishop and an Angry old woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5OMNPmoVAw

A truly remarkable debate ... no, not really a debate... way too one-sided to be called that.

There are also many shorter versions of that debate; mainly edited down to just the Hitch or Fry bits. Fry's "then, what were for?" said for impact but also with genuine exasperation, really invokes something visceral.

That angry, old woman (I LOL'd) ... well I know something about her that if I told you, I would be breaking the Official Secret's Act and thereby be committing treason!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Is delusion good for the world? No.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
(10-08-2012 06:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 05:42 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  Polymath, here is an hour debate showing a similar question directed specifically at Catholicism. Starring Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry vs Bishop and an Angry old woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5OMNPmoVAw

A truly remarkable debate ... no, not really a debate... way too one-sided to be called that.

There are also many shorter versions of that debate; mainly edited down to just the Hitch or Fry bits. Fry's "then, what were for?" said for impact but also with genuine exasperation, really invokes something visceral.

That angry, old woman (I LOL'd) ... well I know something about her that if I told you, I would be breaking the Official Secret's Act and thereby be committing treason!

Indeed. And, about the OSA... oh really??? Mwah ha ha. Can we get a hint?

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
(10-08-2012 07:07 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 06:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  A truly remarkable debate ... no, not really a debate... way too one-sided to be called that.

Indeed. And, about the OSA... oh really??? Mwah ha ha. Can we get a hint?

Urm, all I can say is that I was doing some consulting work at the Cabinet Office (around 2002) and had access to Incident reports. Can't say more or they will put me in the Tower!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Hey, Chas.

They would be thread hijacky.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
11-08-2012, 04:03 AM
(10-08-2012 04:48 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Wouldn't saying "religion is bad for the world" be a generalization?
Curious for the response.
Do you know a religion that is based on compelling evidence? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
11-08-2012, 04:54 AM
(10-08-2012 08:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Urm, all I can say is that I was doing some consulting work at the Cabinet Office (around 2002) and had access to Incident reports. Can't say more or they will put me in the Tower!

I think we already know that Ann Widicombe is a virgin. If it's something less obvious, please PM me. I can keep a secret.

Did you see Louis Theroux - Ann Widecombe?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2012, 04:58 AM
To answer the question that the video asks...

...the only way in which religion is good for the world, is in the instances where people think that without a god, rape and murder are perfectly acceptable and that atheism involves no morality.

For those people, for the sake of their neighbours, I hope they keep their faith.

For everyone else... fuck no.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
11-08-2012, 06:22 AM
(11-08-2012 04:54 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 08:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Urm, all I can say is that I was doing some consulting work at the Cabinet Office (around 2002) and had access to Incident reports. Can't say more or they will put me in the Tower!

I think we already know that Ann Widicombe is a virgin. If it's something less obvious, please PM me. I can keep a secret.

Did you see Louis Theroux - Ann Widecombe?

I remember seeing that at the time but just rewatched. Thanks,
She seems strangely less batty now that I'm less aware of UK politics.

Peculiar "You may also like" suggestions in the left side panel... Sports Illustrated models in their skimpy swimsuits. I can't think of anything I would associate with AW less than that!

11-08-2012, 01:24 PM
(11-08-2012 04:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 04:48 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Wouldn't saying "religion is bad for the world" be a generalization?
Curious for the response.
Do you know a religion that is based on compelling evidence? Consider

Yes.

Anyways, let me ask again:

Wouldn't saying "religion is bad for the world" be a generalization?

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde