Is Religion Good for the World?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 01:26 PM
RE: Is Religion Good for the World?
(11-08-2012 01:24 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 04:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Do you know a religion that is based on compelling evidence? Consider
Yes.
Feel free to share it with us. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 01:30 PM
(11-08-2012 01:26 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:24 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Yes.
Feel free to share it with us. Drinking Beverage

Wouldn't saying "religion is bad for the world" be a generalization?

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
(11-08-2012 01:24 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 04:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Do you know a religion that is based on compelling evidence? Consider

Yes.

Anyways, let me ask again:

Not a generalization simply because religion makes people think false and unneccessary thoughts.

The acting upon these false thinking is bad in my eyes. So even, if the people that are in the religion to good, the FALSE idea it plants in your head is misleading and a lie. All false ideas are evil to me in a sense.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
11-08-2012, 01:39 PM
(11-08-2012 01:30 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:26 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Feel free to share it with us. Drinking Beverage

My answer is depends on whether or not there is a religion that is based on compelling evidence. I can't answer your question unless you provide me with the supposedly existing religion that is based on the previously mentioned type of evidence.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM
(11-08-2012 01:34 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:24 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Yes.

Anyways, let me ask again:

Not a generalization simply because religion makes people think false and unnecessary thoughts.

The acting upon these false thinking is bad in my eyes. So even, if the people that are in the religion to good, the FALSE idea it plants in your head is misleading and a lie. All false ideas are evil to me in a sense.

I understand that you believe every single religion to be false. If one of them happened to be correct, would that make that religion good for us?
It's possible that even if Christianity were true, it would still be bad for us.
Just like if Atheism is true, then what if it were better, overall, for some humans to pretend in a deity for guidance.

I do believe that acting upon false thinking is bad. But it depends on what is false. So far, Atheists believe they have proven every religion wrong, so of course Atheists will believe all of religion is bad overall.

As someone who believes in God, I believe that living for God is a good thing.
If living for God involved me killing innocent children, then I would not believe it was good for me (This is where the Atheist comes in with narrative OT God of Wrath Jazz).

So, it looks like what you're saying is that the statement "religion is not good for the world" is not a generalization because you believe it is all false and that your view about god is the only correct one.
It doesn't seem like that takes away from the statement being a generalization.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I liked what the guy at 1:31 said most of all. And yes - the sound was bad when Hitch was speaking - that was annoying.

Interesting. I'll sub. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-08-2012, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 02:47 PM by fstratzero.)
(11-08-2012 01:49 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:34 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Not a generalization simply because religion makes people think false and unnecessary thoughts.

I understand that you believe every single religion to be false. If one of them happened to be correct, would that make that religion good for us?
It's possible that even if Christianity were true, it would still be bad for us.
Just like if Atheism is true, then what if it were better, overall, for some humans to pretend in a deity for guidance.

I do believe that acting upon false thinking is bad. But it depends on what is false. So far, Atheists believe they have proven every religion wrong, so of course Atheists will believe all of religion is bad overall.

As someone who believes in God, I believe that living for God is a good thing.
If living for God involved me killing innocent children, then I would not believe it was good for me (This is where the Atheist comes in with narrative OT God of Wrath Jazz).

So, it looks like what you're saying is that the statement "religion is not good for the world" is not a generalization because you believe it is all false and that your view about god is the only correct one.
It doesn't seem like that takes away from the statement being a generalization.

Sure it's a great thing!

prosperity gospel preachers - getting rich off of faith

faith healing - people not taking their meds, or refusing help from medical doctors cause god will save them

voting for something cause it's christian - with out actually finding out what the person their voting for plans to do

justification for the destruction of tribes - by saving them all, and converting them all to christ, also justification for manifest destiny, destruction of the indigenous peoples of south amercia, and africa etc...

[Image: 800px-Woundedknee1891.jpg]
Manifest Destiny, it claimed that America had a destiny, manifest, i.e., self-evident, from God to occupy the North American continent south of Canada (it also claimed the right to the Oregon territory including the Canadian portion). “Manifest Destiny” was also clearly a racial doctrine of white supremacy that granted no native American or nonwhite claims to any permanent possession of the lands on the North American continent and justified white American expropriation of Indian lands.

love as hate - preventing gay marriage, right to choose abortion, fight against other faiths (ie muslims), stem cell research being subdued, etc

using the faith as a christian club - a form of manipulation used to get away with things they'd other wise get in major trouble for, ie catholic church molesters.

coming to god to reduce guilt - the baptism of Jeffery Dahmer secured his place in heaven despite his atrocities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer

damning of harmless things - banning of pokemon, harry potter, dungeon and dragons, and other thing they perceive as evil, leading to a form of child abuse

god warriors - people who get so insane with religion they see them selves as warriors from god , who commit murders, ie abortion doctor murders, 9/11, guy faux, suicide bombers etc.

fight against education - teaching lies by changing the definitions and scientific discoveries to suit their bible, misleading masses of people, prevention of critical thinking skills etc

justification for slavery, racism, and happy fun groups ie KKK, West Boro Baptist, Army of God, Aryan Nations, Phineas Priesthood, The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord etc

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
(11-08-2012 01:24 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Wouldn't saying "religion is bad for the world" be a generalization?

Possibly. But I don't believe that was a statement made, rather a question posed.

The video suggests one side of the "religion" argument as "good" and the other as "bad" and then asks the viewer to decide between the two. The video gives a few positive(moderate) ideas provided by the effects of religion, as well as many negative ideas provided by the effects of religion. And also provides many more positive alternative ideas as possible replacements for religion as a socio-philosophic choice.

The person who made the video does inject his/her own biased opinion in the matter by providing gathered evidence displayed in both sides of the argument. The video is certainly slanted. But then, it's their video and can do what they want.

There were a few people in the video who said that "religion is good for the world". If you didn't see them, perhaps your view is no more or less biased than the person who made the video.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
(10-08-2012 08:49 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Urm, all I can say is that I was doing some consulting work at the Cabinet Office (around 2002) and had access to Incident reports. Can't say more or they will put me in the Tower!

Well i'll just keep a level of jealousy about DLJ. Big Grin I have a restricted job as well, so i understand.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
11-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I see it as resource distribution question. Even if(and this is a big if) you could somehow make the argument that the net result of putting time and resources into religion is good, you in no possible way could make the argument that it does as much good as if the same time, energy, and resources had gone into scientific advancement.

Scientific advancement has done more to improve the living quality of day to day life for your average human on this planet by astronomically more than all religions combined. This isn't even remotely debatable.

So is religion good for the world? My answer is no, because it is a waste of resources that could have been spent MUCH better elsewhere for humanity.
[+] 3 users Like Superluminal's post