Is Religion Good for the World?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
RE: Is Religion Good for the World?
(10-08-2012 09:12 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

They would be thread hijacky.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Dude, you started it with your barfing on Sam Harris.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
(11-08-2012 08:18 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  I see it as resource distribution question. Even if(and this is a big if) you could somehow make the argument that the net result of putting time and resources into religion is good, you in no possible way could make the argument that it does as much good as if the same time, energy, and resources had gone into scientific advancement.

Scientific advancement has done more to improve the living quality of day to day life for your average human on this planet by astronomically more than all religions combined. This isn't even remotely debatable.

So is religion good for the world? My answer is no, because it is a waste of resources that could have been spent MUCH better elsewhere for humanity.

Not just a waste, not just a diversion, but active blocking of progress.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
(11-08-2012 08:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 08:18 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  I see it as resource distribution question. Even if(and this is a big if) you could somehow make the argument that the net result of putting time and resources into religion is good, you in no possible way could make the argument that it does as much good as if the same time, energy, and resources had gone into scientific advancement.

Scientific advancement has done more to improve the living quality of day to day life for your average human on this planet by astronomically more than all religions combined. This isn't even remotely debatable.

So is religion good for the world? My answer is no, because it is a waste of resources that could have been spent MUCH better elsewhere for humanity.

Not just a waste, not just a diversion, but active blocking of progress.

Well yes, I agree with you, but my point was even religion cast in the best light by someone who was trying to defend it, ends up failing to produce.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
11-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Poly:
Very cool. I think you have some talent. Keep growing it.
I'm not a film critic, but I enjoyed the dynamic flow of the images.
You told the story well with few words. I like that kind of stuff.
As far as being bias, hell yeah it's bias and why not.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
11-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Do you think I overdid it with the music? I think I'm starting to regret it....
11-08-2012, 10:37 PM
(11-08-2012 10:16 PM)ThePolymath Wrote:  Do you think I overdid it with the music? I think I'm starting to regret it....

I didn't really think about until I read Matt's comment and then I thought... maybe.

It's no biggie though. Don't regret... learn from experience.

I have been listening to your symphonies too. I am envious of your creative skills.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
12-08-2012, 06:23 AM
(11-08-2012 01:30 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:26 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Feel free to share it with us. Drinking Beverage

Wouldn't saying "religion is bad for the world" be a generalization?

Vosur is right. Name a religion that is founded on compelling evidence.

Additionally, we haven't proven religion wrong. Science has. That is why it is a delusion when people believe it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
12-08-2012, 12:14 PM
(12-08-2012 06:23 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:30 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Wouldn't saying "religion is bad for the world" be a generalization?

Vosur is right. Name a religion that is founded on compelling evidence.

Additionally, we haven't proven religion wrong. Science has. That is why it is a delusion when people believe it.

Science has proven that God does not exist?
Show me this interesting exhaustive evidence! Shocking

Why do people continue to insist that we can prove that something without empirical qualities does not exist by empirical means?

Come on guys Dodgy

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
12-08-2012, 12:18 PM
(12-08-2012 12:14 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 06:23 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Vosur is right. Name a religion that is founded on compelling evidence.

Science has proven that God does not exist?

Why do people continue to insist that we can prove that something without empirical qualities does not exist by empirical means?

Come on guys Dodgy
Really? Such a big strawman? Drinking Beverage

"Additionally, we haven't proven religion wrong. Science has."

Furthermore, I'm still waiting for you to answer my question. You claim that there is a religion that is based on compelling evidence, we're all waiting for you to name it.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
12-08-2012, 12:29 PM
(12-08-2012 12:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 12:14 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Science has proven that God does not exist?

Come on guys Dodgy
Really? Such a big strawman? Drinking Beverage

"Additionally, we haven't proven religion wrong. Science has."

Furthermore, I'm still waiting for you to answer my question. You claim that there is a religion that is based on compelling evidence, we're all waiting for you to name it.

I know you guys think it's cool to insist me to do something, and then if I don't right away, you call that avoiding, and then you cry victory. Whatever your method of getting euphoria, have fun with that Thumbsup

I'm going to answer loaded questions in whatever manner I choose to answer them.
If I don't feel like answering a question that deserves it's own Thread on a Thread about something else, then I'm not going to. You can wave the flag of victory all you want, I'll just enjoy some of that coffee you're on Drinking Beverage
In the meantime, that question is not a sniper-one-sentence-answer question.
You know that - so you really don't care what my answer is. You're just flaunting a point around without wanting a real answer.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde