Is Richard Carrier Your Expert? Can You Explain?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 07:05 AM
RE: Is Richard Carrier Your Expert? Can You Explain?
(09-10-2014 06:46 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I don't believe that there is a consensus.
^fixed that for you.

Why do you expect anybody to take you seriously when you repeatedly strawman their positions? That's not what he said, not what he meant, and it isn't the first time you've twisted his words.

Quote:Sorry to hear that. Apparently, we have nothing to talk about..

Well, we agree on something. You appear to have your mind made up that "the consensus of historians" is the final word and any consideration of opposing views is to be ridiculed and/or dismissed. Why are you here? You are obviously uninterested in any discussion where anybody questions anything you already believe.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
09-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Carrier is not MY expert - he's just someone with whom I share a view. To me it's rather a redundant question as to whether Christ existed - but then I'm an atheist. To the Christian theist it matters much more because it has to...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
09-10-2014, 07:06 AM
(09-10-2014 06:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm afraid to tell you what I believe to be Carrier's best argument... what if you can defeat it?

^fixed that for you..

don't be skeered. I'm not that smart... plus, he's bound to be right about somethings... isn't he?
09-10-2014, 07:10 AM
(09-10-2014 07:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:46 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  ^fixed that for you.

Why do you expect anybody to take you seriously when you repeatedly strawman their positions? That's not what he said, not what he meant, and it isn't the first time you've twisted his words.

No... what I'm doing is showing you my perception of what he is saying. If I'm wrong, he can make another attempt to explain himself.
Quote:
Quote:Sorry to hear that. Apparently, we have nothing to talk about..

Well, we agree on something. You appear to have your mind made up that "the consensus of historians" is the final word and any consideration of opposing views is to be ridiculed and/or dismissed. Why are you here? You are obviously uninterested in any discussion where anybody questions anything you already believe.
Yes, I think the experts in the field deserve our respect.... I don't "think" there is as consensus.. there IS a consensus. I can't help that y'all won't listen to reason.

and I wonder why it is that people listen to Carrier when he goes against the body of knowledge on the subject of ancient history.
09-10-2014, 07:12 AM
(09-10-2014 06:46 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I don't believe that there is a consensus.
^fixed that for you.
Sorry to hear that. Apparently, we have nothing to talk about..

I challenged you to contact the ancient history (or classics) departments of secular colleges or universities that you trust.. that way you can check it out for yourself.

Ask them whether or not they agree that Jesus existed... ask them about some of Carrier's claims. Stop babbling about what you KNOW is true, and take the time to actually check.

have you done that? report back here when have.

I'm actually surprised you are arguing this point with me Bucky. You seem like an intelligent guy.

You did it again, you dishonest little prick. Stop making up quotes.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 07:13 AM
See post #9 from this thread.
His list was plagiarized.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-10-2014, 07:13 AM
(09-10-2014 07:05 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  i'm afraid to call a college or university..I'm afraid you might be right.

^fixed that for you.

Stop doing that, you dishonest little prick.

09-10-2014, 07:14 AM
(09-10-2014 07:06 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm afraid to tell you what I believe to be Carrier's best argument... what if you can defeat it?

^fixed that for you..

don't be skeered. I'm not that smart... plus, he's bound to be right about somethings... isn't he?

Fuck off, you lying troll.

09-10-2014, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 07:18 AM by ClydeLee.)
(09-10-2014 07:10 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Why do you expect anybody to take you seriously when you repeatedly strawman their positions? That's not what he said, not what he meant, and it isn't the first time you've twisted his words.

No... what I'm doing is showing you my perception of what he is saying. If I'm wrong, he can make another attempt to explain himself.

Do you honestly think people wil believe you on that? This makes you seem despicable as you did the same thing yesterday to a post of Chas. If that's your claim, it makes you seem unrespectable intellectually if that's what you think they are saying.

But i'm giving you the intellectual benefit of the doubt, and thinking you're not worth the respect socially in any means of proper discussion.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-10-2014, 07:17 AM
(09-10-2014 07:13 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  See post #9 from this thread.
His list was plagiarized.
the list is from Wikipedia, DUMBASS
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus