Is Richard Carrier Your Expert? Can You Explain?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 07:19 AM
RE: Is Richard Carrier Your Expert? Can You Explain?
(09-10-2014 07:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm too upset to think clearly

^is that what you meant to say?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 07:21 AM
(09-10-2014 07:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:06 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  ^fixed that for you..

don't be skeered. I'm not that smart... plus, he's bound to be right about somethings... isn't he?

Fuck off, you lying troll.
you really have no idea, do you?

I can't help that it really upsets you that there is a consensus of the experts in the field of ancient history regarding the historicity of Jesus.

you really need to learn how to deal with reality.
09-10-2014, 07:22 AM
(09-10-2014 07:17 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:13 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  See post #9 from this thread.
His list was plagiarized.
the list is from Wikipedia, DUMBASS
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus

Which you never credited.
You presented it as if it were your own on your web site.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-10-2014, 07:23 AM
(09-10-2014 07:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:10 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  No... what I'm doing is showing you my perception of what he is saying. If I'm wrong, he can make another attempt to explain himself.

Do you honestly think people wil believe you on that? This makes you seem despicable as you did the same thing yesterday to a post of Chas. If that's your claim, it makes you seem unrespectable intellectually if that's what you think they are saying.

But i'm giving you the intellectual benefit of the doubt, and thinking you're not worth the respect socially in any means of proper discussion.

sorry to hear that...

people need to be a little more clear when they communicate...
09-10-2014, 07:24 AM
(09-10-2014 07:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:17 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  the list is from Wikipedia, DUMBASS
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus

Which you never credited.

Look DUMBASS the list is from Wikipedia... get it?

now do you agree with me? or are you going to stick with your ridiculous claim that there is no consensus?
09-10-2014, 07:28 AM
(09-10-2014 07:05 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  ^fixed that for you.

What you have done here speaks for itself.
You are totally incompetent to even begin to discuss the issues.
It's very clear to anyone looking at all this evasion and attempted deflection.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-10-2014, 07:30 AM
(09-10-2014 07:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm starting to believe that you might be right about those experts. and that scares me.. I attack when I'm scared.

09-10-2014, 07:34 AM
(09-10-2014 07:24 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Which you never credited.

Look DUMBASS the list is from Wikipedia... get it?

now do you agree with me? or are you going to stick with your ridiculous claim that there is no consensus?

I found where you copy-pasted it from, *as if* you had read the works in question, and done the work yourself. You didn't.

I never claimed there was (or was not) a consensus. YOU claim there is one among secular historians and classicists and then presented mostly religious support for your claim, AND NO POLL of secular scholars. You failed.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-10-2014, 07:36 AM
(09-10-2014 07:30 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 07:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm starting to believe that you might be right about those experts. and that scares me.. I attack when I'm scared.

No.
Are you like 11 years old ?

But thanks for making a complete and utter fool of yourself by all this "putting words in others mouths".

Sucks to be you today, doesn't it ?

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Quote:No... what I'm doing is showing you my perception of what he is saying. If I'm wrong, he can make another attempt to explain himself.

Then you have a serious reading comprehension problem or are simply unable to process anything that doesn't match your preconceptions.

Quote:Yes, I think the experts in the field deserve our respect.... I don't "think" there is as consensus.. there IS a consensus.

I haven't seen anybody argue those points. The consensus of the experts must be the starting point for any discussion. And it has been. The only problem I see is that you refuse to move past that.

Quote:I can't help that y'all won't listen to reason.

Exactly how I feel.

Quote:and I wonder why it is that people listen to Carrier when he goes against the body of knowledge on the subject of ancient history.

I'll try again.... Because he is also an expert in these areas and he is presenting a new interpretation of the available evidence that calls into question much of the standard interpretation. The question of historicity has largely been taken as axiomatic by many, including experts, because of the history of the church and their beliefs. Carrier is re-interpreting existing evidence and claims without that bias and, probably, a bias in favor of mythicism. That seems to me like it will result in the evidence and claims being reviewed and that's never a bad thing. That's how science works.

I haven't heard anybody saying that Carrier must be right and every other expert is wrong. Even Carrier doesn't say that. All anybody has said is that some of Carrier's ideas appear to have merit and deserve review. I personally find a lot of his argument convincing but I am definitely NOT an expert so I'm waiting for more responses from those who are. I'm open to whatever conclusion is supported by the evidence.

You've dismissed Carrier based on early musings and that's your prerogative. I'm hoping that the experts are not so close-minded now that he has formalized his hypothesis and submitted it for review. For anybody interested in the question I would think it'd be exciting to have something new to talk about.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post