Is Sam Harris a scientist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Is Sam Harris a scientist?
I'm wondering if Sam Harris is a real scientist. I heard he has a degree in neuro-science (what ever that means).. I wonder, if that is the case, why he is into debating theists. Is that what neuro-scientists nowerdays engage in?

I mean, he's a public-talker of some sort, but what does that have to do with him being a neuro-scientist?

Can anybody explain why and what for Sam Harris is into debating theists? And what kind of expertise/degree/knowledge does he have in order to do so?

Anybody?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 07:44 PM
RE: Is Sam Harris a scientist?
(09-03-2017 07:19 PM)Billanja Wrote:  I'm wondering if Sam Harris is a real scientist. I heard he has a degree in neuro-science (what ever that means).. I wonder, if that is the case, why he is into debating theists. Is that what neuro-scientists nowerdays engage in?

I mean, he's a public-talker of some sort, but what does that have to do with him being a neuro-scientist?

Can anybody explain why and what for Sam Harris is into debating theists? And what kind of expertise/degree/knowledge does he have in order to do so?

Anybody?

Neuroscience deals with the nervous system including the brain. Harris has a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience with is basically a mix between neurology and psychology. Yes he is a scientist.

He got his PhD because of his interest in belief and religion.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 8 users Like JDog554's post
09-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Kent Hovind has a "PH.D" too. Harris is far more articulate.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
09-03-2017, 07:49 PM
(09-03-2017 07:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Kent Hovind has a "PH.D" too. Harris is far more articulate.

Kent Hovind has a PhD in peckerhead.

BoT, Yes Sam Harris is a scientist, in the true sense of the word.
[+] 6 users Like Fireball's post
09-03-2017, 07:52 PM
(09-03-2017 07:44 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 07:19 PM)Billanja Wrote:  I'm wondering if Sam Harris is a real scientist. I heard he has a degree in neuro-science (what ever that means).. I wonder, if that is the case, why he is into debating theists. Is that what neuro-scientists nowerdays engage in?

Anybody?

Neuroscience deals with the nervous system including the brain. Harris has a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience with is basically a mix between neurology and psychology. Yes he is a scientist.

What ever that means.
09-03-2017, 07:53 PM
(09-03-2017 07:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Kent Hovind has a "PH.D" too. Harris is far more articulate.

In what exactely?
09-03-2017, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 08:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
He is . A rather prolific one at that. His latest scientific contribution is hilariously titled "Neural correlates of maintaining one’s political beliefs in the face of counterevidence". "Here come look at this MRI, do you see that black spot there? Yes that one. That's where your stupid is." Big Grin

Like the doggie indicated, it looks like he dropped some X in '86 and experienced God's pure universal love. (Which is like what you're supposed to feel when you drop MDMA.) Apparently he was so enamored with the experience that he went hare hare krishna krishna zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance wonky trying to recreate the experience without the use of MDMA. Why he didn't just drop some more X whenever he wanted to feel that way again is a mystery. When whistling Dixie inside his own head while gazing at his navel with his feet behind his head didn't work, instead of just dropping some more X like any normal sane person would do, he decided a PhD in cognitive neuroscience ought to do the trick. He turned out to be rather good at it. At this point I think he just does at as a hobby because makes a lot more money as a celebrity asshole ridiculing theists. I don't think he's looking to recreate the X experience any longer because he knows then he wouldn't be able to be an asshole anymore. He's not a stupid man.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-03-2017, 07:55 PM
(09-03-2017 07:49 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

Kent Hovind has a PhD in peckerhead.

BoT, Yes Sam Harris is a scientist, in the true sense of the word.

And I'm an artist. A bullsh*t artist. By nature.
09-03-2017, 07:57 PM
(09-03-2017 07:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He is . A rather prolific one at that. His latest scientific contribution is hilariously titled "Neural correlates of maintaining one’s political beliefs in the face of counterevidence". "Here come look at this MRI, do you see that black spot there? Yes that one. That's where your stupid is." Big Grin

I'mma naturally born asshole. What else ya wanna know?
09-03-2017, 08:00 PM
(09-03-2017 07:52 PM)Billanja Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 07:44 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Neuroscience deals with the nervous system including the brain. Harris has a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience with is basically a mix between neurology and psychology. Yes he is a scientist.

What ever that means.

It's pretty straightforward.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post