Is Sam Harris a scientist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 08:12 PM
RE: Is Sam Harris a scientist?
(09-03-2017 07:52 PM)Billanja Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 07:44 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  He got his PhD because of his interest in belief and religion.

What ever that means.

No really, the puppy dog is right. Well technically first it was MDMA, and then it was religion and philosophy. I've explained it all in my edited post above.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-03-2017, 08:16 PM
(09-03-2017 07:55 PM)Billanja Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 07:49 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Kent Hovind has a PhD in peckerhead.

BoT, Yes Sam Harris is a scientist, in the true sense of the word.

And I'm an artist. A bullsh*t artist. By nature.

Hmmm...may be getting a whiff of sock...
[+] 7 users Like Fireball's post
09-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Quote:In what exactely?

Compared to that douchebag Hovind.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
09-03-2017, 09:49 PM
What qualifies him to talk about religion ?

He's intelligent, knowledgeable, a critical thinker, a skeptic and has an education on how our brains function.

He's well read on any number of topics and he's concerned about how religious delusional thinking can cause a great deal of harm to our civilization when you think about the variety and deadly forms of technology that we have available in this day & age.

He speaks out because not many people do, especially not world leaders.

He speaks out because he cares about the fate of our world and the world that our children & grandchildren will inherit.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
09-03-2017, 09:59 PM
(09-03-2017 07:53 PM)Billanja Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 07:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Kent Hovind has a "PH.D" too. Harris is far more articulate.

In what exactely?

Articulate mean's he speaks well.

Kent Hovind got his degree from an unaccredited Midwestern Baptist College in 1972.

[Image: 250px-PatriotU_Crop.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
09-03-2017, 10:13 PM
(09-03-2017 07:57 PM)Billanja Wrote:  I'mma naturally born asshole.

Whatever that means.
Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-03-2017, 11:28 PM
(09-03-2017 07:19 PM)Billanja Wrote:  I'm wondering if Sam Harris is a real scientist. I heard he has a degree in neuro-science (what ever that means).. I wonder, if that is the case, why he is into debating theists. Is that what neuro-scientists nowerdays engage in?

I mean, he's a public-talker of some sort, but what does that have to do with him being a neuro-scientist?

Can anybody explain why and what for Sam Harris is into debating theists? And what kind of expertise/degree/knowledge does he have in order to do so?

Anybody?

Are you going to post the same thing about Richard Dawkins?

Maybe you'll adjust your post for Christopher Hitchens and ask how a journalist is qualified to debate on religion?

Facepalm

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
10-03-2017, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 01:49 AM by Mathilda.)
(09-03-2017 07:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He is . A rather prolific one at that.

Those are 'publications' and lectures. Almost all of those are not peer reviewed publications, which are the output of a scientist. He may have gained a PhD in his subject, but he is not a full time active scientist.

Depending on the field, a prolific scientist would have over a hundred publications.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-scientifi...is-publish

Quote:Via Sam Harris, of the 171 listed publications and lectures, three appear to be peer reviewed publications in science journals.

Douglas, P. K., Harris, S., Yuille, A., & Cohen, M. S. (2011, May 15) Performance comparison of machine learning algorithms and number of independent components used in fMRI decoding of belief vs. disbelief. Neuroimage. Volume 56, Issue 2, Pages 544-553.

Harris, S., Kaplan, J.T., Curiel, A., Bookheimer, S.Y., Iacoboni, M., Cohen, M.S. (2009, October 1) The Neural Correlates of Religious and Nonreligious Belief. PLoS ONE 4(10): e7272.

Harris, S., Sheth, S.A., Cohen, M.S. (2008). Functional neuroimaging of belief, disbelief, and uncertainty. Annals of Neurology, 63(2), 141-147.

So I think we can now bump that up to 4.

One thing is for sure, unlike what you're trained to do, he talks about stuff that he has no expertise or knowledge on and uses his scientific credentials to convince people.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
10-03-2017, 02:00 AM
(10-03-2017 01:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 07:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He is . A rather prolific one at that.

Those are 'publications' and lectures.

The first one on there is in the journal Scientific Report, one of the journal Nature's online venues.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-03-2017, 02:04 AM
(09-03-2017 07:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He's not a stupid man.

He certainly has his moments.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post