Is Sam Harris a scientist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 08:48 AM
RE: Is Sam Harris a scientist?
(09-03-2017 07:19 PM)Billanja Wrote:  I'm wondering if Sam Harris is a real scientist.

No, he's not. He's a scientist.

Quote:I heard he has a degree in neuro-science (what ever that means). I wonder, if that is the case, why he is into debating theists. Is that what neuro-scientists nowadays engage in?

If you really don't know what neuro-science is, then I can only suggest that you urgently need some further education! And do you have some particular requirements for people to be able to debate with theists? Surely a person such as Harris—grounded in science, logic, and philosophy—is the ideal person for the job?

Quote:I mean, he's a public-talker of some sort, but what does that have to do with him being a neuro-scientist?

"Of some sort"? You've obviously not seen him in a live debate LOL. Again, is there a reason that scientists shouldn't speak on the public stage? Better than a theologian I would've thought.

Quote:Can anybody explain why and what for Sam Harris is into debating theists? And what kind of expertise/degree/knowledge does he have in order to do so?

Without labouring the point, Harris possesses all the mental and communicative skills necessary in debunking the fantasies, fears, and lies of organised religion. I'm guessing from the tone of your questions that you're somewhat concerned that Harris too often casts the light of logic on your religious beliefs. If he instills even some vague doubts, then his job is done.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
10-03-2017, 10:46 AM
(09-03-2017 07:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Like the doggie indicated, it looks like he dropped some X in '86 and experienced God's pure universal love. (Which is like what you're supposed to feel when you drop MDMA.) Apparently he was so enamored with the experience that he went hare hare krishna krishna zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance wonky trying to recreate the experience without the use of MDMA. Why he didn't just drop some more X whenever he wanted to feel that way again is a mystery. When whistling Dixie inside his own head while gazing at his navel with his feet behind his head didn't work, instead of just dropping some more X like any normal sane person would do, he decided a PhD in cognitive neuroscience ought to do the trick. He turned out to be rather good at it. At this point I think he just does at as a hobby because makes a lot more money as a celebrity asshole ridiculing theists. I don't think he's looking to recreate the X experience any longer because he knows then he wouldn't be able to be an asshole anymore. He's not a stupid man.

That is an insanely funny statement.
10-03-2017, 10:53 AM
(10-03-2017 01:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  So I think we can now bump that up to 4.

One thing is for sure, unlike what you're trained to do, he talks about stuff that he has no expertise or knowledge on and uses his scientific credentials to convince people.

Thanks. I was hoping someone would finally say something like that.
10-03-2017, 10:55 AM
(10-03-2017 02:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  He certainly has his moments.

I like the way he dresses.
10-03-2017, 10:59 AM
(10-03-2017 10:53 AM)Billanja Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 01:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  So I think we can now bump that up to 4.

One thing is for sure, unlike what you're trained to do, he talks about stuff that he has no expertise or knowledge on and uses his scientific credentials to convince people.

Just like a typical theist, you choose to just skim over the people showing you why he is qualified to debate and what makes him a scientist and then latch on to the one view that partially agrees with you.

You are now qualified to read the Bible.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
10-03-2017, 11:08 AM
(10-03-2017 08:48 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Without labouring the point, Harris possesses all the mental and communicative skills necessary in debunking the fantasies, fears, and lies of organised religion. I'm guessing from the tone of your questions that you're somewhat concerned that Harris too often casts the light of logic on your religious beliefs. If he instills even some vague doubts, then his job is done.

I'm not a religious person. So I'm not the slightest bit upset by what he thinks and says about religion personally.

What I'm upset about, regarding Sam Harris opinions, is his take on us-american forgain policy, refering to it as " being well intentioned". He also uses the phrase "collateral demage" when refering to the consequences this policy is/was having. And when confronted about his use of that phrase, he says something like, "that is the correct term for that".

Also his latest ramblings against Noam Chomsky regarding their e-mail exchange is interesting in the light of what his, Sam Harris' , point actually might be. IOW, I consider Sam Harris as intellectually dishonest. Because stupid he is not.
10-03-2017, 11:11 AM
(10-03-2017 10:59 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Just like a typical theist, you choose to just skim over the people showing you why he is qualified to debate and what makes him a scientist and then latch on to the one view that partially agrees with you.

You are now qualified to read the Bible.

Like I said, I'm not a religious person. I'm not interested in the Bible nor am I interested in shaming Sam Harris per se. I just don't like intellectual dishonesty. That's all.
10-03-2017, 11:14 AM
You're still qualified.

And there is nothing intellectually dishonest about what Sam presents.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
10-03-2017, 11:28 AM
(10-03-2017 11:14 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  And there is nothing intellectually dishonest about what Sam presents.

How do you know that?
10-03-2017, 11:46 AM
(10-03-2017 10:53 AM)Billanja Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 01:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  One thing is for sure, unlike what you're trained to do, he talks about stuff that he has no expertise or knowledge on and uses his scientific credentials to convince people.

He's got a degree in Philosophy from Stanford.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post