RE: Is Selective Breeding Immoral?
Whats with all the bots lately? ^

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm with Ceryle on this. Selective breeding is not, in and of itself, immoral. Its applications can be, though.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-08-2011, 10:38 AM

(10-05-2010 04:38 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  ...no, no selective breeding is not immoral.

Selectively breeding an evolutionarily negative trait into a species would be immoral. Selectively breeding a species to instill certain traits in them that would be negative if it were not for an altered environment would not be immoral; and instilling traits that would be positive either way are obviously good; so long as ecological balance is maintained(I'm leaving this as an unfinished thought.)

it is immoral just for humans to breed animals to begin with without getting into the details.remember these were once wild animals with a life of their own and the only reason they continue to exist is because humans are pulling the strings.it is comparable to slavery and prostitution.basically,animal exploitation.
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2011, 10:46 AM

(10-05-2010 04:38 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  ...no, no selective breeding is not immoral.

Selectively breeding an evolutionarily negative trait into a species would be immoral. Selectively breeding a species to instill certain traits in them that would be negative if it were not for an altered environment would not be immoral; and instilling traits that would be positive either way are obviously good; so long as ecological balance is maintained(I'm leaving this as an unfinished thought.)

and when i say wild,i mean the wolf back thousands of years ago.now what are we doing to the wolves? killing them off for fun and to protect DOMESTIC animals!!(which,by the way,unlike the wolf,we have no physical traits to kill or digest and thus the reason why eating meat and other animal products is causing all sorts of health problems,not to mention wreaking havoc on the environment.time to wake up and get real!
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2011, 02:16 PM
[Image: UumaZ.jpg]

(then again, this is the old threads section Tongue )

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
Find all posts by this user