Is Something Wrong W/ My Memory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Is Something Wrong W/ My Memory?
This will probably sound stupid, but does anyone else have a poor memory? When ever I read a book or something I have trouble recalling what I've read. Sometimes I forget what I've read a page ago. Obviously, this is troublesome for me, especially since I want to be a scientist of some sort. But on a broader point, how can I become better educated period if I can't remember the contents of the books I've read? Part of being more scientifically and socially literate is absorbing more and more knowledge. I've talked to my mom about it, but she said that that usually means you're not interested with what you're reading. This gives me a lot of anxiety because my whole life I've wanted to be involved in the sciences, but what if me not being able to remember important scientific facts means I'm not interest in science? Does that make some sort of pseudo-intellectual? If any one has anything helpful they'd like to add, I'm all ears. And if you have the same problem, how do you deal with it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2013, 05:22 AM
RE: Is Something Wrong W/ My Memory?
My memory is bad too but mainly when someone has asked me to do something that I didn't want to do or see no reason for doing.

It's true we remember better when we are really interested but mainly it's about practice.

For me, the best technique is repetition.

Keep going over the same stuff until it sticks or come back to something after a while and it seems fresh but it will sink in more deeply 3rd / 4th time etc.

25-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Mnemonic devices. Learning to use them can be laborious at first, but once you develop the skill, your memory will be vastly improved. I use the castle method, and am very impressed at how well it works IF I stick with it. And my memory is VERY poor.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-03-2013, 08:39 AM
I can remember words but not numbers.

Numbers are in one ear and out the other for me, and always have been. I found out my aunt has the same issue. I have to seriously study to remember my own phone numbers and such. It's nuts. I can work with numbers I have in front of me and am good in business. I just can't remember them later.

Words - quite the opposite, great with strange words, spelling, (not typing lol) foreign languages etc.

I think I am hard wired that way. Memorizing numbers is a pain.

The best way to study to remember something is to read it while saying it out loud while writing it. The 3 way input seems to satisfy your grey cells best.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-03-2013, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 03:12 PM by Elesjei.)
I can read a book a dozen times over, but I'll forget dates, numbers, names, and everything else. However, if I use what I read in a practical way, such as writing a response in a debate thread referencing facts, I will remember them. When doing home experiments with chemistry, I was able to remember the equations perfectly, and only began to forget them when I stopped doing that. Crusader Kings, Victoria II, and Rome Total War has engrained in my mind the location of many thousands of European and middle-eastern cities and regions. A revolt in Volhynia? I press the "Go to" button and it brings me to the spot where the revolt occurred. Or I'm planning an invasion of France, and I decide how to create an impenetrable wall of armies, and where I can send my doomstacks without suffering horrible attrition. By playing those games I learn about geography and history.

I could try studying a subject in any manner, including flashcards and mnemonic devices, but it wouldn't help. But make me use the info in context in an experiment, game, or debate, and I can do really well.

An example for science is designing an imaginary situation where you don't know beforehand what methods you need to use to deal with it. You think of something like "How can I manufacture about X grams of chemical Y?" You have to plan out the whole process in detail, figuring out what the next step is along the way. Eventually when you try to deal with a similar problem, the process just comes to you.

Instead of "what did I read about last night?" it becomes "what did I do last time?" The brain - or mine, at least - has an easier time remembering your actions than it does remembering abstract information. By applying the knowledge in such a manner, you can change how your brain manages the information. Physics equations come to you like the the name of a car part. Solving science-y problems becomes like fixing a car.

That's what works for me, anyway.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
25-03-2013, 03:15 PM
My memory really sucks. If it isn't something I'm particularly passionate about, then I'll forget something within the hour. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
25-03-2013, 05:37 PM
(25-03-2013 02:28 AM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  This will probably sound stupid, but does anyone else have a poor memory? When ever I read a book or something I have trouble recalling what I've read. Sometimes I forget what I've read a page ago. Obviously, this is troublesome for me, especially since I want to be a scientist of some sort.
Have you tried reading a science text to see if you experience the problem? If not, then do so. There's no sense worrying over problems that don't occur.

Memory can be developed. It takes time and it takes effort. As someone else suggested, you can develop strategies for dealing with it. Repetition is a good strategy as it reinforces the neural pathways associated with the subject. You can also exercise your brain in various ways that will help. I subscribe to BrainHQ at Posit Science web site, specifically to sharpen my cognitive processes after experiencing a drop following chemotherapy a few years ago. (It isn't free, sadly.)
26-03-2013, 10:41 AM
(25-03-2013 02:28 AM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  I've talked to my mom about it, but she said that that usually means you're not interested with what you're reading.
Do you have as much trouble remembering things you are interested in? If that is the case then your mother's diagnosis is probably wrong. If you have the same degree of trouble with everything perhaps you should see a doctor to find out whether there is a physical cause for your problem.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Firstly, I want to thank the people who have commented for their kind and helpful replies. I find my poor memory especially disturbing in regards to information that I've study thoroughly. In my college days, when I first accepted the theory of evolution, I study quite a bit about biology. I could name and explain all the kinds of ways speciation occurs (allopatric, sympatric, etc.) but now I find less and less coming to me clearly. I argued the fine points of evolution with creationists all the time. But now, if I was asked to explain, say why the common design-common designer argument is flawed, I'd be hard pressed to make any kind of comprehensive argument. I do often find it hard to remember things I read that I have an interest in. That's why I fret over whether that means I'm not truly interested or not. It seems like I remembered things easier in my college years( a kind of paradox for someone with a poor memory). Probably because I was constantly arguing with creationists and learning more in class. But, nonetheless, it scares me because I can't always be in a situation where I'm constantly introduced to it over and over again. At some level I need to be able to remember things that I read only once.
27-03-2013, 04:29 PM
DeathBerry.... Is that a reference to Bleach?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.