Is Something Wrong W/ My Memory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2013, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 07:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Is Something Wrong W/ My Memory?
(25-03-2013 02:28 AM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  This will probably sound stupid, but does anyone else have a poor memory? ... Obviously, this is troublesome for me, especially since I want to be a scientist of some sort. ...

Won't preclude you from actuarial science or computer science. My brother's a chief executive of actuaries for MetLife Pacific in Tokyo and he's got shit for memory from years of being an acid head. He says the difference between himself and the Japanese actuaries who work under him is that they focus on memorization of formulae while he works from first principles. Girly's got an excellent memory from reciting Bible passage shit from 5-15 yo, but it don't help me none as a computer scientist 'cause I constantly have to deal with new programming languages and environments. But again, I can pick up a new programming language or environment almost instantaneously because I know how to work from first principles. You only need memory enough for the first principles. Having the skills to run with them is what matters.
Not sure this applies to the life sciences or social sciences, though. ... Probably not. ... Probably applies to physics and other hard sciences though. Consider

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't worry over whether or not you can remember something you just read or even that you can't remember minutia from a few years back. Like Girly said, if you can establish the basics of whatever your discipline is, you don't need toe memorization. In fact, rote memorization is only useful if you're interested in creating useful idiots... which is what the public school system is based on and, in my opinion, is why kids are being drugged into comas more and more these days. You were probably raised around computers and video games in an environment where your mind was free to wonder and where you were able to move from one thing to another of your own volition. When you're used to that environment, rote memorization is like torture.

When I was in college learning electronics, the best professor I had told the class he was not going to teach formulas more than one time and that he did not care whether we could remember them or not. He advised us to write them down and to only worry with remembering when we needed them. Needless to say, we learned a lot about what we were there to learn, rather than simply remembering formulas, which in the absence of a circuit to apply them to are nothing but math... and I damn sure didn't go to college to learn math. In fact, I barely ever passed a math class and even flunked out of a couple of them. However, when I need to use math and I have a reason to learn a formula, I learn it with no problems whatever and, I don't forget it unless I don't use it for a long time.

In the end, I would advise that you not worry about the last page you read. Just finish the book. You'll be surprised how much better your memory will be for the things you actually need to remember.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
29-03-2013, 09:05 AM
(27-03-2013 04:13 PM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  In my college days, when I first accepted the theory of evolution, I study quite a bit about biology. I could name and explain all the kinds of ways speciation occurs (allopatric, sympatric, etc.) but now I find less and less coming to me clearly.

If your memory is getting worse it could be due to a medical condition. I suggest you read this article on possible causes of poor memory.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/memory-loss

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I have to take notes to cement things into my memory. For some reason the act of taking pen in hand and putting it to paper works for me. I think it's because I am quite visual. Often I can remember where on a page a certain topic was written so I can flip right back to my notes or in a text.

If I am looking for something I haven't needed in years at home, after a while i will be able to visualize where I last saw it, what shelf it was on, what kind of container it was in, stuff like that.

As for the science you used to know..it's probably still in there and just needs to brought out and dusted off. I bet if you started studying biology again you would be surprised all the things that you remember.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
29-03-2013, 07:47 PM
(29-03-2013 10:17 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have to take notes to cement things into my memory. For some reason the act of taking pen in hand and putting it to paper works for me. I think it's because I am quite visual.

Curiously, it's just the opposite for me. I never took a single note through uni and grad school. In the Navy's Nuclear Power School before uni I realized it was just distracting and I was always trying to play catch up to the lecture, so I dropped it. My strategy was to pay intense attention to the lecture and brazenly interrupt the instructor whenever I needed clarification. Figured if I needed clarification someone else might too. To their credit none of my instructors ever had any issue with my rude behavior. Worked well for me. Maybe I'm more auditory than visual. Different strokes and all that. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
29-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Try this memory/thought experiment. At the end of the day, in a quiet setting, close your eyes and play back your day from the moment you woke up till the moment you shut your eyes.
I find that I can not only recall most of what happened, but I can see it in my mind's eye and even smell and hear it! For instance the red car that I stopped for while driving, the dinner I ate and how it tasted, the words I heard and said...it really is amazing to me that I can remember things I didn't know I had seen or heard. I've even done this to find my fricking sunglasses when I've misplaced them. I think it's pretty amazing what we store in our brains and can't recall on command but can recall in a semi-trance.

I know this won't help much in schoolwork but it's a fun thought exercise.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-04-2013, 11:21 PM
(27-03-2013 04:29 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  DeathBerry.... Is that a reference to Bleach?

It very much is! Smile
03-04-2013, 08:21 AM
(02-04-2013 11:21 PM)THEDEATHBERRY22 Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 04:29 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  DeathBerry.... Is that a reference to Bleach?

It very much is! Smile

Good for you! I like Bleach!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I have difficulty myself. Reading was horribly frustrating in childhood, so I didn't do it. Sounds would wipe my memory, and I couldn't take semester tests as well as my peers could. It used to be like this.

*read* 'click' *forget* *Read* 'click' *forget* The more frustrated I got the harder it was to read the passage, and I didn't even have the ability to understand context without being properly told how it worked. It worked differently with different books and writers. The teachers couldn't tell that I was 'different,' so there's nothing they could have done. I was blocking out the environment anyway to cope with certain peers being around me.

These days it's far easier with sound, but I forget real fast unless it really interests me or has a strong mood attached. I've found it most helpful to listen to audio of the material while reading at the same time. It cuts way back on the repeating, which is a real job when one struggles with fancy context. I confess to liking kiddie books or much older ones better, because they get right to it easier without the fancy culture moosh that slows me down. It's not that the words are hard as the way they go with the other words.

I'm not amused that my recorder is broken, but I'm trying to say it's the most effective (effective is right, right?) method for me to use. Yes. It has worked much faster, and I have trouble keeping the information myself.
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 04:32 PM by Lienda Bella.)
I have grammar and English books, and I still just have a hard time. To learn one way, I'd have to grind it for more than an hour, and still I'd have trouble understanding this other person's pattern, and this other person's. I should be flattered that people expect such a superior performance in my wording, but I cannot provide the fine look for them. I'm thinking that might have something to do with it, for me at least.

Do you have a little bit of that?

Oh yes, it's also helped to picture certain parts in my mind like a little mental video while I hear and read it to. Er.. Like playing a mentally playing my own little slideshow in my mind while looking.