Is Spirituality a delusion as well?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Is Spirituality a delusion as well?
I'm wondering if you think being spiritual is a delusion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2015, 12:58 AM
RE: Is Spirituality a delusion as well?
My mind says yes.

But my heart chakra says no....

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 13 users Like bemore's post
15-12-2015, 01:08 AM
"Being spiritual" is pretty vague. Unfortinately people love their pet definitions of "spirituality" so much, the word pretty much needs defining every time it's used. So to honestly answer your question, you'll first have to give us a better idea of what you're asking.

If you simply mean believing in spirits, then yes, it's delusional.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 11 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-12-2015, 03:21 AM
When you can tell me where a "spirit" resides in a human body, what it's made out of, and can quantify it's dimensions, or it's caloric values in term of energy ---- in simple terms, what the fuck it is ---- then we can say it's not delusional.......

Until then, we'll go with delusion....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-12-2015, 06:02 AM
As well? Well if it's that in comparison to just generic religious belief, I think it's more delusional. Religious belief in the deity that controls all is more following along the common familiar path of what the group believes.

I think the spirituality claims fall far more into peoples delusions or bad understandings of their mind.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-12-2015, 06:33 AM
Depends on the context of the spirituality for me and what it is that you believe. I feel a special connection to nature in a semi spiritual sense. A connection to all living and non living things. But once you start getting into the nature fairies and spirits and ghosts and other mythical woo woo than it starts getting into...well...woo woo land~!

I mean, I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing really. As long as your nature wood nimphs don't go around trying to tell you to hate on gays and that you are some superior race and everyone else besides you deserves less or to be punished like how all other religions do.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
15-12-2015, 06:39 AM
I tried the spirituality thing before rejecting it, but found that I couldn't identify a chakra or an aura or even a third eye any more than I could the redeeming blood of God Jr.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
15-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Spiritual—

1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not material; supernatural;
2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul;
3. Not concerned with material or worldly things;
4. Of or belonging to a religion; sacred.

Each of these properties requires one to be delusional, or at least maintain an improbable suspension of disbelief.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
15-12-2015, 08:57 AM
I do believe some things are sacred but not in a spiritual sense. I love yoga and there is some spirituality involved with that. I personally don't take part in the woo--but I still enjoy learning about other's beliefs and traditions and being respectful of all of that. To me, I view it all as a story--because that is how religions/beliefs were passed down from generation to generation. I do use chakras like bemore mentioned Wink I also use mudras. But I use them as a way to align and focus my mind--to relieve stress, to produce a sense of calm--but not in a spiritual way.

But in answer to your question, yes, I believe spirituality can be delusion as well. All religion pretty much stems from spirituality. Even people who say they are not religious, but spiritual, are still in a sense, religious--they are making up their own religion, but don't realize it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-12-2015, 09:43 AM
I think "spirituality" is generally mistaken for the intersection of what we think and what we feel and used to describe people or objects or rituals that make us feel "whole" if you will, that make us feel a deep satisfaction.

I like what jennybee said about things being sacred. To me "sacred" doesn't have a holy or divine connotation, to me sacred means things that are pure and as close to our personal idea of perfection as we can imagine. Sacred things ought not to be trifled with, they're things that can't be improved upon. A baby's laugh, a really good bourbon, a perfectly-tuned Stratocaster and tube amplifier, 9 innings of well-played baseball on a beautiful Spring day, a good barrel-aged imperial stout, freshly-ground French Press coffee, "The Big Lebowski," Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn," BB King "Live at the Regal," these are my ideas of sacred things - works of Man SO good you could forgive people for mistaking them for the divine. To me personally, experiencing and appreciating these things could be considered "spiritual" in the sense that they can make me feel more human, more connected to others, more appreciative of the glorious happenstance of human life.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post