Is Spirituality a delusion as well?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2015, 10:10 AM
(15-12-2015 06:33 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Depends on the context of the spirituality for me and what it is that you believe. I feel a special connection to nature in a semi spiritual sense. A connection to all living and non living things. But once you start getting into the nature fairies and spirits and ghosts and other mythical woo woo than it starts getting into...well...woo woo land~!

I mean, I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing really. As long as your nature wood nimphs don't go around trying to tell you to hate on gays and that you are some superior race and everyone else besides you deserves less or to be punished like how all other religions do.

I also feel a special connection to nature. Nature is very special to me. When I'm depressed I wished I was in a forest with beautiful trees and lush greenery. Sometimes I just step outside and enjoy the scenery around my house. It lifts me up and makes me happy. But when I go inside my problems return to me.

I forget who pointed it out. But the spirit thing stuck out to me. Do you think that all things living contain a spirit or just energy? I believe that living things have a spirit but now I'm not sure. I researched online if humans have souls. I don't think that humans do but I'm not sure. I know we have an energy. But about the soul part :/

Maybe if I saw inside a human or anything living to see if there was a soul then I would believe. I'm the type of person who needs physical evidence. Not the evidence you can't see.

When I was getting my ECHO done I didn't see a soul where my heart was. I just saw my heart. So I guess we don't have souls? But to each their own.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2015, 10:14 AM
RE: Is Spirituality a delusion as well?
(15-12-2015 12:58 AM)bemore Wrote:  My mind says yes.

But my heart chakra says no....

Bwahahahaha... you made me spew coffee.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
15-12-2015, 10:39 AM
(15-12-2015 12:54 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I'm wondering if you think being spiritual is a delusion.

I think when some people use "spiritual" what they are really describing is a connectedness with their self and their surroundings. Maybe they have no words other than "spiritual" to express that very real feeling.

When I am out in nature, either day or nighttime (but for me especially at night, stargazing), I feel a sense of belonging, sometimes even a smallness, that is more than simply knowing where I am and a happiness to be there. It's a love of home or place of peace that makes one feel safe, secure or even an awe of the beauty surrounding us. That connectedness can be very humbling and uplifting at the same time and can bring on a sense of euphoria that feels somehow magical or supernatural.

It's not a spiritual non-natural event, it's a normal and natural sensory orgasm. That some cannot express that in a way other than calling it a spiritual experience is understandable because humans have given over to mythical thinking so often that it's become the easy path to acceptance of something unknown.

In my opinion we need to give up such laziness of thought or self-examination so that we may better enjoy the moment for what it really is, our instinctual minds are speaking to us, encouraging us to discovery, to seek new roads where more adventure awaits. We are an adventure seeking species. I think we forget that sometimes.

The short answer: yes.

15-12-2015, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2015 11:05 AM by Clockwork.)
Going by that definition of spiritual, I'd lean towards yes, delusion. However, like others here, I have feelings for certain things that many would call spiritual. I don't, for semantic reasons since theists would love to pounce on that.

Because of my mother's family heritage, yeah, nature has this odd allure. Because I live in this era and I was the nerdy kid who wanted to be an astronaut, my love of nature extends to past Earth. The idea of one of my particles having possibly been a star or another world, and in the future yet again makes me happy. No, I lack conscious awareness of that, but I don't care.

I think all humans have common needs and desires. We'll have to one day transcend ego or perish. We're connected but not in a magical, spiritual sense. We share biological ancestry and biologically we're family. We just don't act like it.

So "spiritual" for me carries the religious baggage.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
15-12-2015, 10:49 AM
(15-12-2015 10:10 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 06:33 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Depends on the context of the spirituality for me and what it is that you believe. I feel a special connection to nature in a semi spiritual sense. A connection to all living and non living things. But once you start getting into the nature fairies and spirits and ghosts and other mythical woo woo than it starts getting into...well...woo woo land~!

I mean, I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing really. As long as your nature wood nimphs don't go around trying to tell you to hate on gays and that you are some superior race and everyone else besides you deserves less or to be punished like how all other religions do.

I also feel a special connection to nature. Nature is very special to me. When I'm depressed I wished I was in a forest with beautiful trees and lush greenery. Sometimes I just step outside and enjoy the scenery around my house. It lifts me up and makes me happy. But when I go inside my problems return to me.

I forget who pointed it out. But the spirit thing stuck out to me. Do you think that all things living contain a spirit or just energy? I believe that living things have a spirit but now I'm not sure. I researched online if humans have souls. I don't think that humans do but I'm not sure. I know we have an energy. But about the soul part :/

Maybe if I saw inside a human or anything living to see if there was a soul then I would believe. I'm the type of person who needs physical evidence. Not the evidence you can't see.

When I was getting my ECHO done I didn't see a soul where my heart was. I just saw my heart. So I guess we don't have souls? But to each their own.

Your post reminded me of this.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

Douglas Adams

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am so enthralled with the beauty of the garden, I give little thought to dream up faeries."

Heatheness
HeartHeartHeart

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
15-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Yes, IMO it's delusional to think people or animals or any beings have souls or spirits or that there is some spirit world that somehow transcends physical death.

Mostly I have seen people using "spiritual" as a way to pat themselves on the back for their feels.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
15-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Depends what you mean. If it means that we're all objectively "special", and we have some kind of purpose, then yes, that is probably a delusion.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
15-12-2015, 12:52 PM
There is a space in the brain that allows experiences without physical input, I usually go there after a session in my massage chair, I can go there in nature, others go there with yoga, too.

I don't think it has anything to do with a spirit, it has to do with muting sensory input and listening to the rest of your brain.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-12-2015, 01:05 PM
(15-12-2015 12:54 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I'm wondering if you think being spiritual is a delusion.

In short , it is. Yes

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
15-12-2015, 01:28 PM
(15-12-2015 10:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 10:10 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I also feel a special connection to nature. Nature is very special to me. When I'm depressed I wished I was in a forest with beautiful trees and lush greenery. Sometimes I just step outside and enjoy the scenery around my house. It lifts me up and makes me happy. But when I go inside my problems return to me.

Your post reminded me of this.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

Douglas Adams

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am so enthralled with the beauty of the garden, I give little thought to dream up faeries."

Heatheness
HeartHeartHeart

I like this quote and way of thinking.
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post