Is Spirituality a delusion as well?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 01:10 AM
RE: Is Spirituality a delusion as well?
This is definitely a loaded topic, but one I feel has many perspectives, based on who you ask.

The analytical part of me leans heavily in the direction of what "onlinebiker" said in his response (nonexistent spirit/soul). Though the part of me that enjoys learning about physics, history, sociology, neuroscience and the like, probably leans more in the direction of "feelings of awe" or "childlike whimsy", in reference to what others may label as "spirituality".

Delusion may come off to some as a harsh characterization, but often times I find that if I don't draw a metaphorical line in the sand, it can lead believers to assume that I subscribe to some form of new age spirituality or nature worship (pantheism). When I speak with open minded religious folk, I usually approach the conversation from a basic discussion of metaphysical naturalism.

TL;DR: I enjoy our living interconnectedness, without seeing a need to invoke the term "spiritual" in conversation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
16-12-2015, 03:27 AM
When I used to meditate a lot I had an experience that ive wrote about on here before.

My meditation method was simple cyclical breathing, alongside just letting go of thoughts/my attention to them and on this occasion I was lying down on my back. It feels as if I could spend numerous lifetimes describing what I experienced and I still dont think words will ever do it justice. Basically, for a moment it felt like I had ripped through my own spatial awareness and it was expanding throughout the universe. Paradoxically what felt like a lifetime was just a split second as I opened my eyes and was like "what the fuck was that all about? That shit has never happened before?"

It wasnt a scary experience, however it was what could be termed "spiritual" as it was an intimate experience of my consciousness that was unique and personal to me. For a moment though it felt like I was the universe.

Its never happened since and I hardly meditate anymore, not because of the experience, but because I just dont make time for it like I used to do.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
16-12-2015, 04:16 AM
Is that spiritualism or just some natural loving Romanticism. Sure I feel that way sometimes too, but its merely the lures of the romantic era philosophy and artistic view of the world.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
16-12-2015, 04:53 AM
(16-12-2015 03:27 AM)bemore Wrote:  When I used to meditate a lot I had an experience that ive wrote about on here before.

My meditation method was simple cyclical breathing, alongside just letting go of thoughts/my attention to them and on this occasion I was lying down on my back. It feels as if I could spend numerous lifetimes describing what I experienced and I still dont think words will ever do it justice. Basically, for a moment it felt like I had ripped through my own spatial awareness and it was expanding throughout the universe. Paradoxically what felt like a lifetime was just a split second as I opened my eyes and was like "what the fuck was that all about? That shit has never happened before?"

It wasnt a scary experience, however it was what could be termed "spiritual" as it was an intimate experience of my consciousness that was unique and personal to me. For a moment though it felt like I was the universe.

Its never happened since and I hardly meditate anymore, not because of the experience, but because I just dont make time for it like I used to do.

I know exactly what you are talking about. But I wouldn't call it "spirituality", I would call it "brainiality". Personally I just call it "letting my brain float".

Oddly, while the experience is not inclusive of discernable thought, sometimes I come back from this with solutions to issues or new ideas...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-12-2015, 05:17 AM
(16-12-2015 04:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  I know exactly what you are talking about. But I wouldn't call it "spirituality", I would call it "brainiality". Personally I just call it "letting my brain float".

Oddly, while the experience is not inclusive of discernable thought, sometimes I come back from this with solutions to issues or new ideas...

Yes, I used to come away like that as well. Like you have slept on an idea and woken up with a fresh approach to looking at things.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
16-12-2015, 08:16 AM
(16-12-2015 04:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 03:27 AM)bemore Wrote:  When I used to meditate a lot I had an experience that ive wrote about on here before.

I know exactly what you are talking about. But I wouldn't call it "spirituality", I would call it "brainiality". Personally I just call it "letting my brain float".

That was your Muse speaking to you. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2015, 08:34 AM

I meditate a lot and have had similar experiences. Again--not religious or spiritual or woo--but just kind of floating (not literally for some of the theists in here j/k Tongue) due to immense calm and relaxation.

I do think our minds are used to being full with static--just stress and lots of thoughts constantly going in and out. Most of us live a very fast paced existence and we are constantly bombarded with stimuli. When we do have a chance to just sit and meditate, it is completely foreign to our us. So I think it is probably quite normal to experience what you described in your post.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-12-2015, 08:30 PM
No, they're drunk.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.