Is "String Theory" Falsifiable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2013, 08:54 AM
RE: Is "String Theory" Falsifiable?
(26-10-2013 08:41 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  There are no "confirmed" dimensions beyond the four we are aware of.

There is not one 'string theory', there are several models.

I misspoke; if string theory is true (the one he knows of I suppose), than there are 11 dimensions.

You're still misspeaking. Prolly should give it up. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-10-2013, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2013 09:11 AM by houseofcantor.)
In answer to the OP, no. It ain't that kind of thing. I blame Dirac. Big Grin

Here's the deal: String Theory is a mathematical hypothetical from which the main components of physics (general relativity, quantum mechanics, the standard model) could be naturally derived. It was intended to be the seed that makes the tree that has all of these branches. Only, that hasn't been happening; what has been happening is that each new discovery - or lack thereof - coming out of CERN has sent these theorists scrambling to spin up a new flavor of ST to conform with observation.

It's mostly in decline, and is still kicking mainly for the lack of a serious alternative beyond the standard model.

As to the noise coming out of TTT, see M-theory:

Quote:In theoretical physics, M-theory is an extension of string theory in which 11 dimensions of spacetime are identified as seven higher-dimensions plus the four common dimensions (11D st = 7 hd + 4D). Proponents believe that the 11-dimensional theory unites all five 10 dimensional string theories and supersedes them. Though a full description of the theory is not known, the low-entropy dynamics are known to be supergravity interacting with 2- and 5-dimensional membranes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

For proponents see Lubos Motl (one of my faves ''cause he's such a wildman), for detractors see Peter Woit. These two blogs and their associated links should keep you busy. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-10-2013, 09:05 AM
(26-10-2013 08:41 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I misspoke; if string theory is true (the one he knows of I suppose), than there are 11 dimensions.

You have a (repeated) grammatical error there. Find it, and maybe we can talk. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2013, 09:33 AM
(26-10-2013 09:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 08:41 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I misspoke; if string theory is true (the one he knows of I suppose), than there are 11 dimensions.

You have a (repeated) grammatical error there. Find it, and maybe we can talk. Weeping

I don't think you understand, Bucky.

Pointing out minor grammatical or typographical errors in lieu of response is only okay when he does it.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post