Is Suffering Compatible With God's Existence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2014, 09:32 AM
RE: Is Suffering Compatible With God's Existence?
(10-12-2014 09:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 08:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Accepting as first principle Benevolence as God, contrasts quickly with experience.

I don't think god's benevolence was ever accepted as first principle. And it appears to have been an attribute associated with him later, particularly by the writers of the New Testament, such as John's Gospel, that declares God is Love. I think the earlier writers of scripture would have likely had a hard time declaring such a statement.

In fact the christian concept of a God of Love, is derived from one particular thing, in the giving of his son, the light of the human race, that enlightens men. That the God that enlightens in such a way, brought them to new profound sense of life, can only be a God who loved them.

Thus it must be as first principle as god is always first.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2014, 09:35 AM
(10-12-2014 09:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Thus it must be as first principle as god is always first.

I'm not too sure what that means. If it's just another way of saying we have to assume God exists first, then sure.
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2014, 01:21 PM
(10-12-2014 09:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 08:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Accepting as first principle Benevolence as God, contrasts quickly with experience.

I don't think god's benevolence was ever accepted as first principle. And it appears to have been an attribute associated with him later, particularly by the writers of the New Testament, such as John's Gospel, that declares God is Love. I think the earlier writers of scripture would have likely had a hard time declaring such a statement.

In fact the christian concept of a God of Love, is derived from one particular thing, in the giving of his son, the light of the human race, that enlightens men. That the God that enlightens in such a way, brought them to new profound sense of life, can only be a God who loved them.

This is a weird thing you are doing here... you're talking like the Bible is the only text written and discussed about God. Even philosophers prior talking about an abstract idea of God, proposing the idea of benevolence, would still (while maybe they didn't know it) be talking about YOUR believed God.

So yes, these principals were talked about in relation to God.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-12-2014, 01:47 PM
(10-12-2014 09:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  In fact the christian concept of a God of Love, is derived from one particular thing, in the giving of his son, the light of the human race, that enlightens men. That the God that enlightens in such a way, brought them to new profound sense of life, can only be a God who loved them.

I guess if you're going to tell a story this is more dramatic than tying pieces of paper with your "sins" written on them to a goat and sending it off into the desert. The whole Father sending the Son is nothing but keeping with the Jewish rituals of atonement, a bizarre concept to say the least, and upping the ante.

Making an already bizarre Bronze Age ritual with goats to make you feel better about yourself and morphing it into human torture and sacrifice is a stroke of sadistic genius.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post