Is Suffering Compatible With God's Existence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 12:51 PM
RE: Is Suffering Compatible With God's Existence?
(08-12-2014 12:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Here's one that irrefutable.
In your dreams.

(08-12-2014 12:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  In order for the problem of evil to work, I'd have to agree that benevolence is negated by the existence of meaningless suffering. The argument is refuted just by disagreeing. Since there is no objective standard the individuals making the argument can appeal to, all that is required to refute the argument is to disagree with it.

The incompatibility in Reality with a loving god allowing innocent children to suffer, stands. Your statement is FALSE. A loving god would not allow an innocent child to suffer. THAT is an objective standard. Your are refuted.

(08-12-2014 12:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  All i have to do is to expose the blatantly nudity, the shallowness of the problem when proposed by atheists, who are now left whining, recognizing the best they can do is state that I have transgressed some grammatical boundary.

"blatantly" what ? .... WTF are you even talking about ? You ALWAYS transgress grammatical boundaries, but THAT is only one of your problems. YOU have in no way demonstrated how or why a loving god would let children suffer, and everyone reading this knows that, except you. Stop generalizing about "atheists". You don't even know any.

(08-12-2014 12:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Or in other words, to restate the problem of evil as proposed by atheists: A benevolent God would not allow meaningless suffering to exist, to say otherwise would be grammatically incorrect.

What a monumental FAIL. No one here ever said that. Thanks for proving you have NOTHING. Just as I thought, You are hilarious.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 01:01 PM
(08-12-2014 12:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The argument is refuted just by disagreeing.

I disagree.
Drinking Beverage

Quote:I'd have to agree that benevolence is negated by the existence of meaningless suffering.

Disagreeing with that is not just a grammatical difference, it is a denial of a basic understanding of how words are used. You can hand-wave all you like about needing an objective standard in order to argue the point but all you are doing is making yourself look foolish. Theodicy has been a problem within Christianity from the beginning and your simply defining it out of existence may make you feel good but it doesn't actually address the issue.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
08-12-2014, 01:17 PM
(08-12-2014 12:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The incompatibility in Reality with a loving god allowing innocent children to suffer, stands.

Whose standard of benevolence is this? Who is the arbiter of what is and what is not benevolent, when folks disagree? Is it an appeal to the dictionary? If it's something else, than what is it?
08-12-2014, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 02:53 PM by Tomasia.)
(08-12-2014 01:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Disagreeing with that is not just a grammatical difference, it is a denial of a basic understanding of how words are used. You can hand-wave all you like about needing an objective standard in order to argue the point but all you are doing is making yourself look foolish.

So your argument boils down to theist denying how words are used? Using the term benevolence improperly? Or in other words using improper grammar? Your criticisms is basically that of an english teacher?

Quote:Theodicy has been a problem within Christianity from the beginning and your simply defining it out of existence may make you feel good but it doesn't actually address the issue.

Theodicy is only an issue when proposed with some sort of objective standard existing in the background, it requires an acceptance of a teleological view of life, by both those who raise the problem, and those addressing it.

The problem for those who don't hold these beliefs, should be quite obvious at this point, when the only objective foundation you can find yourself somewhat able to appeal to is grammar. You can hand wave all you want, but you appear at some level to acknowledge this, but are not courageous enough to honestly confess it.
08-12-2014, 01:47 PM
(08-12-2014 01:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 12:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The incompatibility in Reality with a loving god allowing innocent children to suffer, stands.

Whose standard of benevolence is this? Who is the arbiter of what is and what is not benevolent, when folks disagree? Is it an appeal to the dictionary? If it's something else, than what is it?

You are telling me YOU want to see your children suffer ?
Right.

You lose.
Buh bye.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-12-2014, 01:51 PM
(08-12-2014 01:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Your criticisms is basically that of an english teacher?

No, my criticism is basically that of a human who understands and experiences empathy. You apparently do not. That is sad.

08-12-2014, 02:14 PM
(08-12-2014 01:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:Theodicy has been a problem within Christianity from the beginning and your simply defining it out of existence may make you feel good but it doesn't actually address the issue.

Theodicy is only an issue when proposed with some sort of objective standard existing in the background, it requires an acceptance of a teleological view of life, by both those who raise the problem, and those addressing it.

I had said that it has been a problem within Christianity specifically because it still exists even within the framework of Christian beliefs. Are you agreeing that Christianity internally recognizes the problem of evil?

08-12-2014, 02:25 PM
(08-12-2014 01:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 01:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Whose standard of benevolence is this? Who is the arbiter of what is and what is not benevolent, when folks disagree? Is it an appeal to the dictionary? If it's something else, than what is it?

You are telling me YOU want to see your children suffer ?
Right.

And what are you trying to tell me here? That I'm the arbiter?
08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
(08-12-2014 02:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I had said that it has been a problem within Christianity specifically because it still exists even within the framework of Christian beliefs.

So the belief that omnibenevolence is negated by the existence of meaningless suffering, is a Christian belief? It's a problem that only exists within the christian standard of benevolence?
08-12-2014, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 02:47 PM by Tomasia.)
(08-12-2014 01:51 PM)unfogged Wrote:  No, my criticism is basically that of a human who understands and experiences empathy. You apparently do not. That is sad.

It's pretty pathetic if you're an atheists appealing to empathy, or love, as if it were a God, a transcendent like authority, a master for whom we are to be slaves to. Perhaps you should come out of the closet and confess to being a god-bot.