Is That a Banana in Your Water?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2011, 12:34 PM

Rainbow Is That a Banana in Your Water?
National Geographic
Daily News
Is That a Banana in Your Water?
New science shows peels can remove heavy metals from water.
(Full Article)

I love nature. I really really do. Everything we need to survive, everything that plagues, threatens, makes ill, etc... nature has an answer for it. Finding it, is the fun afforded in reading articles like this. [Image: bananna.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2011, 01:11 PM
RE: Is That a Banana in Your Water?
Whew, I thought this was going to be a dirtier thread.

That is awesome. I wonder if the peels lose their ability to pull metals out of water over a short period of time or if the ability is there for a while after peeled. This seems like it could lead to healthier and cheaper water treatment facilities.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2011, 02:44 AM
The solution is proven in a reputable journal so I'm on board :
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie101499e
I'm still wondering how they will manage to implement it.Especially on the scale necessary for our large urban centers.I hope this doesn't add to deforestation for banana plantations Sad
Also , the abstract in the American Journal of Chemistry only mentions Lead and Copper ions - sadly.

Quote:Everything we need to survive, everything that plagues, threatens, makes ill, etc... nature has an answer for it.

Except aids and cancer so far .

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
16-03-2011, 09:29 AM

(16-03-2011 02:44 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Everything we need to survive, everything that plagues, threatens, makes ill, etc... nature has an answer for it.

Except aids and cancer so far .
Well, there are some remedies that help in the fight against cancer. Essiac is one. Cat's claw from the Amazon is another.
And remember, it's all a matter of discovery. So there's always tomorrow. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 01:43 AM
(16-03-2011 02:44 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I'm still wondering how they will manage to implement it.Especially on the scale necessary for our large urban centers.I hope this doesn't add to deforestation for banana plantations Sad

My guess is that the most effective place to employ the banana absorbtion technique would be as the last stage of filtering systems for purifying waste water before the water is returned to rivers and lakes.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
17-03-2011, 12:46 PM
@gassykitten
Actually , if we did nothing about aids in Africa , people who are developing a resistance now would be totally immune in about 2000 years.Considering a few millions die every year from aids that would ad up to trillions of lives lost.Still it would be a "natural" adaptation - I have no idea why I shared that.
As far as what nature has to offer , I'm not 100% convinced the natural world is THAT abundant - I have to look at more papers and see how & what is available.

@No.J
Hey - if it works , they can go for it.I'd give the clear right away.And if they don't have anything to do with the bananas , you can make great alcohol with them Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
19-03-2011, 12:15 AM
(17-03-2011 12:46 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  @gassykitten
Actually , if we did nothing about aids in Africa , people who are developing a resistance now would be totally immune in about 2000 years.

I saw a program years ago that said that blood tests on large cats [lions, tigers etc.] show that they all have FIV and are immune to it.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.