Is The Definition Of Atheism Really That Difficult For Creationists To Understand?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 10:58 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
Is The Definition Of Atheism Really That Difficult For Creationists To Understand?
I don't understand why creationists can't understand the concept of not believing in a god without a whole crapload of other stuff being involved. Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of deities. That's it! Nothing more, nothing less!

Suppose, hypothetically, that Taqiyya Mockingbird (hope you don't mind me using you in my example Smile) and I disagreed on nearly everything. Suppose he thought that the Big Bang Theory did not have enough evidence to be considered credible, and I thought that the theory of Evolution did not have enough evidence to be considered credible. Well, guess what? If we still agree on the matter that we do not believe in the existence of deities...THEN WE'RE BOTH STILL ATHEISTS!!

Even if you proved theories like Evolution or The Big Bang to be wrong, it still doesn't prove the existence of your god! The problem is that you use a book of fairy tales as a source of evidence for your invisible sky daddy's existence, and then assume that atheists have to have a set of things they have to agree on in order to be considered atheists (like Evolution or The Big Bang). They don't. They only have to agree on ONE THING: that they do not believe that deities exist!

It is a lack of belief in deities, and that is all that their is to it. So these sad attempts at disproving scientific theories that have mounds of proof are still irrelevant when it comes to deities. You still don't prove the existence of a god (let alone YOUR god) and certainly don't offer any proof for all of the magic that you claim to be true. You think "atheism = evolution, therefore if I prove evolution to be wrong, I automatically prove Christianity to be right and the Bible to be true!" That is not the case. If you were able to disprove those theories, the only thing that you would be proving would be that those theories were wrong. You would still not be proving the existence of your god. This is just as ridiculous as saying "I believe in reincarnation, therefore if I prove evolution to be wrong, I also prove reincarnation to be true!" One has no bearing on the other.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
03-03-2014, 09:48 PM
RE: Is The Definition Of Atheism Really That Difficult For Creationists To Understand?
I know. I hate when religious people (And even some non-religious people) will say things such as, "So, you don't believe in anything?" Or "You believe in science, so you aren't actually an atheist." I feel like shouting... "Read a book!" Like you said, we simply do not believe in deities - nothing more, nothing less.
[+] 5 users Like Flowergurl's post
03-03-2014, 09:59 PM
RE: Is my Definition Of Atheism Really That Difficult For Creationists To Understand?
So often real atheists...err I mean... non-stamp collectors retreat to the neutral corner and claim they merely lack theism, and claim theirs is the default,
'born-that-way' tabula rasa....which would be fine, except they often take this approach AFTER having just critiqued someone else's worldview

You cannot ignore the fact that millions of pages have been written by atheists about atheism. And you cannot ignore the fact that atheists gather at international conventions
to discuss "The Atheist Perspective"
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
03-03-2014, 10:11 PM
RE: Is The Definition Of Atheism Really That Difficult For Creationists To Understand?
There isn't much on earth more dense than a creatard. Trying to get anything through their skulls is an effort.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
03-03-2014, 10:23 PM
It's not hard to understand, it's just more convenient not to.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
03-03-2014, 10:28 PM
(03-03-2014 09:59 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  So often real atheists...err I mean... non-stamp collectors retreat to the neutral corner and claim they merely lack theism, and claim theirs is the default,
'born-that-way' tabula rasa....which would be fine, except they often take this approach AFTER having just critiqued someone else's worldview

You cannot ignore the fact that millions of pages have been written by atheists about atheism. And you cannot ignore the fact that atheists gather at international conventions

What, exactly, is your point?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2014, 10:46 PM
(03-03-2014 09:40 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Suppose, hypothetically, that Taqiyya Mockingbird (hope you don't mind me using you in my example Smile) and I disagreed on nearly everything.

Oh, why, oh WHY does everybody pick on me? Sadcryface2

Quote: Suppose he thought that the Big Bang Theory did not have enough evidence to be considered credible, and I thought that the theory of Evolution did not have enough evidence to be considered credible. Well, guess what? If we still agree on the matter that we do not believe in the existence of deities...THEN WE'RE BOTH STILL ATHEISTS!!

I have actually voiced doubts about the "Big Bang", before I understood that it does not actually theorize how the universe supposedly came to be.

Quote:Even if you proved theories like Evolution or The Big Bang to be wrong, it still doesn't prove the existence of your god! The problem is that you use a book of fairy tales as a source of evidence for your invisible sky daddy's existence, and then assume that atheists have to a set of things they have to agree on in order to be considered atheists (like Evolution or The Big Bang). They don't. They only have to agree on ONE THING: that they do not believe that deities exist!

Yup, and I have pretty much voiced this same sentiment as well. You are right on.

Quote:It is a lack of belief in deities, and that is all that their is to it. So these sad attempts at disproving scientific theories that have mounds of proof are still irrelevant when it comes to deities. You still don't prove the existence of a god (let alone YOUR god) and certainly don't offer any proof for all of the magic that you claim to be true. You think "atheism = evolution, therefore if I prove evolution to be wrong, I automatically prove Christianity to be right and the Bible to be true!" That is not the case. If you were able to disprove those theories, the only thing that you would be proving would be that those theories were wrong. You would still not be proving the existence of your god. This is just as ridiculous as saying "I believe in reincarnation, therefore if I prove evolution to be wrong, I also prove reincarnation to be true!" One has no bearing on the other.

There are actually Buddhists and Hindus who believe that. I could also dig up a YT video of a well-known Buddhist monk saying "If you don't believe in "re-birth" [reincarnation] in this life, you will in the next!"

They all think they are so clever.... Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
03-03-2014, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 11:21 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(03-03-2014 09:59 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  So often real atheists...err I mean... non-stamp collectors retreat to the neutral corner...

When you are getting horseshit stuffed by force down your throat, and your fucking children's throats, there IS NO "neutral corner".

Quote: and claim they merely lack theism,

That is true. Unfortunately, you assholes can't live with us lacking theism your fairy tale bullshit, and so you come spouting your fairy tale shit in our forums, and try to stuff your fairy tale bullshit down our throats, and try to legislate mandates that our governments and our schools stuff your fairy tale bullshit down our throats and our children's throats. And you have the arrogance and the gall to PRETEND to wonder why we don't like it.

Quote: and claim theirs is the default,

None of us are born believing in any gods. OR in reincarnation, or the fucking Tooth Fairy, or Santa Claus.

Quote:'born-that-way' tabula rasa....which would be fine, except they often take this approach AFTER having just critiqued someone else's worldview

Exactly why do you have a fucking problem with that. Your "worldview" is fucking fairy tale bullshit. You come here spouting your fairy tale bullshit, and we tell you that it's fairy tale bullshit, just like the fairy tale bullshit any other dickhead tries to come in here and stuff down our throats. That includes MORmONs, Muslims, Hindus, Lamaists, Mahayanists, Abhidhammists, and every other flavor of competing fairy tale that's out there. We tell you that yours is no fucking better than any other one of them, and that you are an atheist when it comes to every one of the above fairy tales besides your own. Yes, it's the default. We simply default once more than you do, believe one less fucking fairy tale than you sons of bitches do.

Quote:You cannot ignore the fact that millions of pages have been written by atheists about atheism.

What's to ignore? If you assholes would keep your fucking personality disorders AND your fairy tale bullshit TO YOURSELVES it wouldn't be a fucking problem and we wouldn't have to mobilize and fight the oppression you are imposing on us and our children.

You see, asshole, it isn't about "Atheism" as a "worldview" or an "ideal"; the discussion is and should be about how to stop you arrogant, deluded sons of bitches from trying to stuff your inane fairy tale bullshit down our throats and our children's throats. Why are you too fucking stupid to get that?

Quote: And you cannot ignore the fact that atheists gather at international conventions

Yes, we gather to communicate our frustrations with your advances on us and our children, and to work out ways of getting your fucking boots off of our fucking necks and those of our children. And yes, you are right to be afraid of that and to fear us. Because this IS a fucking war and we are going to fucking win it.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 5 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
03-03-2014, 11:15 PM
WCJ,

So you're saying that you don't believe in the Big Bang Theory?

HERETIC!!!!1!!

03-03-2014, 11:47 PM
When is everyone gonna realize that creationists don't give a fuck about the facts?

Contrary to what is tempting to think, creationists aren't stupid... In fact, they are what they are for precisely the same reasons that most atheists don't believe... Science, logic and reason.

The difference is, they are afraid... They know that modern science, evolution in particular, undermines their beliefs. And they can't handle being forced to reevaluate their beliefs.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post