Is The Definition Of Atheism Really That Difficult For Creationists To Understand?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 03:06 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Is The Definition Of Atheism Really That Difficult For Creationists To Understand?
(03-03-2014 09:59 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  So often real atheists...err I mean... non-stamp collectors retreat to the neutral corner and claim they merely lack theism, and claim theirs is the default,
'born-that-way' tabula rasa....which would be fine, except they often take this approach AFTER having just critiqued someone else's worldview

You cannot ignore the fact that millions of pages have been written by atheists about atheism. And you cannot ignore the fact that atheists gather at international conventions
to discuss "The Atheist Perspective"

Well when hordes of Astrologers start culturally indoctrinating generations of children, holding undue power in politics, and imposing their beliefs on others? Then you too can make starwman arguments against us non-astrologers.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-03-2014, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 12:07 AM by sporehux.)
RE: Is The Definition Of Atheism Really That Difficult For Creationists To Understand?
I think we bring a lot of crap upon ourselves by continuing to dodge the "so your claiming there is no god" question.
Many atheists have trouble stating there is no God, rather they dance around semantics and don't out right say gods are a lie.
"I'm not saying there is no God, I'm saying I don't believe in the ones presented" this is Atheist apologetics:

We don't claim Thor or Santa Claus are possible, we flatly claim they don't exist.
Why then with the mountain of evidence that proves all deities are fictional, do we make an exemption for them ?
Many public Atheists are guilty of this, Why?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
04-03-2014, 12:03 AM
(03-03-2014 11:48 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...undue power in politics.

Democracy - what a bummer!
04-03-2014, 12:15 AM
(04-03-2014 12:03 AM)sporehux Wrote:  ...

Burden of proof, darling, burden of proof.

A positive claim puts one on the defensive. And it's an unfalsifiable position.

Better to say, "There is no point arguing that there are NO gods even though I hold that position, but I would very much like to hear your arguments and see your evidence that might persuade me that there ARE gods... go for it."

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
04-03-2014, 12:15 AM
(04-03-2014 12:03 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I think we bring a lot of crap upon ourselves by continuing to dodge the "so your claiming there is no god" question.
Many atheists have trouble stating there is no God, rather they dance around semantics and don't out right say gods are a lie.
"I'm not saying there is no God, I'm saying I don't believe in the ones presented" this is Atheist apologetics:

We don't claim Thor or Santa Claus are possible, we flatly claim they don't exist.
Why then with the mountain of evidence that proves all deities are fictional, do we make an exemption for them ?

Um I dunno. I mean I will say with reasonable certainty that Yahweh does not exist. It's the same certainty I have that Thor or Santa Claus doesn't exist. But god? No, it is not dancing around semantics. You cannot say the universe was not created by some intelligence with the same certainty. You can only deny the assertion due to the lack of evidence.
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
04-03-2014, 12:22 AM
(04-03-2014 12:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 12:03 AM)sporehux Wrote:  ...

Burden of proof, darling, burden of proof.

A positive claim puts one on the defensive. And it's an unfalsifiable position.

Better to say, "There is no point arguing that there are NO gods even though I hold that position, but I would very much like to hear your arguments and see your evidence that might persuade me that there ARE gods... go for it."

I see your point but am with sporehux. I am happy to make the claim. As evidence for my position I offer the mountains of support for evolution, which in turn disproves the creation account in Genesis. ... That's for starters, that's Yahweh of the bible done. Falisfy evolution you God bothering fuckers! Drinking Beverage

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
04-03-2014, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 01:57 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(04-03-2014 12:03 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 11:48 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...undue power in politics.

Democracy - what a bummer!

Fuck you. When the fundamentalist are passing clearly unconstitutional laws (like that most recent 'religious freedom' bill that was veto'd in Nevada), when people are trying to codify into secular law their religious prejudices? When the relatively tiny Israeli lobby holds such sway over our foreign policy? When fundamental Dominionists make up an alarmingly large percentage of our military officers and control so much military policy? When the democratic process is being sidestepped and gamed to impose their strictly religious agendas onto everyone else? Yeah, I have a problem with that.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-03-2014, 01:37 AM
(04-03-2014 12:15 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 12:03 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I think we bring a lot of crap upon ourselves by continuing to dodge the "so your claiming there is no god" question.

Um I dunno. I mean I will say with reasonable certainty that Yahweh does not exist. It's the same certainty I have that Thor or Santa Claus doesn't exist. But god? No, it is not dancing around semantics. You cannot say the universe was not created by some intelligence with the same certainty. You can only deny the assertion due to the lack of evidence.

RE
"You cannot say the universe was not created by some intelligence with the same certainty."

Why not?
I can.
Because there's there's no evidence for a creative intelligence.
Zilch, nuthin', nil, not a single thing, nix, sweet Fanny Adams, not a dicky bird, not a sausage, zip, zippo, zero, nada, diddly-squat, a goose egg, bupkis, bugger all, fuck all, sod all, nought.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
04-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Deities as defined by theists and non theists are near unanimously considered to be involved in human affairs.
An intelligent power that created the laws of physics and triggered the expansion would not be a god as its commonly understood/defined.
Therefore there are no gods, the creation of our time line is an, I don't know let's figure it out, regarding the unknown as being Supernatural is for theists to wallow in, we should just see it as a limited understanding that needs research.

The scientific method will reveal a designer if there is one, working on an assumption there may be one will hinder research with woo.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
04-03-2014, 03:33 AM
I genuinely believe that one day(though not in any of our lifetimes) Atheism will be the norm and believing in deities will be seen the same way as thinking the earth is flat. "Atheism" won't even be a term anymore
[+] 4 users Like Aleprauchanist's post