Is There A Term For...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Is There A Term For...
... that feeling you get when a friend has dragged you along to a match in a sport where you kinda know the rules but have no loyalty to either side and as the match progresses, you realise you are supporting one of the teams?

You start with reluctance and indifference
and then maybe admiration for a skillful move or a display of sportspersonship or some indignity over cheating by one of the teams.
and then you notice your stomach muscles tightening as the crowd surges
and then you realise your are oohing and aahing
And finally the relief or joy or disappointment of a victory or a defeat.

There was nothing rational about it. It's purely emotional... perhaps rooting for the underdog or perhaps wanting justice for the clearly more organised or fitter side.

And this is despite having a dislike of the game and knowing that the governing body is corrupt and that most the players on both sides are illiterate wankers.

So, I find myself wanting to see a late surge for Trump.

:ducks for cover:

[Image: 1501aaa8782b3c434e10936f394643fc.jpg]

A similar feeling with Brexit ... knowing how disastrous it would be for trade (but great exchange rate for tourism and for me sending money home) ... but kinda, sorta, wanting to witness the rising up of the down-trodden masses.

Also, a bit like that fear of heights feeling which is really the fear of the knowledge that some voice within you is going to say "Go on, you know you can fly... just do it!" (which happens to me whenever I open a window up here on the 31st floor).

Sadcryface

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
07-11-2016, 07:37 AM
RE: Is There A Term For...
The term "lemming" comes to mind. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
07-11-2016, 08:08 AM
Might also be called "empathy" for the perceived underdog - ever a dodgy emotion!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
07-11-2016, 08:26 AM
(07-11-2016 08:08 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Might also be called "empathy" for the perceived underdog - ever a dodgy emotion!

I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it.

But in this case, it's a dog I would happily kick in the nuts. And the thought of his obnoxious family preening themselves in the Whitehouse is ... Rainbow Vomit

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-11-2016, 09:06 AM
(07-11-2016 08:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-11-2016 08:08 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Might also be called "empathy" for the perceived underdog - ever a dodgy emotion!

I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it.

But in this case, it's a dog I would happily kick in the nuts. And the thought of his obnoxious family preening themselves in the Whitehouse is ... Rainbow Vomit

Would that that late surge for Donald was a line of people waiting to kick him in the nuts, headed by all the women he's taken advantage of, all wearing spike heels. So, in a little over 40 hours from now, let the wailing of "RIGGED!" commence. If prayer worked, I'd be using it. Instead, I only have this one vote.

BoT, I think that one can find an appreciation for a sports performance, even if one doesn't care for the sport.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Group think. Very dangerous, that. IMO the cause of most of the strife of humanity.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-11-2016, 09:27 AM
(07-11-2016 09:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  Group think. Very dangerous, that. IMO the cause of most of the strife of humanity.

I'll see your 'group think' and raise you 'motivated reasoning'.

Also, I'm happy to see DLJ making use of visual aids without needing to be goaded into doing so. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-11-2016, 09:28 AM
(07-11-2016 08:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  family preening themselves in the Whitehouse is ... Rainbow Vomit

She also might be the first First Lady with nude photos on the internet ... that would be quite an accomplishment.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-11-2016, 10:36 AM
(07-11-2016 09:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-11-2016 08:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  family preening themselves in the Whitehouse is ... Rainbow Vomit

She also might be the first First Lady with nude photos on the internet ... that would be quite an accomplishment.

Just because we could, doesn't mean we should.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]