Is There Really Any Evidence For Intelligent Design?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 02:58 PM
RE: Is There Really Any Evidence For Intelligent Design?
(20-12-2012 02:55 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Psssst. It was Christopher Walken, but yeah, I'd probably take either of them over Eddie Murphy, unless I was in the mood for comedy.
I'm not real sure where my head is at the moment. Perhaps in one of the aforementioned regions of my body o_O

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 03:03 PM by Vosur.)
Biological evolution is an ongoing process that can be studied and observed today, whereas Intelligent Design is a one-time event of an intelligent being creating the human race. One can be falsified and validated, the other one cannot. Nothing we observe in our physical realm is ever going to serve as evidence for something that supposedly exists outside of that realm. The argument for ID comes down to the fallacy of false dichotomy (claiming that there are only two choices when in fact more than two exist) and the god-of-the-gaps fallacy (we don't know it, therefore god did it), because even if it was shown that the theory of evolution is wrong, it does not logically follow that ID is correct. A hypothesis that has no evidence to support it doesn't gain one iota of credibility if competing theories are shown to be incorrect; it has to be judged based on its own merits.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
20-12-2012, 03:57 PM
(20-12-2012 01:28 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  Many of us on the forums know what "Intelligent" Design is? We've heard the feeble arguments made by the ignorant proponents of this claim. They've tried to claim that a number of human body parts, including the eye, could have never been produced as a result of evolution. Accepted by nearly 95% of those who hold a college degree in any field of science, the Darwinian Theory of Evolution is unrivaled by any claim or hypothesis within the scientific community; however, a large percentage of the United States population still favors the mythology provided by the Old Testimate. But why?
I think you answered your own question there. People accepting it is due to an argument from ignorance. People who haven't studied biology or even read about it or watched documentaries. "I don't understand evolution, therefore God." Everyone I've met with an actual understanding of how evolution works accept it's the reason for the biological diversity today.

Also, false dichotomy. Evolution doesn't explain the origin of life from nonliving stuff, just the way it came to be how it is today. Abiogenesis would be life arising from nonliving stuff. It's just usually considered that ID is the "opposite" of evolution because ID can't explain things changing over time.

So no, I'd say there is no evidence and that ID is an argument from ignorance.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
20-12-2012, 04:11 PM
(20-12-2012 03:57 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 01:28 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  Many of us on the forums know what "Intelligent" Design is? We've heard the feeble arguments made by the ignorant proponents of this claim. They've tried to claim that a number of human body parts, including the eye, could have never been produced as a result of evolution. Accepted by nearly 95% of those who hold a college degree in any field of science, the Darwinian Theory of Evolution is unrivaled by any claim or hypothesis within the scientific community; however, a large percentage of the United States population still favors the mythology provided by the Old Testimate. But why?
I think you answered your own question there. People accepting it is due to an argument from ignorance. People who haven't studied biology or even read about it or watched documentaries. "I don't understand evolution, therefore God." Everyone I've met with an actual understanding of how evolution works accept it's the reason for the biological diversity today.

Also, false dichotomy. Evolution doesn't explain the origin of life from nonliving stuff, just the way it came to be how it is today. Abiogenesis would be life arising from nonliving stuff. It's just usually considered that ID is the "opposite" of evolution because ID can't explain things changing over time.

So no, I'd say there is no evidence and that ID is an argument from ignorance.
Right on.

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
20-12-2012, 04:38 PM
(20-12-2012 03:57 PM)amyb Wrote:  Also, false dichotomy. Evolution doesn't explain the origin of life from nonliving stuff, just the way it came to be how it is today. Abiogenesis would be life arising from nonliving stuff. It's just usually considered that ID is the "opposite" of evolution because ID can't explain things changing over time.

Intelligent Design is not so much a false dichotomy (vs. evolution) but rather a false, well, falsehood.

There is no such thing as Intelligent Design (ID). Nobody is running around building churches and worshiping the almighty intelligent designer. No, ID is just a label, a repackaging of an already existing ideology, specifically Christianity. I say Christianity because I don't really see Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc., running around arguing for ID in their schools.

Christianity lost the battle for teaching Genesis mythology in science classrooms. They lost. Defeated. They realized that beating that dead horse wasn't going to make it get up and run. But they didn't want to give up the fight. Then some bright Christian came up with the idea of teaching the same crap under a new name, a non-religious name. Insist on separation of church and state? Don't want religion taught as part of regular school curriculum? Fine, but there's no rule against teaching about Intelligent Design, that's not a religion, right? We can put that in the science text books without commingling church and state, right?

So they pretend it's a thing. They pretend they're fighting for Intelligent Design when really, truthfully, it's just a non-thing being used as a smoke screen under which they can sneak their Christianity in under the dumb atheist noses. Or so they think. This horse is pretty much on its last breath too, so soon they're going to have to stop beating its corpse and look for a new tactic.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
20-12-2012, 04:42 PM
^Agreed with all that. Which is why it's so insane that they want to "teach the controversy." There is no controversy, just ignorance of science.
20-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Proponents of ID lost their fight long ago. Yes

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
20-12-2012, 04:49 PM
There is actually a surprising number of Christians who support evolution.

Chart here.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
20-12-2012, 04:51 PM
We debunked ID here: See Post # 9.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...m+debunked

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)