Poll: Is This Acceptable As Scientific Evidence?
Yes
No
I don't know
I have no idea, hell, I don't even know why I'm voting
[Show Results]

Is This Evidence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Is This Evidence?
I've just been talking to my Dad about various topics, including ghosts.

I'm sure most of you know that I have zero belief in the paranormal and generally don't have much time for people who do (unless they attempt to rationally explain it). My Dad does believe in ghosts though he does believe that most ghost stories are bullshit.

Anyways, we got onto the topic of Most Haunted, one of those bullshit shows that attempts to film the paranormal. My Dad says that he watched an episode where while the crew were filming a security guard looked out of a window into a courtyard and saw a woman walking though it, the courtyard was sealed off and there was definitely no-one in it. The show's sceptic claimed that the security guard was a big time sceptic himself with no reason to lie, and definitely not the sort of person to get spooked by suggestion. The sceptic claimed he 'cannot explain this'.

My Dad thinks this is potentially valid evidence for the existence of ghosts. I think that there could be several explanations. My Dad also implied that I am possibly being as rigid and inflexible as creationists with my viewpoint as I am rejecting potential evidence that doesn't fit with my view of the world.

Anyone got any opinions?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
RE: Is This Evidence?
(08-03-2012 06:20 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I've just been talking to my Dad about various topics, including ghosts.

I'm sure most of you know that I have zero belief in the paranormal and generally don't have much time for people who do (unless they attempt to rationally explain it). My Dad does believe in ghosts though he does believe that most ghost stories are bullshit.

Anyways, we got onto the topic of Most Haunted, one of those bullshit shows that attempts to film the paranormal. My Dad says that he watched an episode where while the crew were filming a security guard looked out of a window into a courtyard and saw a woman walking though it, the courtyard was sealed off and there was definitely no-one in it. The show's sceptic claimed that the security guard was a big time sceptic himself with no reason to lie, and definitely not the sort of person to get spooked by suggestion. The sceptic claimed he 'cannot explain this'.

My Dad thinks this is potentially valid evidence for the existence of ghosts. I think that there could be several explanations. My Dad also implied that I am possibly being as rigid and inflexible as creationists with my viewpoint as I am rejecting potential evidence that doesn't fit with my view of the world.

Anyone got any opinions?

I'd say it has to be some sort of illusion. Get the bullshit detector out, Hughsie Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
08-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Eyewitness accounts are barely acceptable as *courtroom* evidence, let alone scientific evidence. There is quite a lot of room to fool the human mind and senses. That's why for scientific rigor we demand many eyes, many brains, and standards upon which all those eyes and brains can agree.
08-03-2012, 07:29 PM
No Most Haunted is by a mile one of the most faked programs on TV.

Also Derek Acorah is a prick.
08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Um... like... I'm not voting cause... like... you know the answer or something.... like...

[Image: tumblr_lm0fgcLEQy1qdlkgg.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Evidence that we have been invaded by green aliens from outer space Bows and Arrows 14 283 09-07-2014 11:05 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  Hiding evidence. Metazoa Zeke 22 477 15-05-2014 09:18 PM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou
Question [Nevermind] Evidence for Jesus being combination of multiple gods? whitemoongurl 2 150 02-03-2014 12:05 AM
Last Post: toadaly
  Evidence of the Afterlife The Science of Near-Death Experiences. A book review. anonymous66 13 810 08-01-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  What is the scientific evidence for the existence of HIV? I and I 239 4,519 19-11-2013 05:15 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  [split] What is the scientific evidence for the existence of HIV? KillKillKilltoTheThird 13 381 15-11-2013 09:48 PM
Last Post: Cephalotus
  Believing in something without needing evidence.....conspiracy theory? I and I 104 3,615 06-06-2013 10:40 AM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf