Is Trust in Science Lost in USA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2014, 11:55 AM
RE: Is Trust in Science Lost in USA
(22-04-2014 11:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 11:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Also:

what the shit is scientism?

It's the pejorative word fundie idiots are told to use, to talk about "confidence" in the Scientific Method.
It makes them feel all (snort) philosophical and superior.

It's a sticker they can slap on any scientific knowledge they don't like.

Quote:Unlike the use of the scientific method as only one mode of reaching knowledge, scientism claims that science alone can render truth about the world and reality. Scientism's single-minded adherence to only the empirical, or testable, makes it a strictly scientifc worldview, in much the same way that a Protestant fundamentalism that rejects science can be seen as a strictly religious worldview. Scientism sees it necessary to do away with most, if not all, metaphysical, philosophical, and religious claims, as the truths they proclaim cannot be apprehended by the scientific method. In essence, scientism sees science as the absolute and only justifiable access to the truth.

http://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/genglo...-body.html

It's an enormously biased definition, though obviously misapplied to widely confirmed accepted scientific knowledge.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
22-04-2014, 12:00 PM
(22-04-2014 11:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Most of you have missed the point of my post. I am not arguing that God exists or that because most people believe in some sort of transcendance that therefore God exists or that because a majority of people believe something that means it is true.

My argument is that belief in God and the transcendant is here to stay. It may be less prevalent in certain areas than others, nevertheless it is here to stay. Why?

Because when humans are faced with the more weighty and more critical questions of life, science really is impotent to answer.
Belief in God is "here to stay" like belief in a flat earth is "here to stay". There will probably always be a few who, for emotional reasons, refuse to face the facts, but eventually no one will take them seriously because knowledge will win out.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
22-04-2014, 12:09 PM
(22-04-2014 11:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Most of you have missed the point of my post. I am not arguing that God exists or that because most people believe in some sort of transcendance that therefore God exists or that because a majority of people believe something that means it is true.

My argument is that belief in God and the transcendant is here to stay. It may be less prevalent in certain areas than others, nevertheless it is here to stay. Why?

Because when humans are faced with the more weighty and more critical questions of life, science really is impotent to answer.

My post was entirely consistent with what you are describing. I'm also saying that the particular aspect of humanity that you are describing is suspiciously reminiscent of pigeons in a skinner box.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-04-2014, 12:09 PM
(22-04-2014 07:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I think in a certain sense, facts can argue against faith and show a particular belief to be false. I say this as a Christian.

For example, if Christ did not rise bodily from the dead on the Sunday following His crucifixion, then this fact would argue against the belief in His resurrection.

Sounds to me like you are shifting the burden of proof.

The logical and reasonable method to follow is to disbelieve claims, such as a resurrection,until they meet their burden of proof. Not to believe them until they are proven false.

This leads to belief in all sorts of, possibly contradictory, claims until they proven falsie, which I am sure you don't do. You probably only reserve belief until proven false for your Christian beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post
22-04-2014, 12:10 PM
(22-04-2014 11:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Also:

what the shit is scientism?

In short, simply the belief that science is capable of answering all the important questions. Most atheists are probably "guilty" of scientism. Religious people tend to use it as a pejorative term, but it needn't be taken that way. Alex Rosenberg, in his book The Atheist's Guide to Reality (http://www.amazon.com/Atheists-Guide-Rea...=atheist), embraces the term. Wikipedia has a full, reasonably unbiased, discussion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
22-04-2014, 12:20 PM
(22-04-2014 11:54 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 11:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nonsense. Assertion of evidence of nothing. It's not even an "augment", it's bald assertion with no evidence to support it.
(Is that what they taught you to say at Biola ?)
"Less prevalent in certain areas ?"
You bet your sweet ass it is. In the best educated places, it's "less prevalent".
When humans are faced with the MOST weighty and critical questions, they go to University Medical Centers, where the Oncologists, Cardiologists, Neurosurgeons, and Emergency Medicine and Trauma Surgeons work all day. If YOU were faced with a "critical" question of life, YOU would turn to science, as would every single one of your hypocritical fundie buddies. YOU would not sit at home and pray.

Do you love anyone? A wife? A child? A parent? A beloved friend?

Nice try at evasion. Not gonna work. The question is irrelevant. The fact is no matter what happened that raised an important question in anyone's life I love, religion would never play any part. And don't even try to start with the "love is transcendent" bs. It is what it is. We know what it is. It's important, maybe even in some instances most important. I see what you're about to try to do. I refuse to devalue it, by allowing you to paint it with your religion "transcendence" brush.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Although tis true that I'm religious. I disagree that there is any correlation between my denial of man-caused global warming. As such I kinda feel as though that one was out of place.

Its kinda funny, I was thinking about mentioning the fact that my history teacher at my university decided to ask the first years whether or not they believed in man-caused global warming and no one said the believed in it. So at my school there is a 100% denial of global warming. I thought that was kind of neat.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
22-04-2014, 01:08 PM
(22-04-2014 12:09 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 07:44 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I think in a certain sense, facts can argue against faith and show a particular belief to be false. I say this as a Christian.

For example, if Christ did not rise bodily from the dead on the Sunday following His crucifixion, then this fact would argue against the belief in His resurrection.

Sounds to me like you are shifting the burden of proof.

The logical and reasonable method to follow is to disbelieve claims, such as a resurrection,until they meet their burden of proof. Not to believe them until they are proven false.

This leads to belief in all sorts of, possibly contradictory, claims until they proven falsie, which I am sure you don't do. You probably only reserve belief until proven false for your Christian beliefs.

I do not agree. Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?
22-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Oh really? So how come people go to doctors more than church when something is wrong? (except stupid snake handlers who die).

For every illness, death or major traumatic life event in my life and of those around me (I've had a lot) I have wanted to know the truth and how to help myself or others in the future more. That has never equalled 'God'. That has made God a fairytale and wishful thinking. I am not numbing my pain with wishful thinking.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
22-04-2014, 01:16 PM
(22-04-2014 01:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 12:09 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  Sounds to me like you are shifting the burden of proof.

I do not agree. Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?

Wow, I'm glad you didn't develop our legal system.

So you believe the claims of all other religions? If not, how have they been proven false to you?
[+] 7 users Like meremortal's post