Is Trust in Science Lost in USA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2014, 01:44 PM
RE: Is Trust in Science Lost in USA
(22-04-2014 01:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not agree. Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?

I guess I need to start worshiping Zeus as I cannot 100% disprove his existence. Besides, lightning exists.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like guitar_nut's post
22-04-2014, 01:56 PM
(22-04-2014 01:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not agree. Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?

Because that is not the rational and logical thing to do.

If you don't actually care whether your beliefs are true, or likely to be true, then go ahead. But you are not using a method that is a path to truth.

Do you believe the Hindu god claims until they are proven false? Why not?
[+] 4 users Like Simon Moon's post
22-04-2014, 02:12 PM

That is an argument from ignorance. Lack of proof showing something does not exist is not an indication it exist.
[+] 4 users Like wazzel's post
22-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Wow - did not think it would turn into a pissing match with this JW character again, but viruses need to be dealt with I guess. And while we are at it, JW, you would not know a fact if it bit you in the aft deck. Take all the words like "transcendent, metaphysical, scientism, and supernatural" and keep them to your WOO-WOO circle of air-heads. Humans have resorted to these ideas and labels throughout the ages just to try and explain what is not known, or what is feared, at the time.

The thirst for real knowledge about these major scientific priniples is just so lacking it makes me ill. Folks do not want to know more, or care to find out about basic information that is easily available. I just don't get it!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 4 users Like Timber1025's post
22-04-2014, 03:28 PM
(22-04-2014 01:05 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Its kinda funny, I was thinking about mentioning the fact that my history teacher at my university decided to ask the first years whether or not they believed in man-caused global warming and no one said the believed in it. So at my school there is a 100% denial of global warming. I thought that was kind of neat.

If by "neat" you mean "we're all fucking doomed as a consequence", then, sure, I guess...

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
22-04-2014, 03:29 PM
(22-04-2014 01:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?

That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard.

... this is my signature!
[+] 11 users Like cjlr's post
22-04-2014, 03:37 PM
(22-04-2014 03:29 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 01:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?

Ha ha. I'm just going to take my invisible rainbow centaur for a walk with his fluffy invisible Sasquatch. TRUE 'TILL FALSE!
[+] 6 users Like LadyJane's post
22-04-2014, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2014 03:50 PM by GirlyMan.)

"Tell us exactly when you stopped beating your wife. It'll do you good to get it off your chest. If you can't tell us we'll have to assume the beatings are ongoing.""

Have these people seriously had no contact with the popo or the legal system? Not even on TV?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-04-2014, 04:02 PM
(22-04-2014 01:05 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Although tis true that I'm religious. I disagree that there is any correlation between my denial of man-caused global warming. As such I kinda feel as though that one was out of place.

Its kinda funny, I was thinking about mentioning the fact that my history teacher at my university decided to ask the first years whether or not they believed in man-caused global warming and no one said the believed in it. So at my school there is a 100% denial of global warming. I thought that was kind of neat.
Catholic parochial school? Just wondering how 100% got it wrong. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
22-04-2014, 04:04 PM

No I totally agree with Jeremy Walker.

I lent him a lot of money one night when he was blind drunk. As promised I'll be sending him details of my account so he can give me the money back.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post