Is Trust in Science Lost in USA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 02:55 AM
RE: Is Trust in Science Lost in USA
(22-04-2014 01:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not agree. Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?

"I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn't believe anything. " - David St. Hubbins
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2014, 05:59 AM
(22-04-2014 01:08 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not agree. Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?

You see, this is why no one takes you seriously here. Either:

1) You don't understand how fundamentally flawed that reasoning is, or

2) You're fucking with us.
23-04-2014, 06:06 AM
Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
I do not agree. Why disbelieve the claim as default. Why not believe it until it is proven false?

That kind of reasoning will land an adult in gaol one day.

Surely you cannot be this naive!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Jeremy E Walker:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-04-2014, 10:09 AM
I can't get my clipboard to open on my phone, there are supporting articles for this, The Guardian had a particularly good one.

Back on topic.
Someone mentioned about global warming denialists in the USA on another thread recently, so I had a look about online, initially to see if it was a generation thing. In the UK, most of the deniers are older and it's mainly through guilt.

What I have been reading has again given me pause for thought. It would seem 'Murika, can (surprise surprise) tie GW denial to .... .... you guessed it, fundamental Christianity! Facepalm

Apparently, to acknowledge GW and take responsibility for the planet is in direct contradiction with the dogma, that 'we' have dominion over the planet, it's ours to plunder. God said.

If the planet is dying, again god is doing it, our abuse is not to blame, it's a coincidence.

I find myself saying this a lot but I feel really bad for the genuinely decent people in America but your general bible thumping populous who think that Canada and Mexico are the top and bottom of the world, I fucking hate them. ... and the Yanks who sit in there houses and classrooms 'deciding' their position on the GW question? How dare you? Get a fucking grip! It's not 'neat' you fucking clown! ...I have met Americans online and in real life (a lot of them on here) whom I admire, they are aware of the rest of the world and how Americas backwards thinking effects it and they live there! I admire their intellect but more so, their patience.

I wonder how many of the non thinking American fundamentalist population are aware of how bloated on stupidity, arrogant and imbecilic they appear to the rest of the world! ... You don't get to shit on my lawn cos you're 'Murika!

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
23-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Jeremy, I claim you owe me $10,000 for the hypnotic work that I did 2 years ago at your request. As per your own conditions, you told me that you didn't want any memory of the event and I did abide by all of your conditions. Please pay me the money you owe me or I will be forced to say the word that is planted deep in your subconscious that may have dire consequences on your health.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
23-04-2014, 10:33 AM
(22-04-2014 04:06 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  If a number of teachers are held in contempt by people, IMHO, it has more to do with the education level of the teachers themselves more so than people not liking the smart people.
What dancefortwo was referring to was politicians who look down on teachers. Politicians - those people that tell everyone else how to run things that they themselves never had any direct involvement with. So do I place any merit whatsoever in their opinion of teachers? No; none. Most teachers that I have ever known in any of the 3 states I have lived in have been quite well respected and quite well educated. Politicians, on the other hand, have done more to screw up education in the US than they have to help it.

(22-04-2014 04:06 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  But my experience has shown me that most teachers aren't all that bright. I think those teaching in the high school level are at a higher level than those in elementary ed, but not all of them are sharp people.
(22-04-2014 04:06 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  I'll grant that much of this is anecdotal and based on personal observation
Mmm hmm...

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post