Is Vintage Fur Wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Is Vintage Fur Wrong?
A good friend got a gorgeous sable fur coat from her husband for Christmas (it's from the 1950s -- I think it actually belonged to a relative).

Her sister threw a pissy fit. According to my friend there were tears and yelling.

Saying any fur is wrong.

Personally I don't see a problem with it. I would think its better to make use of older pieces than support new ones...if I actually cared about that.

So, what are your thoughts?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2014, 12:30 PM
RE: Is Vintage Fur Wrong?
(26-12-2014 12:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A good friend got a gorgeous sable fur coat from her husband for Christmas (it's from the 1950s -- I think it actually belonged to a relative).

Her sister threw a pissy fit. According to my friend there were tears and yelling.

Saying any fur is wrong.

Personally I don't see a problem with it. I would think its better to make use of older pieces than support new ones...if I actually cared about that.

If you must wear fur go vintage. It's made better and at least no new animals need to be anally electrocuted for it. Fur is kind of gauche either way though.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I personally don't have anything against it, but just for the sake of a good barney, I can't leave it at that.... Wink

So...have you considered that, as benign religion makes the world safe for fundamentalists, wearing any fur, even vintage, creates a safe breeding ground for the social acceptability of killing animals for fur?

I only mention this as you seem to be in doubt and I speculate that might be to do with your own latent (and admirable) concern for animal welfare. If I speculate correctly, this opinion might be useful to you.

Me? I see no functional distinction between wearing a fur and a leather jacket. What matters is how the ends are achieved.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
26-12-2014, 12:42 PM
(26-12-2014 12:36 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I personally don't have anything against it, but just for the sake of a good barney, I can't leave it at that.... Wink

So...have you considered that, as benign religion makes the world safe for fundamentalists, wearing any fur, even vintage, creates a safe breeding ground for the social acceptability of killing animals for fur?

I only mention this as you seem to be in doubt and I speculate that might be to do with your own latent (and admirable) concern for animal welfare. If I speculate correctly, this opinion might be useful to you.

Me? I see no functional distinction between wearing a fur and a leather jacket. What matters is how the ends are achieved.

Difference between fur and leather is the animals leather is made of are killed for meat (and other products) the leather is a byproduct not the reason the animal was kill (with the exceptions of alligator). Slightly less ethically messy since you are already eating the cow might as well use all of it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-12-2014, 12:44 PM
(26-12-2014 12:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 12:36 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I personally don't have anything against it, but just for the sake of a good barney, I can't leave it at that.... Wink

Difference between fur and leather is the animals leather is made of are killed for meat (and other products) the leather is a byproduct not the reason the animal was kill (with the exceptions of alligator). Slightly less ethically messy since you are already eating the cow might as well use all of it.

Yep, that's what I meant by my last sentence. That, humane animal treatment and the rest...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
26-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Not a fan of fur coats that don't contain the original animal.

But if a person is going to wear fur, vintage is the way to go.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-12-2014, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2014 01:38 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)

Yes, I do try to buy meats/poultry that are treated humanely. It's not always possible but I try where I can.

The fur issue really threw me though, because I'm not a fur person to begin with. I don't think on a social level someone wearing a vintage fur rendered from animals that died a decade or more before I was born, as an issue for people for buying or not buying fur today.

26-12-2014, 01:36 PM
(26-12-2014 12:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 12:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A good friend got a gorgeous sable fur coat from her husband for Christmas (it's from the 1950s -- I think it actually belonged to a relative).

Saying any fur is wrong.

If you must wear fur go vintage. It's made better and at least no new animals need to be anally electrocuted for it. Fur is kind of gauche either way though.

I can't pull off the look myself, so I totally agree and honestly few really can --most people look dumb in it. Just my opinion.

But my friend does have a lot of really good vintage clothes already. She can pull off the old Hollywood glamor look.

26-12-2014, 01:46 PM
My thoughts are if you have an old fur coat and you like it, then wear it. The animals are not any less dead if you throw it away.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
26-12-2014, 02:20 PM
(26-12-2014 01:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 12:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  If you must wear fur go vintage. It's made better and at least no new animals need to be anally electrocuted for it. Fur is kind of gauche either way though.

I can't pull off the look myself, so I totally agree and honestly few really can --most people look dumb in it. Just my opinion.

But my friend does have a lot of really good vintage clothes already. She can pull off the old Hollywood glamor look.

Of course, at some point fuzzy animals die. They don't live forever. I think it's ok for your friend to keep the coat. There should be a statute of limitations for using dead animals for coats so when an animal has been dead for more than 25 years the fur should get a pass.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.