Is Vintage Fur Wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 02:29 PM
RE: Is Vintage Fur Wrong?
The only problem I see is that your friend will likely still get some looks. Quite possibly she'll have to explain its vintage every time she wears it. I don't know if your average person on the street would know right away whether it was new fur or old fur.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2014, 02:33 PM
(26-12-2014 02:29 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  The only problem I see is that your friend will likely still get some looks. Quite possibly she'll have to explain its vintage every time she wears it. I don't know if your average person on the street would know right away whether it was new fur or old fur.

That is very true.

I doubt she'd wear it often though. Fur doesn't bode well in rain.

Her sister!s almost overreaction to it was what really surprised me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Was the sister planning to re-animate the corpse? No? Well then hell no there is nothing even morally ambiguous about it. Tell her to shut the fuck up. Wasting the fur would be more wrong than wearing it.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
26-12-2014, 07:51 PM
(26-12-2014 12:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A good friend got a gorgeous sable fur coat from her husband for Christmas (it's from the 1950s -- I think it actually belonged to a relative).

Her sister threw a pissy fit. According to my friend there were tears and yelling.

Saying any fur is wrong.

Personally I don't see a problem with it. I would think its better to make use of older pieces than support new ones...if I actually cared about that.

So, what are your thoughts?

Jealousy is a green eyed monster.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-12-2014, 06:52 AM
Recently I bought a new hat made out of boar and sheep skin sewed with boar sinew and decorated with horse hair. Nobody cared at all, but the one time that I considered buying a stuffed fox from an antique shop I was threatened with physical violence by multiple people. All of those people were happy to eat cows, sheep, chickens and deer though, and to wear cow, pig and sheep.

It seems to depend on how cute an animal is. Wear a cat and you'll quickly find yourself covered in paint and acid, and the news will demonise you for wearing a cat while reporting on your extreme disfiguration and a new life as a care home resident. Don't even want to try wearing a seal, you shall surely be put to death. Cows though, and boar, sheep, pigs, all that; totally fine coz those things are ugly.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
27-12-2014, 07:05 AM
(27-12-2014 06:52 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Recently I bought a new hat made out of boar and sheep skin sewed with boar sinew and decorated with horse hair. Nobody cared at all, but the one time that I considered buying a stuffed fox from an antique shop I was threatened with physical violence by multiple people. All of those people were happy to eat cows, sheep, chickens and deer though, and to wear cow, pig and sheep.

It seems to depend on how cute an animal is. Wear a cat and you'll quickly find yourself covered in paint and acid, and the news will demonise you for wearing a cat while reporting on your extreme disfiguration and a new life as a care home resident. Don't even want to try wearing a seal, you shall surely be put to death. Cows though, and boar, sheep, pigs, all that; totally fine coz those things are ugly.

I replied earlier that there's no difference between furs and wearing a leather jacket, with the only caveat being how it was done.

To expand on that, it is my own personal view that what matters is how we treat the animals. Not everyone might agree but I believe it is good to respect the animal in both life and death. Prevent suffering in life; be not wasteful of the animal in death.

But this is not a belief to die in a ditch for: I happen to think that developing the habit of respect for nature is valuable for human physical and psychological welfare.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post