Is a college education worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 06:45 AM
Is a college education worth it?
Well, compare schools in this interactive from the Whitehouse to see: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov

Kind of neat. It allows you to look at the graduation rate, cost of tuition, and average salary after attending that particular school.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
14-09-2015, 06:47 AM
RE: Is a college education worth it?
Next time in the title please specify nation.

Having said that, I just began a name with two names, but two names only Aussies would know.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-09-2015, 06:49 AM
I assume most places don't have to wonder if a college education is worth the cost, since the cost isn't as inflated as it is in the US.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
14-09-2015, 07:14 AM
What's a college education and when can I have one?

Blush

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-09-2015, 07:15 AM
(14-09-2015 07:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  What's a college education and when can I have one?

Blush

You can have George W. Bush's....

He's not using it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-09-2015, 07:18 AM
(14-09-2015 06:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, compare schools in this interactive from the Whitehouse to see: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov

Kind of neat. It allows you to look at the graduation rate, cost of tuition, and average salary after attending that particular school.

"You".

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
14-09-2015, 07:23 AM
If you have a specific, researched objective in mind, AND use the degree as one of many building blocks rather than as the sole bullet on an otherwise irrelevant résumé, then yes it is generally worth it. If you go get a degree just for the sake of getting a degree under the assumption that it will automatically fill your life with sunshine and rainbows, only to show it to a prospective employer and have them say "So? Every other person has one of those, what else you got?" then you'll probably end up wasting your money and not increasing your chances of getting the job you want.

A killer instinct and a drive to crush the competition doesn't hurt either Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
14-09-2015, 07:58 AM
As a parent who's going to be paying tuition next year, I think costs of college education here in the US are hard to justify, especially since they've wildly outpaced inflation and wage increases. It's going to cost us $25-30K per year to send my son to a state school, if he winds up not getting some kind of assistance. However, we see college as giving him the best career prospects over the long term, so we're going to write the tuition and board checks and make sure he enters the workforce debt-free and educated.

I went to a very expensive school for undergrad in the 80s, didn't graduate, and a decade later I attended a pretty expensive graduate school. I have a master's but no bachelor's. Scholarships and grants covered a significant amount lot of my expenses at both schools, and I feel my education was worth every penny.

Even a couple of years of college can be positioned as a positive in the job market.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
14-09-2015, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2015 10:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Yes.
But there are creative ways to do it, and if your parents are even modestly well-off, there's little help. Best to be really disadvantaged (or really well-off) if you want to go to some of the big names. I think people should have short and long term goals. Go to a community college, and stay home for two years. Do all the crap pre-reqs (or do them while still in high school), for whatever you want to do, inexpensively. There is no reason at all to go to Stanford or MIT and take Freshman English. Weeping Then do something that will get you nicely employed with a BA/BS, (like engineering, nursing, accounting or whatever), and start working on your long term goals, in the field, while working at a place that will pay your tuition for the Master's in the field you want to end up in. That way you won't end up with a shit-load of debt. My buddy Justin was in the Air-Force (he was an EMT out of high-school), and he went somewhere that got him trrained to be a (medical) coder. He makes about $35.00 an hour, works at home, works part-time, picks up shifts now and then as an EMT for fun, and goes to school part time. His home situation was not good, so he had to get out ASAP. He doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up, but at least he's not accumulating debt.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
14-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Those of you in the U.S. who are thinking of sending your kids away to college might want to consider Canadian universities:
Why?
1) very easy to apply (eligibility is strictly based on marks, no essays or extracurricular activities considered)
2) consistently excellent teaching and research standards across the board (all universities are provincially and federally funded and there is little variability in standards, even across provinces)
3) well-respected internationally (i.e, even the University of Ottawa, which you've probably never heard of, is among the top 2% globally, according to Leiden rankings)
4) US students are still eligible for US government grants and funding, and
5) comparably dirt cheap, even for foreign students. And that's not even factoring in the exchange rate. For example, at Ivy-league-comparable McGill, a BSc undergrad foreign student can expect to pay $36,651 CDN ( that's $USD 27,600) for tuition, which includes health insurance . Plus they get to live in downtown Montreal, still a relatively cheap place to live, before factoring in all those "entertainment expenses" . Smartass

(Warning: all these savings go out the window if you pick University of Toronto or UBC, just because of the high cost of living in Vancouver or Toronto)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post