Is a greenish moon possible??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2015, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 08:39 PM by Erikjust.)
Is a greenish moon possible??
In Warhammer 40.000 Eldar lore it is said that their maiden world had three moons and one of them where Greenish and dim.

Now my question is if that lore was churned through real science.

Would such a moon actually be possible and how would it look from the surface of an Earth like planet?

Would it actually be greenish to the naked eye and if so what shade of green are we talking about dark bright or something in between?

Or wouldn´t it matter one bit, as when we take in factors of the spectrum of light our eyes can see, plus the chemical nature of an atmosphere like Earths.
The moon would always appear to be whitish in the light it reflects down to Earth?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2015, 06:05 PM
RE: Is a greenish moon possible??
Maybe it's high in copper; doesn't Mars look reddish because of a high iron content?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
03-05-2015, 07:14 PM
(03-05-2015 05:45 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  In Warhammer 40.000 Eldar lore it is said that their maiden world had three moons and one of them where Greenish and dim.

Now my question is if that lore was churned through real science.

Would such a moon actually be possible and how would it look from the surface of an Earth like planet?

Would it actually be greenish to the naked eye and if so what shade of green are we talking about dark bright or something in between?

Or wouldn´t it matter one bit, as when we take in factors of the spectrum of light our eyes can see, plus the chemical nature of an atmosphere like Earths.
The moon would always appear to be whitish in the light it reflects down to Earth?

How about green vegetation? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-05-2015, 07:18 PM
(03-05-2015 06:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Maybe it's high in copper; doesn't Mars look reddish because of a high iron content?

Copper turns green when it oxidizes, no oxygen on the Moon.
03-05-2015, 07:26 PM
(03-05-2015 07:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  Copper turns green when it oxidizes, no oxygen on the Moon.

I don't think we are talking about Luna. I think we are just talking about a random moon.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
(03-05-2015 07:26 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 07:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  Copper turns green when it oxidizes, no oxygen on the Moon.

I don't think we are talking about Luna. I think we are just talking about a random moon.

Ah, gotcha. Thumbsup
Well, gasses show different color signatures, oxygen shows green. Maybe a hypothetical moon with an oxygen rich atmosphere would appear green-ish?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
03-05-2015, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 08:39 PM by Erikjust.)
The question is however could a moon orbiting around a planet the size of the Earth ever be big enough, for it´s gravity to be strong enough to hold oxygen?
I could imagine that it would have to be the size of Mars and such an orbit probably wouldn´t be stable in the long term, at least not long enough for intelligent life to evolve on it and reach the peak of civilization.

So if we take an earth like planet maybe a little bigger, but not enough that humans couldn´t potentially live on it.
At the same time the planet has 3 moons (wonder how the orbit would look) and the green one is described as dim, which probably means it´s furthest away.
I could imagine that it would be around the same size as our moon (Astronomy isn´t my strongest side) what materials could it be made of that would make it look green and how would it look like for the people on the surface.
Would it be a dim dark green color or how would it look?
04-05-2015, 06:44 AM
(03-05-2015 08:21 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  The question is however could a moon orbiting around a planet the size of the Earth ever be big enough, for it´s gravity to be strong enough to hold oxygen?

Perhaps it was originally part of a larger body and was split off in a collision (like the proposed creation of the earth's moon) and was captured by the planet it now orbits.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-05-2015, 08:44 AM
isnt there a way to green with angles of light? kind of like there is a flash of green when the sun sets, its a "bend" in the light rays....or something like that --I don't have enough coffee in my system to properly think thru.

kwim?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Such a question. OMG. Not only is it possible, but it's probable.
The moon is, after all, made of green cheese. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post