Is a greenish moon possible??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2015, 10:05 PM
RE: Is a greenish moon possible??
(08-06-2015 05:41 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 09:42 PM)Timj Wrote:  Relative to we humans, they would only see in green. Everything is relative to the observer. (:

Yeah but as I already explained, 'they' wouldn't describe it as 'green', especially if EVERYTHING they see is green.
You need to reread the OP's question. To we humans, a moon reflecting the "green range" wavelength of light, would indeed be interpreted as green by us. It could even be assumed that the inhabitants have no way of receiving EM radiation with their senses.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2015, 12:37 AM
(12-06-2015 10:05 PM)Timj Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 05:41 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Yeah but as I already explained, 'they' wouldn't describe it as 'green', especially if EVERYTHING they see is green.
You need to reread the OP's question. To we humans, a moon reflecting the "green range" wavelength of light, would indeed be interpreted as green by us. It could even be assumed that the inhabitants have no way of receiving EM radiation with their senses.

Eldar are not human.
Eldar lore described it as green... Not a human account.
Another poster posed "maybe they can only see in green."
Hence the explanation.
Your argument is invalid.
13-06-2015, 08:53 AM
(13-06-2015 12:37 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 10:05 PM)Timj Wrote:  You need to reread the OP's question. To we humans, a moon reflecting the "green range" wavelength of light, would indeed be interpreted as green by us. It could even be assumed that the inhabitants have no way of receiving EM radiation with their senses.

Eldar are not human.
Hence the explanation.
OP's question:

"Or wouldn´t it matter one bit, as when "WE" take in factors of the spectrum of light "OUR" eyes can see, plus the chemical nature of an atmosphere like Earths.
The moon would always appear to be whitish in the light it reflects down to Earth?"

Smile
13-06-2015, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2015 10:40 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
(13-06-2015 08:53 AM)Timj Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 12:37 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Eldar are not human.
Hence the explanation.
OP's question:

"Or wouldn´t it matter one bit, as when "WE" take in factors of the spectrum of light "OUR" eyes can see, plus the chemical nature of an atmosphere like Earths.
The moon would always appear to be whitish in the light it reflects down to Earth?"

Smile

I get it, the OP asks how we would see it through our own atmosphere. We're missing several crucial bits of information though from the perspective of the Eldar who described the 'green' moon.

What atmosphere does the Eldars home world have?
What type of star do they orbit? What light does it emit?

And possibly most importantly: What does an Eldar see as "green", since they aren't human?

So here we go again. Recap:

- Eldar are not human.
- Eldar lore described it as green... Not a human account.
- You posed "maybe they can only see in green."
- Hence the explanation:

If Eldar could only see in the 500-560nm range, they wouldn't describe everything as 'green', since that would be completely useless...

"Hey pass me that thing..."
"The green one?"
"No, the green one."

Get it yet?
13-06-2015, 10:58 AM
(13-06-2015 10:34 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 08:53 AM)Timj Wrote:  OP's question:

Smile

I get it, the OP asks how we would see it through our own atmosphere. We're missing several crucial bits of information though from the perspective of the Eldar who described the 'green' moon.

And possibly most importantly: What does an Eldar see as "green", since they aren't human?

- Eldar are not human.
- Hence the explanation:

If Eldar could only see in the 500-560nm range, they wouldn't describe everything as 'green', since that would be completely useless...

"The green one?"
"No, the green one."

Get it yet?

Do you always get this upset when you are incorrect? Lol
13-06-2015, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2015 02:45 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
(13-06-2015 10:58 AM)Timj Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 10:34 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I get it, the OP asks how we would see it through our own atmosphere. We're missing several crucial bits of information though from the perspective of the Eldar who described the 'green' moon.

- Eldar are not human.
- Hence the explanation:

"The green one?"
"No, the green one."

Get it yet?

Do you always get this upset when you are incorrect? Lol

How am I supposed to know how upset you are about it? I suppose, regardless, the answer is no; I don't get upset when I'm wrong about something. You shouldn't either. And hey, now that your ill logic has been explained, you'll be less likely to make the same error in the future.

... Or are you projecting? You somehow still think I'm incorrect? And upset? Did you still not understand why "maybe they can only see green." makes no sense when they're describing something as green? Consider

"(in) Eldar lore it is said that their maiden world had three moons and one of them where Greenish"
"maybe they only see in green?" *derp* Hobo
14-06-2015, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2015 10:43 AM by Timj.)
(13-06-2015 02:40 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 10:58 AM)Timj Wrote:  Do you always get this upset when you are incorrect? Lol

How am I supposed to know how upset you are about it? I suppose, regardless, the answer is no; I don't get upset when I'm wrong about something. You shouldn't either. And hey, now that your ill logic has been explained, you'll be less likely to make the same error in the future.

... Or are you projecting? You somehow still think I'm incorrect? And upset? Did you still not understand why "maybe they can only see green." makes no sense when they're describing something as green? Consider

"(in) Eldar lore it is said that their maiden world had three moons and one of them where Greenish"

You seem to be a very sensitive man. Easily offended, quick to throw insults. I hope you can find patience in life.
14-06-2015, 01:33 PM
(14-06-2015 10:25 AM)Timj Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 02:40 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  How am I supposed to know how upset you are about it? I suppose, regardless, the answer is no; I don't get upset when I'm wrong about something. You shouldn't either. And hey, now that your ill logic has been explained, you'll be less likely to make the same error in the future.

You seem to be a very sensitive man. Easily offended, quick to throw insults. I hope you can find patience in life.

Pro tip: That voice in your head when you read a post, isn't actually the voice of the poster. The lack of tone or infection is not an invitation to choose your own; that would be projecting. Occasionally, these projections will paint a better picture of yourself than of the poster. An in-person conversation would leave you with a completely different impression.

For future reference, my tone is usually somewhere between pleasant interest and cold sarcasm.