Is a sufficiently complex simulation of you....you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 02:25 PM
RE: Is a sufficiently complex simulation of you....you?
(27-08-2012 02:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think we're going to need Bishadi to be able to answer this. It's pretty complex. Consider

Fuck no.
he will say :
"Yes, if the volume of the fullerene emits a gamma wave into your butt".
"No, if f=ma talks to your wife, and she says, 'nah, just turn the fucker off' ".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-08-2012, 02:38 PM
How'd we be able to know that? A simulation that precise is probably as far in the future as is travelling to Mars on a regular basis. After all, we don't even fully understand everything about the human brain (yet). That being said, even if that technology did exist, it would still be a simulation, programmed to do certain things. AI is always bound to the possibilities implemented by it's programmer, whereas humans are not.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
27-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Don't see much difference between brain in a vat and brain in a meat sack myself.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
27-08-2012, 03:35 PM
(27-08-2012 02:38 PM)Vosur Wrote:  How'd we be able to know that? A simulation that precise is probably as far in the future as is travelling to Mars on a regular basis. After all, we don't even fully understand everything about the human brain (yet). That being said, even if that technology did exist, it would still be a simulation, programmed to do certain things. AI is always bound to the possibilities implemented by it's programmer, whereas humans are not.

There's a difference between precision and accuracy. Smartass

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
27-08-2012, 04:01 PM
(27-08-2012 03:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't see much difference between brain in a vat and brain in a meat sack myself.

[Image: f91168481a6f9c0414d2a0a1157d04fba58d1f06.pjpg]

I'll wager 200 Quatloos! On the newcomer!

If you end up living a fraction of a moment during this copies life, wouldn't that definitely make it a copy? Unless it's imitating you in everything you say or do before you kick it and even then, that's considered copying...

I think I'd rather not have a copy. Living to be a copy is just as strange as living for a spiritual afterlife, to me. Even with the old saying 'You're born original and you die a copy', I still see no comfort in it.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
27-08-2012, 04:15 PM
One of my favourite movies (covering the concept being discussed)

[Image: moon-movie-poster.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
28-08-2012, 04:07 AM
I don't really understand those who are saying it "of course" would be a copy. This is just special pleading, the thought experiment is that every single - that is absolutely every piece - of information that makes you, You - as a separate thing from everyone else - is recreated identically. To say its just a copy is surely to say that there's some other information that for some reason can't be recreated.
Remember, individual atoms do not have identities, if, right now, every electron in your body was replaced with the electrons from the wall, it would not make any difference to you. Wink

Leonardo da Vinci Wrote:While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Epicurus Wrote:Death means nothing to us...when we exist, death is not yet present, and when death is present, then we do not exist.
[+] 1 user Likes Carnifex's post
28-08-2012, 08:14 AM
(27-08-2012 03:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 02:38 PM)Vosur Wrote:  How'd we be able to know that? A simulation that precise is probably as far in the future as is travelling to Mars on a regular basis. After all, we don't even fully understand everything about the human brain (yet). That being said, even if that technology did exist, it would still be a simulation, programmed to do certain things. AI is always bound to the possibilities implemented by it's programmer, whereas humans are not.

There's a difference between precision and accuracy. Smartass
I wonder what that difference may be. Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
28-08-2012, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 08:41 AM by Logica Humano.)
(28-08-2012 08:14 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 03:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There's a difference between precision and accuracy. Smartass

For instance, if I had a bow and some arrows:

a) Precision - If the target were the center of the bullseye, and I hit the outside ring constantly, I would remain precise but not accurate.

b) Accuracy - If the target were the center of the bullseye, and I hit the center, I would have been accurate. If I hit the center multiple times, I'd be both accurate and precise.

But I am just acting like an asshole. The context in which you are using the word is correct if we are implying that the replication of our mind would be precisely similar to what it was before.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
28-08-2012, 08:38 AM
(28-08-2012 08:14 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 03:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There's a difference between precision and accuracy. Smartass

Say you have a thermometer that can measure to a precision of 0.1°C, but is miscalibrated by ±3°C. Then your readings will have a precision of 0.1°C, but aren't accurate.
If, on the other hand, you have a thermometer that can measure to 0.5°C and is correctly calibrated, your accuracy is ±0.5°C.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post