Is a sufficiently complex simulation of you....you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 09:57 PM
RE: Is a sufficiently complex simulation of you....you?
(08-10-2012 05:27 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 05:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No (I)diot and (I)diot, I^2, double idiot, idiot squared
The copy of the neural pathways would have chemically encoded the SAME experiences, up to the point of the copy. AFTER the copy, they would diverge. Do you know what the word "copy" means ? Try harder.

After the copies they would diverge and have their own experiences, making them different, therefore not you.

didn't you say you thought about this?

After you made this post, you have had other experiences of your own.. Has that not made you different. Are you therefore not you when you made this post?

Remember, he says the original you died, so there is not multiple people walking around. Just the copied version; how is that any different?

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Most if not all of the cells in your body are new cells as compared to the cells that have existed and died since you were a child. The brain on the other hand..

This reminds me of a book I'm reading called "The Mind's I" - was given to me at a local atheist meet, nice group of people. It's been a very interesting book about consciousness and the identification of just what one is. A tad dated, but still great, and with a lot of mental exercises, examples and essays.
Find all posts by this user
26-10-2012, 07:50 AM
No. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user